Bamboowifi: Homegrown Internet (Canceled)
Bamboowifi: Homegrown Internet (Canceled)
Bamboowifi is an independent and local alternative to the internet services currently being offered by telephone and cable companies.
Bamboowifi is an independent and local alternative to the internet services currently being offered by telephone and cable companies. Read more
About this project
Bamboowifi: Homegrown Internet
Bamboowifi is an independent and local alternative to the internet services currently being offered by telephone and cable companies. Our service will allow you to access your home Wi-Fi throughout your neighborhood, with a higher level of security than most residential Wi-Fi routers. Our plan is to provide a more affordable, versatile and practical alternative, one that better meets the needs of the way we use the web today. Join our movement to change the way we access the internet. Join us on our journey.
How is Bamboowifi Better than Your Internet Service?
- Replaces your home internet AND works throughout your neighborhood
- Better quality, lower price than other internet companies
- Free from wasteful bundling, you get just quality internet service
- Guaranteed net-neutral—forever
- No home equipment. Sign up and get service immediately
- Reduce your rate even more by referring your friends
- Local businesses can get rid of their internet bill and build their businesses as Bamboowifi Growth Partners
Where Can I Get Bamboowifi?
Our Kickstarter campaign covers our first pilot zone in the 19123 and 19125 zip codes of Philadelphia, and if you live there, you can get Bamboowifi service when our Kickstarter campaign is successful. You can also become a Growth Partner if you own a local business in those zip codes, and build your business while offering free Wi-Fi to your patrons. If you do not live in 19123 or 19125 but still want to help us change the internet, you can help fund an access point at a community center offering free internet access to those in need. We do of course plan to expand, but we have to start somewhere, so we're starting with a place close to us.
The Bamboowifi Pilot Zone—19123 & 19125 in Philadelphia PA
Our Kickstarter campaign will fund our first pilot zone in the zip codes of 19123 and 19125 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, the Northern Liberties and Fishtown neighborhoods. We chose these areas because we have a long-time connection to the community; the folks who live here have been asking for an alternative; and the low-rise row-home topography is perfect for our network. Once we are successful in building our pilot zone in 19123 and 19125, the plan is to grow like bamboo, as far and as fast as there are folks looking for better internet service. If you live in these neighborhoods and back our project, you can use your service anywhere in 19123 and 19125. If you do not and want to see service come to your area, the best way to ensure that is also to back the Kickstarter and help us get started.
1) Get Bamboowifi Service in 19123 & 19125
2) Get Panda Merch!
Bamboowifi: Works At Home, Works in Your Neighborhood
Are You a Local Business in 19123 or 19125? Check Out Our Growth Partner Perk!
Bamboowifi is Already a Hit in the Press!
What do we need your money for?
- Infrastructure: we need to pay for the physical equipment to build the network
- Office rental fees: we need office space to house operations
- Bandwidth for the 1st year: we need to pay for the bandwidth the network will use
- Website build: we need a website where people can sign up and we can manage customer accounts
- Service and maintenance costs: any network requires service, maintenance and customer service
- Trademarking and certifications: we need to file trademarks for our business and purchase necessary certifications
You Will Only Be Charged if We Meet Our Goal
By Kickstarter rules, you are only charged for your contribution if we are successful in reaching our fundraising goal. This means, if you are already paying way too much for crappy internet service and live in 19123 or 19125, you risk nothing by pledging, and you stand to get a way better deal on much better internet service than you're getting now.
You can contact Bamboowifi Co-Founders David Platt and James Gregory at: email@example.com
Risks and challenges
The largest challenge we have is finding enough Growth Partners and locations in which to install the access points that make up our network.
While we feel we have created some strong incentives for local businesses to become Growth Partners, like eliminating their internet service bill and using our network to build their businesses, we still need to go around and get them signed up.
This is the largest single challenge we face, although we do feel confident in our service and ability to show value to potential Growth Partners.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (60 days)