Hi everyone - sorry for the lack of updates! Lots of new stuff to report. The big news is that I hauled a big box of prints to New York last weekend for Kim to sign, which means that rewards can start shipping out in the next couple weeks, once I get organized! (Kim also signed all the colophon pages for the book, so I won't have to wait for them to travel through the mail later on when the books are done.)
To that end, I'll be sending out the backer survey shortly. If you orderd *just* a print, I should be able to ship it this month. If you ordered a print and a book and can wait for everything to ship when it's done, that would be a big help, saving me both time and postage money.
One of the neat things about this project is that a lot of the prints aren't reproductions of original artwork. For instance, the $25 reward print was originally a stone lithograph with the color added later. There's even a reproduction of a page printed in the LA Weekly 20+ years ago that I souped up in Photoshop, and it looks really snazzy. So, unlike a print collection in which the prints are simulacra of actual original pieces, the prints in this book ARE the only extant copies of a lot of this work. Someone call Baudrillard.
Because a lot of these prints are of pages that already had Kim's signature on them, I decided to have all the prints signed on the back. I even had a fancy stamp made to make everything look super authentic.
Oh, here is the $10 reward print, too. I like this one a lot.
In other news, the preview book is also done, so those of you who pledged at the $5 reward tier will get that soon. I tried to make this a cool stand-alone book, without giving too much away and reducing the value of the main edition. I like how it came out.
These photos are kind of crappy, since they're all cell phone pics, so hopefully you can see through the bad focus and color casts to enjoy what's underneath.
What will I be working on next? I'll tell you:
1) I discovered a problem with the process detailed in the last update (making the fold-out panoramas). It's a long, boring, technical story about adhesives and chemicals, but needless to say, one of the materials I picked didn't work out, and I need to change glues. I'm pissed about this, because the whole point of the materials I chose was that they're supposed to be the best. Even the manufacturer of the adhesive (a Ph.D. in chemistry and professional art conservateur) said he had never heard of my issue and was baffled by it. So, I need to revamp some stuff, adapt to working with a wet glue, run a bunch of stability tests, and figure it out. This may push the delivery of deluxe editions back.
2) I now have all the materials I need to make the polymer plate that will be used to print the letterpress portions of the book (namely: the artwork for the letterpress print and the cover design). Here's the letterpress print artwork:
And here's the cover design, which came out GREAT!
Okay, that's it for now! I'll be back with more process updates in a couple more weeks. And keep an eye out for the backer survey! I hope to get that out this weekend.