Behind the Scenes with our Music Production Overlay
Designing the Music Production Overlay with Dubspot
Designing the Music Production Overlay was an important part of developing the Morph. This overlay was the first interface not designed by the Sensel team. For music, we wanted to partner with experts in the field who could create an interface to benefit the entire music community. In April of 2015, we partnered with Dubspot, a world-class DJ school in New York, to design this interface.
Final Design Features
- 8 MIDI Control Pads (Top) - Each of these pads sends a unique MIDI Control Change (CC) message that can be mapped to any functionality on the computer. These can be either momentary or toggle buttons. LED feedback indicates when these pads are triggered.
- 16 MIDI Note Pads (Left) - Each of these pads sends a MIDI note event to the computer. Additionally, the Morph uses its pressure sensitivity to send velocity and also aftertouch pressure events for these pads. We also send MIDI CC events to indicate x/y finger movement within the pad. This allows you to modulate actions and sounds by simply rocking a finger back and forth. LED feedback indicates when these pads are triggered.
- 8 MIDI Touch Knobs (Top Right) - These knobs send MIDI CC events to the system which can be remapped to any functionality. LEDs light up along the LED strip to indicate knob "position", which makes the knobs very easy to use. Pressing the center of the knob activates the LEDs so you can tell what position your knob is in without needing to look at your computer.
- 2 MIDI Sliders (Middle Right) - These sliders send MIDI CC events to the system and have LED feedback similar to the touch knobs.
- MIDI Piano Keys (Bottom Right) - These pads form a full octave of a piano. They send MIDI note events to the system and function similar to the 16 MIDI Note pads on the left side of the device. We report velocity, aftertouch pressure, and event x/y movement through MIDI CC events for each key.
To learn more about the design process and the Music Production Overlay, please visit sensel.com/music-production-overlay.