About this project
Born from the idea of brewing beer in a hotel basement, Black Hole Beer Company quickly changed course and has blossomed into a full on center for beer advocacy.
Eric and Stephanie Marichal owners of Hotel Vendome, Chris Mewhinney owner of Mile Hi Brewing Supply, and a small group of investors are opening Prescott's newest brewery. Black Hole Beer Company will be located off Iron Springs Road in the former Hot Rodz bar and grill location. Besides a brewery and tap room the property will feature a home brew supply store and brew school with rotating class schedule. Scheduled for a January open we will be cranking out some unique and high gravity brews as well as implementing a barrel aging program. Until April our beer will be sold on tap at Hotel Vendome's Fremont Bar and other Prescott locations to be announced. In April we will be launching the grand opening of our tap room which include over 3000 square feet of outdoor space featuring two bocce ball courts, fire pits, and two covered seating areas.
Though we have signed our lease, begun renovations, and our equipment is slowly trickling in we are asking for help from our fellow beer lovers to expand our reach and develop innovative ideas. We may be a nano-brewery we like to think big and your Kickstarter funds will go directly to the following projects
1. Barrel Aging Program - At Black Hole Beer Company we will brewing many styles of beer and plan on doing a lot of experimenting with barrel aging. Currently we have some bourbon barrels on route but as the aging process can take anywhere from 3 months to 2 years we will need many more. With your help we will also be purchasing rum, cognac, port, tequila, and wine barrels.
2. Beer Experimentation - We have been working on a variety of brews and some of the favorites will be bottled for special releases. These will include some of the following.
- 'Porter 9 From Outer Space' - Chocolate Orange Imperial Porter with Bourbon, Port, and Rum Special Editions.
- 'Figs in Space' - Belgian Quad Brewed with Figs
- 'Planet of the Grapes' - Farmhouse Ale Aged in AZ Wine Barrels
- 'Krakatoa' - Imperial Stout Brewed with Kopi Luwak Coffee and Dutch Chocolate, Bourbon, Rum, and Cognac Special Editions
- Banana Pumpkin and Bourbon Barrel Imperial Pumpkin Porter
- Imperial Wheat Wine
Those are a few specific examples but we will also be cranking out some of the following styles our first year; DIPA, witbier, hefeweizen, barley wine, ESB, Kolsch, Wee Heavy, Lagers, and more.
We will be experimenting with barrels, locally sourced ingredients, and hopefully cultivating some of our own yeast.
3. Amazing Outdoor Space - Anyone that is lucky enough to live or visit Prescott knows that we have some fantastic weather. A big reason we chose our location is that we will have the biggest beer friendly outdoor space in Prescott. If we can hit our Kickstarter goal we should be able to complete all our outdoor projects which will include two bocce ball courts, a 12 foot covered farm table, two separate gas fire pit seating area, a hops and herb garden, and if we can get it past our legal beagles a birds eye view tree house booth.
4. Assemble a Team for Beer Festivals and Tasting Events - We think we have some great beer and want to be able to share it throughout Arizona and the Southwest. Some of your contributions will go towards purchasing equipment and covering expenses to send our team of volunteer Black Hole enthusiasts to various events throughout the year.
How to Contribute!
DONATE to our Kickstarter campaign, and not only will you be helping make Black Hole Beer Company out of this world, you'll also score great rewards! We only receive funding if we reach our 100% of our goal--it's all or nothing, all the more reason for you to donate! To help kick-start BHBC, please follow these simple steps:
1. CREATE a Kickstarter account.
It's simple, all it takes is an email and a password.
2. SIGN IN at Amazon.com
Kickstarter uses Amazon.com for payments. If you already have an account, you're all set. If not, it is easy to create one.3. DONATE
On our Kickstarter project page, pledge at whatever level you like. We have dozens of great rewards or, if you prefer, you can opt to not receive rewards. Your card will only be charged should we reach our full goal by November 2nd, 2013.4. SHARE
Whether you end up contributing or not we would appreciate you helping us spread the word about Black Hole Beer Company. Help us out by sharing this with your friends, family, coworkers, neighbors, cellmates, strangers, and whoever else crosses your path! The more support we receive, the sooner we can start serving up those craft beers that you love.
Whether you fund $5 or $500, or simply tell a friend we are opening we appreciate your support and for taking an interest in our little venture.
From the Team at Black Hole Beer Company
Risks and challenges
As with any new venture the smartest thing we can do is prepare for the unexpected the best we can. Having previous business experience has helped us keep on budget and reach our goals on our time line so far. Some things are out of our hands such as our TTB application which at this moment is sitting in some government office with no employees to work there. However we have signed our lease, renovations are well under way, our equipment has already begun to arrive, and in a few months regardless of what happens, Black Hole Beer Company will be open for business.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)