Carah - the stylish safety watch. Help is just a touch away.
Carah - the stylish safety watch. Help is just a touch away.
A fashionable, always-wearable watch with one-touch alarm and instant messaging/calls to guardians. It's peace of mind on your wrist.
A fashionable, always-wearable watch with one-touch alarm and instant messaging/calls to guardians. It's peace of mind on your wrist. Read more
The smart safety watch that's so much more.
We've built Carah to give you reassurance that help is just a touch away if you ever need it. With just a simple press of the watch you can sound an alarm, send your GPS location, and call your guardians. (There's a siren-free mode, too.)
But we also built Carah to be every day useful. It’s a real analogue watch that uses a top-quality Japanese movement. It’s a step and run counter that also lets you know how many calories you’ve burned. It lets you know when you get texts and calls and social media updates.
Here’s what Carah can do – all with just a touch of the watch:
- SOS: one-touch emergency siren + texts to guardians with your exact location + an automatic call to your guardians.
- FITNESS: step, run, and calorie burn counter
- NOTIFICATIONS: SMS/Call/SNS vibration and LED notifications
- INSTANT LOCATION: send your GPS location to friends or family
- SELFIES: control your phone’s camera with your watch
- RECORDING: instant audio recording
- TIMER: instant timer activation
- FIND PHONE: play a loud tune on your phone.
Carah pairs to your existing Android or iOS* smartphone.
*some functions differ in iOS due to Apple’s restrictions. Please see the FAQ for details.
As featured on Newswatch TV!
Carah was chosen by Newswatch TV as a highlight of it's 'back-to-school' technology segment.
It’s a real watch! How do I use the smart functions?
Carah comes with our patented push-button technology built-in. By simply pressing either the whole watch, or by tapping at 12, 3, 6 or 9 o’clock, you can simply and intuitively activate the functions:
Especially if you need to get help fast, Carah’s easy 2-second push is all you need. It’s quick and intuitive for real activation, and almost impossible to set-off accidentally. No need to worry about finding your phone in an emergency or remembering to wear that personal alarm button that doesn’t do anything else. It’s all there, on your wrist. Easy. Accessible. Instant.
Carah's SOS activation method is unique:
- almost impossible to activate false-alarms
- wrist-based activation is the easiest and quickest in both accidents or attacks
Why are you making Carah?
Quality materials, fashionable design.
The watch case is made from stainless steel 316, the same material often used in high-end watches costing thousands of dollars. It's strong, fashionable, and lightweight.
The genuine leather strap feels just great on your wrist and is built to last. (It's standard 18mm, so you can always change it whenever you want.)
The glass comes with a special coating to make it not only scratch resistant, but also gives extra protection against accidental drops.
The high-quality Japanese quartz watch movement guarantees accurate and hassle-free time-keeping.
And to ensure all tastes are catered for, the three stylish watch faces have been designed to combine elegance, practicality, and simplicity.
It’s not vaporware!
A one-off prototype is one thing. Designing a product that is mass-production-ready is another. Luckily, we’re another. From the start, every part of the design process has been geared around a simple question, “Can this be mass produced?”
And our answer is a resounding yes. Our lead engineer designed and bought to market the LG Pocket Photo. We sourced our manufacturer at the outset – not at the end like many other projects – and involved them every step of the way.
The firmware inside the watch is finished, and component suppliers are already sourced. Hardware design is already locked down. The app for your Android or iOS phone is already developed.
We’re ready to go. Here's Carah working:
And talking of the App...
We’ve worked hard to make the app as user-friendly as possible. We’ve run focus groups, bought more pizzas for family and friends than we care to mention, enlisted everyone from university students to safety experts as testers, and worked with some of best and most experienced UI designers in Korea.
If everything already works, why are you on Kickstarter!
We’ve worked on Carah for over a year, changing designs, improving, overcoming issues, improving, sourcing better suppliers, getting ready for mass production, improving. And now we’ve a product we’re immensely proud to launch, we’re asking for your help to get mass production started.
Here's the timeline. We've spent a long time making sure this is realistic and achievable.
- We’ll provide a weekly update, come rain or shine, every Thursday, until the very last Carah has been shipped.
- We'll respond to comments and questions within 2 business days
- We’re not going to ‘disappear’ after you’ve received your Carah. We’re a real company, and supporting our customers is one of our paramount concerns.
And who actually are you?
Prof. Grace Kwon has worked at the forefront of the convergence of computer science and fashion for over 27 years. Motivated by her daughter studying overseas, Prof. Kwon developed Carah.
