ChupacabraCon is Austin's premier analog gaming conference. We are known for being small, intimate and for giving amazing access to game designers.* Play games run by the makers of your favorite RPGs, play a board game with its creators, learn from published authors at panels and more!
ChupacabraCon 4 will once again be at the Wingate Hotel & Conference Center in Round Rock, Texas (just North of Austin) May 12-14, 2017.
So why are we kickstarting our 4th year? The con will happen even if the Kickstarter doesn't make - but if it does? We'll be able to bring more guests and do more fun things for you guys.
Our Angel investor has done what they promised and supported the con for the first 3 years. Now it's time for us to fly on our own. As is we can bring 12 guests (some are volunteering their time and travel expenses). Usually we have closer to 30 professional guests. In order to meet that goal we need your help.
Plus? You can save money by pledging now rather than waiting until regular ticket sales go live. Regular pre-registration (post-Kickstarter) is $50 online. On-site registration is $60 for the weekend.
Our goal of $5000 will bring the number of guests up to 17. Once funded we will announce stretch goals to bring even more amazing special guests to Austin!
2017 Guest List (so far!):
- Cam Banks
- Clint Black
- Jodi Black
- Mark Carroll (added 10/3)
- Jeff Dee (added 10/9)
- Anne-Marie Edens De Witt (added 11/1)
- Sean Patrick Fannon
- Shane Ivey
- Talzhemir Mrr (added 10/9)
- Brandon Christopher Peterson
- Donna Prior
- Michael Satran
- Gareth-Michael Skarka
- Dennis Sustare (added 10/3)
- George Vasilakos
- Ross Watson
- Ed Wetterman
- Avonelle Wing (added 11/1)
With your help funding the Kickstarter we'll be able to add more guests to our roster such as:
- Jamie Chambers (added 10/5)
- John Wick (added 10/11)
- Kenneth Hite (added 10/22)
- Robert Schwalb (added 10/15)
(more announcements coming soon)
Swag includes two t-shirt designs to choose from in gray, black or white, exclusive bennies and dice towers!
Please note that all items will be available for pickup at the convention (or if we make a stretch goal at a special pre-show event). If for any reason you are unable to attend we will make arrangements to ship your Kickstarter swag after the convention.
How are we addressing issues at last year's Con?
Thanks to input from last year's con-goers we will be making some changes that we hope you'll enjoy.
1) FOOD - while there are plenty of options within walking distance of the hotel, many of us prefer to stay put so we can prepare for our games, shop with vendors and hang with friends. The food options provided by the hotel last year were not great. This year we will be contracting with another food service provider and curating what is provided. We will do our best to keep prices down; however, Con food is never going to be cheap since it costs extra to make it available on site. But at least it will be good food!
2) REGISTRATION - we know there were issues with registration, both for the convention and for game signup. We are working diligently to make that process much smoother for you. In addition, if you purchase tickets on-site we will do our best to make that easy and fast.
3) T-SHIRTS - There were a variety of complaints about shirts in year 3 including color, style, availability and how GM shirts were handled. This time not only will we be giving you more options but T-Shirts will be on-demand printed and tied to a particular name so there is no confusion as to who gets what. Plus? You'll have more choice in what you order.
4) MISC - Other things we're addressing: more signs, Con 101 information for booklet, map of outside food locations, big map at entrance, more information and visibility for silent auction, better information on game library and open gaming.
What about scholarships? We want to provide an opportunity for students who otherwise could not afford to attend to come to the convention. Budding game developers will write an essay to be judged by our special guests to award however many scholarships we get funded.
Every $25 raised by supporting pledges will equal one scholarship, if the total is not an exact match for a particular number of scholarships our Angel investor will make up the difference. For example, let's say we raised $110 in scholarships, $100 of it will guarantee 4 scholarships. Our Angel will provide the needed funds to make that last $10 into $25 to fund a total of 5 scholarships.
In addition, a portion of the proceeds from this year's conference will benefit Austin Creative Pathways, a local nonprofit dedicated to providing educational opportunities for underserved youth.
What the heck are Chango Bucks?
During the convention they are usable at tables for $1 re-rolls and during the Celebrity Game. They are not usable for any other purpose and are not legal tender. If you do not have dollar bills (like many of us who use credit cards for everything), you can "buy" Chango Bucks at the convention to use as your dollar re-roll /charity game currency during the con.
What about add-ons?
- $25 per additional membership (if you want a second VIP or Super VIP membership pledge separately so we don't get confused)
- $5 convention scholarship fund support
- $20 Convention T-Shirt
- $25 Kickstarter Exclusive T-Shirt
- $10 Chango Dice Tower
- $10 Kickstarter Exclusive Chango Poker Chips (25)
To get add-ons:
1. Make your pledge like normal
2. Click the “manage your pledge” button on the project’s page.
3. Increase your pledge by the amount needed to claim the add-on(s).
4. Save your pledge. Do not change the tier that you originally pledged at.
If the campaign is successfully funded, we will send around a survey during the fulfillment phase of Kickstarter for you to choose which add-ons you wanted and for things like t-shirt size/color.
*Guest Lists for the past two years:
2016 guests included: Aaron de Orive, Brian Engard, Brandon Christopher Peterson, Cam Banks, Clint Black, David "Diesel" LaForce, Donna Prior, Ed Wetterman, Gareth-Michael Skarka, Geoffrey Kuhns, Greg Stolze, Jamie Chambers, Jeff Dee, Jennifer Rehnay, Jeremy the Artist, Jodi Black, John Wick, Kenneth Hite, Kevin G. Nunn, Michael Satran, Preston DuBose, Priscilla Kim, Robert Schwalb, Ross Watson, Sean Patrick Fannon, Shane Ivey, Shane Lacy Hensley, Steven S. Long, and Talzhemir Mrr! Organized play by D&D Adventurer's League and The Pathfinder Society.
2015 guests included: Cam Banks, Clint Black, Daniel Burrow, Jamie Chambers, Jeff Dee, Brian Engard, Sean Patrick Fannon, Shane Lacy Hensley, Kenneth Hite, Steve Kenson, Geoffrey Kuhns, Diesel LaForce, Robin D. Laws, Caitlin Mills, Cory Mills, Jason Morningstar, Kevin G. Nunn, Jennifer Rehnay, Michael Satran, Ross Watson, Ed Wetterman, John Wick, The Heroes of Rokugan, and The Pathfinder Society.
Risks and challenges
We've got a great staff, a fantastic venue and three years of experience in order to make sure this con comes off without a hitch - - but challenges can happen!
Aside from the obvious (natural disaster, zombie outbreak etc), there are a few risks. It is always possible that a listed guest may have to cancel. If that happens we'll do our best to find a suitable replacement, given time.
While we have a signed contract with the venue it is possible that they may make an error and double book a room or forget to provide something like table linens. Our strategy is to stay on top of them, double and triple check everything both with our sales contact and the banquet captain.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (45 days)