About this project
A considerable amount of gizmos that we used to hold in our hands have turned digital over the past few years; think of photos, maps, phone-books, agendas, encyclopedias, alarm clocks, catalogues, CDs, books and magazines. Together with other forms of digital content, video games and social networks, they are now part of an increasing number of web services and apps. It is our digital life.
Today’s user-interfaces feel inadequate to provide a natural (easy, direct, intuitive) access to all our digital gizmos, or «dizmos» as we call them, whereas hardware performance and availability continue to rapidly grow. It is a software problem that dizmo aims at resolving.
What is dizmo and how does it work?
The way the user interface works, makes it device independent to a very high degree. So, it doesn't make any difference whether you use a touchscreen, an infrared pen or even a touch-pad or a mouse, since dizmo unifies these different ways of interacting with your applications.
- Organize (move, rotate, re-size) dizmos on any digital surface
- Create and concurrently use different dizmos at the same time
- Get multiple copies of any dizmo
- Swiftly navigate through an infinite digital space with a zoomable user interface
- Move and share dizmos between various devices, across rooms or locations, making your digital gizmos ubiquitous through the cloud
- Build your own dizmos, by using the dizmo SDK (see also below)
- «Dock» dizmos together, allowing apps to talk to each other and work together
Some of the key features in the dizmo space are:
What can I do with dizmo?
- Early adopters and innovators, users of creative software in general, always looking for the newest and best way to create, share their ideas and collaborate.
- Project teams using Arduino, Rasberry Pi or similar platforms, looking for a fast yet powerful way to create new brilliant User Interfaces for their use cases.
- Teachers and students, or anyone looking for more efficient and productive ways to present and explain concepts and projects in a fully integrated fashion. A platform where simulations, results, charts, slides, images, live websites and videos coexist, in order to help you get your point across.
- Managing today’s multitasking environments: use your digital book of recipes to prepare your favorite dish, while following your friends on Twitter, keeping an eye on your baby monitor and the front door webcam. At the same time, be able to follow the latest news or make a video call, all on the same touchscreen.
What do I get?
- Presentation Navigator
- Web Browser dizmo
- Remote Image dizmo
- QR Code dizmo
- Dockable Weather dizmo
- Philips hue dizmo
- Rasberry Pi visualization and control
- Arduino visualization and control
- General RESTful data output
- General RESTful data input
- Blockly dizmo
- canvasLAB dizmo
- «dizmo space» is a multi-platform application (written in optimized C++ and compiled for 32 and 64 Bit systems) that can run on any of the OSs listed below. It comes with a separate installer for Windows and OS X and as a binary or package for Debian or Ubuntu. Versions for other OS platforms are possible and will be made available with your support of the project. dizmo space lets you control your dizmo setup using standard pointing devices like a mouse, a track pad, an infrared pen or anything similar. It also supports commonly used multi point gestures to scale and rotate objects if your hardware supports it.
Here are some of the most important points that might be relevant to you as a potential dizmo developer as well:
- Slim API available (our comprehensive documentation has less than 20 pages) including support for docking
- SDK available supporting easy building, testing and deployment
- UI Support Library
- On our roadmap: transparent realtime synchronization, dizmo store and much more
Current System Requirements
Operating Systems currently supported:
- Mac OS X 10.7. and later
- Windows 7 and later
- Linux (Ubuntu)
Minimal recommended Hardware
- Dual core processor or better > 2.0 GHz
- > 2 GByte Memory
- > 250 MByte disk space
- Internet connection recommended
- Hardware support for OpenGL, >1 GByte dedicated video RAM
- A separate video card will enhance the experience
- Founder, CEO and CTO Matthias: a serial entrepreneur and investor, passionate software technology pioneer and tech visionary.
- Co-founder and CCO Zai: a visual communicator and digital artist, former professor at ECAL in Lausanne and inspirational founder of the world reputed art group etoy.
- Co-founder and CMO Luigi: a global marketing leader and strategist, who loves connecting people to products through cutting edge technologies, and loves coffee too.
- Co-founder and COO Eckart: a prominent software development executive, a perfectionist with a background as entrepreneur and consultant, in addition to a law degree.
Risks and challenges
To introduce a disruptive technology in a market which is in rapid evolution is of course very challenging. We have built a core team of industry leaders in their respective fields to give credibility and building trust around the choices we make. This said, we know there are challenges that have the potential to disrupt the project.
Here is a shortlist of the main ones and how we are tackling them:
• market acceptance of a new technology,
• speed at which the market develops,
• unexpected technical issues
As for the latter one, a possible issue is associated to software libraries that might not perform as announced. We are indeed selecting the tools and libraries we are using in the project with great care. We are ready to put additional effort on our side to circumvent delays originating from delays in the road-map announced by a supplier or issues coming from how they are coded.
