About this project
arose from a mutual fascination with this odd and brilliant man. We thought the spectacular events of Nikola Tesla's life begged for a graphic treatment, so we have been working away at our illustrated biography. It will be published as a 64 page paperback for teens & adults, also a digital e-book in the form of a PDF.
MORE ABOUT PLEDGE ITEMS:
Our book comes in e-book form, paperback, or gift e-book.
E-book Gift Card,
as it appears in your friend's inbox, along with link to download book.
LIMITED EDITION POSTER, 18" x 24"
UNISEX TESLA TEE SHIRT:
Soft jersey cotton in heather grey, image silk-screened in black ink.
LADY SCIENCE-GEEK TEE:
Soft jersey cotton, in heather grey, maroon silkscreened image.
BRAND NEW: Get painted into scenes in the book!
INSIDE THE BOOK:
Tesla deserves to be a household name. His scientific discoveries at the dawn of our technological age—when the invisible forces of electricity, radio waves, and magnetic fields were being harnessed into new inventions—were revolutionary, and much of today's technology rests upon his ideas.
Mind Afire: The Visions of Nikola Tesla will explore Tesla’s childhood in Croatia and his early travels in Europe. We will see how a strange, undiagnosed illness culminated in a hallucinatory vision of the alternating current electrical system we all use today. We will witness his rivalry with Edison and his public triumphs harnessing the power of Niagara and lighting the Chicago World’s Fair. The secrets of his mysterious work in his Colorado Springs laboratory will be revealed. Finally, the book will explore how the Wardencliffe tower in Long Island, designed to transmit energy across the globe, was undermined by rivals and the interests of powerful men such as JP Morgan, Thomas Edison, and Guglielmo Marconi.
We've decided to include autographed custom bookplates on all orders of the paperback this month!
MORE ABOUT US:
I’m a literary agent, editor, and co-founder of Red Fox Literary, an agency representing children's book writers and illustrators. Here are a few of the books my clients have worked on: ‘The Tilting House’, ‘Brand-New Emily’, & ‘The Cavendish Home for Boys and Girls.’ Before I was a literary agent, I was a children's book editor for ten years. I’m also an author and have three children’s books out next year with Chronicle Books and Sterling Publishing. I live in Sonoma, California with my family, my pooches, and a gaggle of chickens.
I'm a freelance artist, living in northern New Mexico, with my break-dancing 8 year-old son. My work runs the gamut from graphic design to illustration & character concepts; I've also got an incurable passion for non-fiction graphic novels. This project will be the first in a series about 'unsung heroes' from history. Recent work: 'Encyclopedia of the Exquisite' by J.K.Jenkins, Random House, & 'Olivier & the Magic Paintbrush', a children's series by Menno Visser, Uitgeverij Parvenu Publishing (out this spring). Portfolio: www.ehaidle.com
BEHIND THE SCENES:
If we raise the budget amount, we will spend the next 5 months finishing the writing and creating the rest of the artwork, shipping orders by end of September. (Posters & tees may be shipped sooner - stay tuned.)
We've priced our project at the absolute bare minimum. If we raise more, we'll be able to produce a larger print-run, use better paper stock, and do full-color interiors. Here's a breakdown of what is involved:
- Production costs - includes author/illustrator team, marketing team, video production, book layout design, poster and tee shirts for pledges.
- Kickstarter/Amazon Fees - Roughly 8%-10% of final funding.
- Production of books - These rates vary depending on amount ordered, but it is likely our most sizable budget item.
- Shipping & shipping supply - Another chunk, depending on amount shipped, and number of international orders.
- Taxes - self-employed rates apply.
- Buffer Amount - necessary for ANY Kickstarter. Set aside for dropped pledges, lost books, refund requests, and any miscalculations.
MORE ABOUT THE KICKSTARTER PROCESS:
Kickstarter is a unique experience, differing from the usual online buying process. It is not simply a matter of choosing an item and buying a speedy arrival--you are joining us in the adventure of creating and completing this project. The result, in this case: a riveting story about a fascinating character from history, in the form of a book that can be enjoyed, shared, or gifted.
How to get started:
- Step 1. Decide which Pledge description you like, taking note of any international shipping estimates.
- Step 2. Create a Kickstarter account, determine payment method.
- Step 3. Wait and see what happens! If our campaign is successful, in 30 days, your account will be charged and your reward is secured. If our campaign is unsuccessful, then you will NOT be charged.
- Step 4. If you would like to join in helping this project succeed, then feel free to spread the word! Tweets, Facebook shares, blog posts, going door to door (joking) -- any and all efforts will help reach Tesla fans, science geeks, children who need to read more books, steampunk enthusiasts, and anyone with a sense of curiosity!
but not, of course, least: THIS IS A TEAM EFFORT! THANK YOU TO THE FOLLOWING FOLKS, ORGANIZATIONS, & VARIOUS EXPERTS:
Project Management & marketing: Megan Synk, Jonathan Haidle, & also Crowd Fund Mafia
Risks and challenges
With the budget priced at the bare minimum, we are hoping to produce a run of at least 500 books. We've contacted a publishing broker about various estimates, and are waiting to see how the kickstarter campaign goes. At the end of the month, we'll know the number of books we can afford to produce, and whether we can do 1 color, or full color interiors.
We realize that waiting 5 months to receive book orders requires a good amount of patience; however, we are printing in the US to ensure a speedy turnaround of the product (about 3 weeks from the date of submission to printer.)
Shipping is a bit of an unknown--depending on the number of pre-orders that come in, we may be mailing books throughout September and into early October. If necessary, we will hire a team of people to work with us, should the volume become more than 2 people can handle.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
This graphic novel will explore some fairly sophisticated topics and is intended for teens and adults.
Support this project
- (30 days)