Play AR [augmented reality] is the world's easiest augmented reality video game creation software in a mobile app. Play AR takes video games out of the TV and turns them into a physical experience! Play AR was designed to let people with no programming experience play and create highly interactive augmented reality [AR] video games with just a few clicks. Best of all you can publish your creations as stand alone apps for smart phones and tablets!
AR Battlefield [editable global multi-user combat game]
With the release of Play AR, we will launch the augmented reality multi-user game call "AR Battlefield". AR Battlefield turns the entire planet into a futuristic, editable, multi-user augmented reality game. You can play against your friends or team up and play against neighboring towns, states and or even countries! AR Battlefield will overlay the real world with your AR creations. You can upload your own crazy weapons, fortifications, robots, vehicles and body armor. Your creations level up the longer you play. You can also download free models from a library of 1000s of creations. Turn your house into a impenetrable fortress or team up with neighborhood friends to fortify your entire city and defend against outside invaders! You can also create custom coded scripts for special animations and interactivity.
Play AR takes traditional video gaming out of the TV and turns into a physical experience that surrounds you in 3D. To play across a level, you will actually have to walk or run from one side to the other. Play AR gives users the power to transform public space into a virtual playground. Create games and experiences that interact with reality. The physical world becomes an editable level letting you create experiences once thought unimaginable. Knock over skyscrapers like dominoes with a giant sling shot. Play against neighboring towns or countries halfway around the world!
Creating a game level or interactive experience is easy!
Simply download the app. Type the desired object or character into the creation text field. [We have a library of over 1000 free objects to choose from and you can upload your own.] Press the "Create Button" and it will appear in front of you. Drag the object to where you want it with our multi touch interface. Resize and rotate it by clicking and dragging.
Upload and add interactivity to your creations!
To make your game, first create or download a 3D or 2D model. Open our free action / animation editor software. Choose the action you want from the action list [example - "auto target"]. Drag and drop your model onto the the editor and it will be applied to the model the next time you create it. You can also create custom interaction or AI scripts and use them with your creation.
Play AR will use the Unity Game Engine. Unity has a large and very active user group for Play AR users to tap into. Large amounts of Unity code is freely available and there are extensive tutorials ranging from beginner to advanced. Even though Play AR requires no programming experience, advanced users can challenge themselves with Unity.
Play AR is a globally networked game development environment. Games you create have a specific location on the face of the earth. Our AR technology will incorporate GPS and computer vision technology to position your models at specific locations of your choosing. For the future, we are planning on incorporating depth sensing technology like the Structure Sensor [now on Kickstarter] to enhance game play.
Play AR will have an account system that gives you control over who sees and can edit your creations. This makes it easy to work with friends on large scale collaborations. You can work on a game in private and then make it public at any point by changing the privacy settings. Best of all, once you have made the perfect AR video game you can export it as a stand alone smart phone / tablet app. You can also share or sell your creation on the Play AR Store. Other people will be able to play and edit your game depending on your privacy settings.
There will be 2 types of accounts "The Basic [Free]" and "The Pro Account".
The Basic [Free] Account will let anyone with a smartphone or tablet use Play AR to make AR video games anywhere. AR Battlefield will also be free on the basic account. Users can upload their own creations and add interactivity with the Play AR interactive software. Adds will support the free versions.
The Pro Account will be a paid for subscription that has the same features as the Basic Account but it will let users publish their creations as a stand alone apps. No adds, and the ability to save there creations [fortifications, weapons, robots, etc.].
Augmented Reality Wearables, Play as your Avatar! [see the rewards - perfect for Halloween!!]
We are also developing wearable clothing that will allow you to become your avatar. Wear AR armor that protects you during game play. Walk across the local park as your avatar or a giant dinosaur. We realize this technology is not perfect but it's still great fun to play with and we are continuing to develop it as new approaches become possible. See the rewards section and get your own for Halloween!
Play AR Store
Play AR encourages users to share or sell their creations in the Play AR Store. The Play AR store will be loaded with 1000's of free models and coded scripts for users to create games with. Users can also sell their creations for real world money. Users can give away or sell models, entire games, parts of games and code on the Play AR Store.
Play AR for Sports Training, Education, and Other Uses
Out of the box Play AR can create incredible and interactive experiences other than video games. Play AR is great for augmented sports [games and training], education, interactive experiences [art projects, tours, interactive mock-ups for clients] and architecture, etc. Use Play AR to prototype and publish whatever type of interactive AR experience you need in a snap.
We are developing Play AR as a sports trainer and simulator. Soon you will be able to study complex sporting techniques such as throwing a curve ball. You will be able to watch professional athletes in 3D as they perform different sporting maneuvers. You will have the ability to stop, pause, fast forward, slow motion and rewind the players movements. And you can walk around it in 3D to study it from all angles!
For education, Play AR can turn classroom learning into an out of the world adventure! Turn the playground into the surface of the moon with 2 clicks. Now students can actually explore a scale copy of the lunar surface in 3D. All the while learning has become a physical experience getting the students physically active!