Jaekun Han has worked in mechatronics for over 25 years. He's founded three technology companies, worked as a project manager at Samsung Electronics, and developed the Pocket Photo portable printer for LG Electronics.
The specs and all that
Body dimension: 40mm
Body height: 12.5mm
Weight incl. strap: 50g
Water resistance: IP65 - splash resistant
Certificates: FCC, CE, KC
Country of Manufacturer: South Korea
Battery for smart functions: 110mAh Lithium ion
Battery for watch movement: standard SR626W watch battery
Bluetooth pairing to your phone: 4.0
Your phone OS to pair with Carah: Android 4.3+ / iOS 7.0+
What's with the name, Carah?
'Cara' means friend in Irish, and beloved in Latin. We thought that just fit nicely. And if you're the first person who guesses why we added the 'h', there'll be something in it for you...
Is Carah only for women?
No. Vulnerable males, the elderly, children, anyone who needs some peace of mind on their wrist can use Carah – that’s one of the reasons we have a range of styles to choose from. For very young kids please bear in mind that the watch may seem a little big on small wrists.
How long will the battery last? Can I change it? Do I charge it?
Carah has two batteries. For the watch, it has a standard SR626W coin battery. It should last around two years and can then be easily replaced.
For the smart functions, Carah has a chargeable lithium-ion battery. The main drain on this battery is fitness monitoring. That’s why you can set when you want to monitor your fitness in the app.
- Standard usage battery life (fitness monitoring off): 3 months per charge
- Standard usage battery life (2 hours fitness monitoring per day): 1 month per charge
From an empty battery to full charge should take approximately 1.5 hours.
What are the differences between iOS and Android functionality?
Unfortunately, Apple doesn’t let developers do some of the things that are possible in Android. We’d love to offer the same features on iOS as Android, but it’s simply not possible. Here’s a list of the differences:
- Automatic recording is not available in iOS
- To receive emergency and location notices if your phone is iOS, your guardians need to install the Carah app on their phone (it doesn’t matter if your guardians’ phone is iOS or Android). If your phone is Android, your guardians will receive text messages so they don’t need to install the app.
- There is no siren or automatic call in iOS on the emergency alert function
Is the product safe, will it have all the required safety certifications etc?
Absolutely. Carah will be FCC and CE certified, as required by regulations in the US and EU respectively for electronic products. Our team has extensive experience of getting these certifications on various products, so we’re 100% confident that all will be fine.
What warranty do I get?
Carah comes with a 1-year manufacturing warranty.
I know Carah pairs to my smartphone. Is that any smartphone?
Sure. You just need Android 4.3 or above, or iOS 7 or above. It uses Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) to pair, which should work at a distance of up to 50m.
How do I choose which version I want?
If we’re successfully funded we’ll be in contact twice. Straight after the campaign we’ll contact you to confirm which Carah you’d like. Then, close to the dispatch date, we’ll be in touch to confirm your address and contact details.
Are there any ongoing fees?
We do not charge fees for using Carah, ever. If you’re an Android user the emergency and instant location functions sends text messages to your guardians, which will be charged by your phone network at the normal rate if you are on a paid-message plan. Also, in the emergency function, the Android version automatically calls your guardians, again at your standard call rates.
What about tracking and privacy? Are you monitoring me?
We do not track or monitor your whereabouts, nor do we keep or monitor any personal information about you. For full details of how we handle information, please see our full data protection statement.
I have another question? What should I do?
If you’ve a question, others may want to know the same thing. Please post your question in the comments section and we’ll jump on it as soon as possible.
Risks and challenges
The best way to mitigate the risks in a project like this is to make it first, and then ask for support. Over the last year, we've built the prototypes, tested ourselves, and had everyone from university students to research institutions test and feedback on Carah.
We're 100% confident we can build the product, and it will do what we say it does.
Of course, there are some things we can't control however. Here are the key dependencies:
- suppliers. We've spent a long time and built good relationships with our component suppliers. We've made sure the parts we use are standard and stock. However, there's always a slight risk of stock not being immediately available.
- manufacturing. As mentioned, we've worked with our manufacturing partner on this project from day 1. We know the product can be mass produced with no issues. The only tangible risk to the timeline is potential scheduling at the factory, but we've built in plenty of leeway into our timeline to alleviate this risk.
- logistics. We'll carefully select our courier/delivery agent, and it's most likely to be a global name you'll already know. However, once the goods leave our factory, there's not much we can do. Again, we've allowed plenty of time in the plan to ensure we meet our delivery promise.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)