We're publishing a book!
Within 24 hours of launching on Kickstarter, we successfully hit our modest target to fund a minimum order with a publisher, and to see our Quantum Leap guide on its way to publication! We've now got until the campaign closes on 31st August, 8pm (British Summer Time) to sell as many pre-orders as we can - every extra book sold helps us fund a little more time spent on the cover, design, proof-checks and extra commissions!
Check out these sample extracts from the book:
Do you fondly remember Quantum Leap, the brilliant sci-fi drama from the '90s starring Scott Bakula and Dean Stockwell?
We’re Matt and Kevin of TME Books, and we’d like your help to publish Beyond the Mirror Image: An Observer’s Guide to Quantum Leap.
What’s it all about?
BTMI is an exhaustive in-depth guide to the episodes (and comics, and novels) of this classic series. We delve into the behind-the-scenes stories and note interesting onscreen things you may have missed. It’s like watching with an expert sat next to you!
There have been other books written about Quantum Leap, but none as detailed as this. We've read the other guides (and you'll find notes about them within BTMI) but the entire text of our book is brand new and supported by over a year of intense research... as well as nearly twenty-five years of watching and appreciating the show.
What's in the book that I can't get elsewhere?
We're certain there'll be something new within BTMI for every fan of the show. For every episode we've covered the following topics:
- The Leap Date as stated on-screen, plus the actual date and duration of the leap
- Production Codes taken from original production paperwork
- Broadcast Dates
- Durations of the original NTSC episode
- Alternative Titles from early scripts, TV trailers, international versions and fan nicknames
- Leap In, a summary of the pre-credits leap sequence, to help you find that episode you half-remember from the cliffhanger
- Episode Synopsis, many of which are taken from contemporary previews
- Press Adverts reproduced from original cuttings
- Awards and nominations, from Emmies to Golden Globes
- Cut Scenes from draft scripts (for selected episodes), including minor differences in script-to-screen comparisons
- Kisses (and Misses) with History, pointing out where Quantum Leap interacts with real historical events - and where it tries to!
- Al's Outfits, detailing the questionable fashions of the Project Observer
- Al's Loves, documenting in eyebrow-raising detail the number of women that Al admires or recalls
- Sam and Al Know Everything, a cheeky guide to the many professions and skills that Sam and Al claim to have mastered, that come in very handy for many of the leaps
- Music listings for the contemporary background tunes heard in the show, along with details about which tracks were removed from the original US DVDs
- Allusions to other historical or fictional characters, books, films and events
- Goofs, from anachronisms to continuity mistakes
- Production Notes: the behind-the-scenes story, sourced from interviews, news reports, press cuttings, convention panels, documentaries, podcasts and new research.
- Cast and Crew, including full credits
- Historical Events, an occasional guide (selected episodes only) to the real background behind certain themes, topics and issues
- The Project, noting the small amounts of detail gradually revealed about the futuristic Project Quantum Leap
- Notes and Observations, analysing the episode in more detail! We find cross-references to other episodes, changes made to the show around the world (particularly in France, Germany and Italy, thanks to their respective releases on DVD), viewer ratings, and any other notable points.
- Alternate Leap Outs, explaining where you might see Sam leaping to next, depending on which of the many versions of the episode you're watching
- End Credits, noting the ever-changing house style for ending the show!
- Review: Matt's personal opinion of each episode
Each of the comics and novels are explored in similar detail.
And that's not all! As well as the main guide to the episodes, you'll also find:
- A detailed look at the birth of Quantum Leap and the many contradictory anecdotes told about its creation!
- Introductions to each Season, continuing the behind-the-scenes story
- A look at the unproduced scripts and undeveloped ideas during the life of the series
- The rumours and proposals for the continuation of the show after its cancellation in 1993, from animated series to films
Fancy a little more? We're still only halfway through the book! There's a MASSIVE appendix, detailing:
- A timeline of the QL universe, placing every known event (from the birth of individual characters to the events shown in the episodes) chronologically, and noting changes made to the timeline as a result of Sam's (and other's...) time travelling
- Home video releases
- Recommended viewing/reading order for all of Sam's adventures
- Alphabetical lists of all actors, directors and writers
- Analyses of the different saga sells and opening credits sequences
- Complete list of the music used in the show, by era
- All of the times Ziggy quoted specific odds for Sam to leap
- A US map of leap locations
- Sam's family tree
- Al's wardrobe: the complete guide
- UK video certifications guide
- US TV ratings analysis - peaks and troughs, and why they occurred
BTMI runs to over 700 pages and 300,000 words! No stone has been left unturned while compiling this celebration of our favourite show.
Why do we need your help?
This is a very weighty, deluxe, hardback. Sending it straight down the print-on-demand route would have meant a cost of over £100 per copy, placing it outside the price range of many fans. With our Kickstarter target reached, we can now approach a small printer for much lower prices. We have a quote for £25 a book, with colour pages, and thanks to our early backers we've secured the minimum order necessary to make sure the book WILL be printed!
With your support, we can continue to sell further copies, and will be able to use the extra funds for some additional work on the text and design. Our campaign updates will give further detail on the extra work we have planned, and how we plan to deliver!
When will it be available?
Here’s the great news – Beyond the Mirror Image is written. It's in a state where it could be published "as is" to an acceptable level. We're shortly going to be entering a phase of giving it a professional design, which will take some weeks, but is currently the only major step left. After that, we can go straight to print and distribution, with an aim to fulfil UK orders (and hopefully overseas too) in time for Christmas 2016!
What do I get for my support?
There are numerous tiers of rewards available, so you can get involved whatever your budget. A copy of the finished, professionally-published hardbook book will cost you £25 (with a limited number available at an earlybird rate!), plus postage, and all pledges above £5 will receive a "thanks to" credit within the pages of the book.
Step into the Quantum Leap Accelerator…
Please message us, or join us in the comments, to ask any questions. Between us, we’ve backed over 150 Kickstarter projects, and we’re really excited to be launching this and working with you to build our own community.
Gooshie, centre us in on Sam!
This is a fan-produced episode guide reviewing Quantum Leap. It is not authorised nor affiliated with Universal Studios or Bellisarius Productions. No breach of copyright is intended.
Risks and challenges
There are minimal risks associated with this project.
The book is already almost completely written, with just some final proofreading for typos taking place. We are currently in the design phase, ensure the text looks as beautiful as possible. There are only a small number of people involved in these stages, however even in the unlikely event of these two steps failing, the book is still at a publishable stage right now.
We have engaged with a reputable printing company to ensure a speedy high quality turnaround (which includes a proof copy for us to check prior to the full print run) and have several alternatives ready as backups should there be any problems in this stage. Simultaneously to this, the art cards will be printed via a separate company, and again we have backups in place.
Once the books have arrived with us, a small number of us will take responsibility for individual packing and reshipment.
If we fail to reach our target for a minimum order with our hardback publisher, we will explore other means of printing and distributing the book at a later date - though the colour pages and high quality manufacturing will likely be compromised.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (23 days)