Supported Devices from the Kickstarter Funding
Most smart phones and tablets will be supported from the kickstarter funding. All iphones 3gs or newer will be supported. Almost all android phones will be supported. In the very near future we plan to port Play AR to AR glasses like Google Glass and META's Space Glasses (a product funded by kickstarter), and so on. We already have collaborations going with these companies.
Our goal is to let you make the most immersive and creative gameplay experience possible. If you are interested in helping us code, model or market Play AR, please contact us.
With Play AR, we will liberate gamers from their TVs and turn gaming into a real experience.
Can we really do it?
Our team has been developing Mobile AR Apps for the last 5 years and our projects have been written about in the New York Times, Boing Boing, The Huffington Post, WIRED, the Boston Globe, NPR, the BBC, and Art in America just to name a few.
We have been developing mobile AR creation software for sometime. Our recent app creatAR lets you make anything anywhere with augmented reality!
**** DISCLAIMER creatAR is currently down due to a recent software update release by the SDK developers- we are very sorry about this!! Our focus right now is on Play AR so it might take a little while to get it u and running again- see footage of creatAR working on the creatAR website-
The app allows people with no programming experience to create models simply by asking for them. Once the model is created it can be edited from the app with just a few clicks. creatAR is free and is democratizing augmented reality creation. We created a tutorial library for creatAR to support the our users. We will also create a extensive series of tutorials for Play AR. Play AR will take creatAR to the next level by allowing people to create interactive AR games anywhere. See more on creatAR here>> http://creatarapp.blogspot.com/
Features that will be available in the release of Play AR funded through Kickstarter-
1. The ability to create interactive models and augmented reality games anywhere.
2. The ability to edit and modify models on site with multi-touch interface [resize, rotate, and reposition models].
3. The ability to upload your own models; 2D and 3D, interactive scripts as well as sound files to the Play AR server or host your creations on your own server.
4. The ability to create animation and interactivity with no programming experience.
5. A user account system complete with privacy settings.
6. An interactive online multi-user global network allowing users to play with and against other players from across the world.
7. Pro Account users can publish their creations to standalone smartphone apps for smartphones and tablets [the game must be approved by the platform maker].
8. The Play AR Store will give users access to 1000’s of free models to create with from the project launch. The ability to share or sell models, code, and games on The Play AR Store.
9. Playable/ editable version of AR Battlefield. We will release the massively multi-user AR battlefield game which lets users play against other users from across the world. The game lets users make their own creations and weapons to fortify their houses or hometowns. Users can also download creations from the Play AR Store.
9. There will be a tutorial video library showing how to use the different functions of Play AR.
10. Basic augmented reality wearables will be made that would allow users to play as their avatars.
11. Finally there will be a user forum where problems and ideas can be discussed.
What’s currently done on Play AR?
1. We have succeeded in creating a prototype which gives users the ability to create and modify models at specific geo-locations from a database.
2. We have achieved a multi-user networking. If you create something and someone else comes to the location where you made it they can see and experience it as well.
3. The multi-touch editing interface works as shown in the video. We are currently testing this prototype on different devices (iphone and android).
4. We have interactive models working.
5. Basic Augmented reality wearables work but the technology is not perfect. We will continue to develop this as AR technologies evolve.
What needs to be done to complete it?
1. What needs to be done is complex programming which will allow creation of scripts which include AI scripts, collision detection, behavior and other types of interactivity.
2. Although we have over 1000 models for the Play AR Store we would like to make more, giving users many choices to create from.
3. We need to create a library of interactive scripts.
4. We need to setup a dedicated server which will act as our main server for our online environment.
5. The tutorial library needs to be created.
6. The Play AR Store needs to be created.
7. The user forum needs to be created.
8. The account system needs to be created.
9. Although not promised in the Kickstarter funding we are porting this project to Google Glass as soon as it is possible.
10. Time required is anywhere between 4-7 months. We plan on beta testing by December.
How will the Kickstarter Funding be used?
Hardware and software- $5,000 (computers for development, software licenses, etc)
Programmers- $20,000 (App developers, Graphic and 3D designers, web programmers)
Testing, QA and marketing- $5,000 (testing on different phones, conducting large scale user testing and feedback session)
Risks and challenges
Challenges include the possibility that the performance of the app may differ from device to device. Almost all smart phones will be supported and future generations of smartphones will have more than enough power to play very complex games. Dealing with bugs that only affect a certain device type; for instance a certain version of Operating System on an Android phone will take time to fix but we will do our best. We will have a very active help-desk which will be run by our programmers and also by regular beta testers on different platforms. There will also be a forum where users can discuss different fixes and mods.
Another challenge includes taking care of copyright issues when users upload their own content. We plan to have an algorithm or a manual moderation system which will make sure no copyright laws are broken. ***note- the images in the video are for display purposes only. Also our moderation system will ban obscene content or any content that may be offensive to a different groups.
Risks involve physical injury during game playing and application security. To prevent physical injury, we will make the app inoperable on streets and areas that might be dangerous. We will do much safty beta testing before releasing to the general public. We will also look for feedback from the community to make it a safe and fun experience for all.
With the money we get from your contributions, we will be able to hire application security specialists to make sure our app is not vulnerable to hacks.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (60 days)