Concerning the speed at which the market is developing, we are in fact witnessing its acceleration since the time we first started the project in 2009, as the touch screen market is growing to more than 1 billion devices by 2015. The rapid adoption of IoT technologies is boosting the need of a new way to interact and communicate with machines further lowering the risk of a slow ramp-up. We are partnering with industry leaders in those fields of application to further reduce and control it.
As for market acceptance, we at dizmo have made sure that our product resolves real pain points and we are focusing on the features, use cases and market segments that take fully advantage of it. We have conceived our API to be simple, developed an architecture which is OS and hardware independent to a very high degree and ultimately easy to program and fun to use. Furthermore we are counting on the development of a large community of developers to further boost the deployment of the technology and this is where your support will be instrumental.
All this said, we are absolutely passionate and committed to this project and we are putting all our know-how and energy to bring to people the most versatile and innovative user interface they have seen in years, which will make current solutions look like the old command line interface. So please go back to the top of the page, pledge now and join us in this incredible journey.
Thank you!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
As per the Kickstarter rules your card will not be charged until our campaign has ended, and of course only if the project is fully funded. If our project does not reach its funding goal, your card will never be charged. You can find all funding details on the Kickstarter link below:
Money raised through the Kickstarter goes to helping us to go into production. We’ll be doing more and exploring the limits of this technology. One key objective is to port the technology to more hardware (devices) and software (OSs) to make it pervasive and available to more people, applications and market segments. Most importantly, we’re looking to build a community, which is an essential part of our strategy moving forward.
There will be a forum activated where users will share their experiences, a dizmo online email-based support for general users and “beta maker” backers / subscribers will get access to a specialized on line developer support service.
Final product offering and pricing will be determined during the year and of course KS backers are being offered a very special price with respect to that.
These are the operating systems currently supported:
• Mac OS X 10.7. and later
• Windows 7 and later
• Linux (Ubuntu)
Our roadmap includes extending the support to iOS and Android, of course, partly through Kickstarter’s support.
With your support we will bring dizmo to additional platforms like Android and iOS. This version will be web browser based; with the additional funding, we will bring in the developers necessary to make this happen.
dizmo is largely independent from the hardware being used. However, there is a minimal recommended hardware configuration to run it smoothly:
Dual core processor or better > 2.0 GHz
> 2 GByte Memory.
> 250 MByte disk space.
Internet connection recommended.
Hardware support for OpenGL, >1 GByte dedicated video RAM.
A separate video card enhances the experience.
You can contact the dizmo media team anytime by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
9. Should I wait for the product version of dizmo (dizmo KS special) instead of selecting the «makers beta» version?
If you are asking this question, the answer is probably "Yes". We encourage the general public to hold tight for the product version of dizmo. We promise it'll be worth the wait as the product will improve on virtually every aspect of the «makers beta» kit, which is essentially an early prototype of it. So if you're not a developer, maker and creator or hard-core enthusiast, sit tight for now and expect great things! If you want to be part of those who write it, get on board the «makers beta» release, but please understand though that it is an early prototype with limited dizmos available. We're hoping the community helps us change that, which is why the Kickstarter is so important!
10. Does dizmo “only” work with touchscreen panels? Does dizmo work with other natural interface type of in/out technologies (gesture, voice…)?
dizmo is designed to be independent from the interface hardware technology used. So, it doesn't make any difference whether you use a touchscreen, an infrared pen or even a touch-pad or a mouse, since dizmo unifies these different ways of interacting with your applications. Moving forward, dizmo will be available for gesture, voice activated devices and any combination thereof, implementing the full vision of senses’ driven interaction.
dizmo is being developed by a seasoned team of experts qualified in building user interfaces, web technology and large scale back-end platforms. The core management team collectively has more than 100 years’ experience as professionals in the IT industry and has successfully founded several start-ups, such as Internet Access AG, futureLAB Ltd and etoy. If there is a team which can bring this technology to the market, this is it!
A connection to internet is not mandatory for dizmo to work, but it certainly improves the experience and uses cases which can be implemented, as many dizmos use the Internet to access content and data. A connection to the Internet allows to better take advantage of the full features set of dizmo space.
The «docking» feature of dizmo allows building specialized functionality easily and intuitively, by combining the capabilities of each of the docked dizmos. Data captured by a sensor for example, can activate other dizmos that communicate such conditions or take actions on it, enabling an infinite number of use cases in the Internet of Things.
Sharing is made possible through a link service which activates a communication pipe sharable with multiple clients. The action involved consists of opening a virtual “pad” which acts as a container of dizmos and then setting the conditions of the sharing session.
Yes, by making it available in the dizmo store which will be hit the market in 2014.
The original intention was to create the most powerful user interface for the home of the future. Looking at what existed we didn’t find anything suitable and started to conceptualize it. Later on, we realized that the potential of the technology in the age of the Internet of Things was much wider than what we anticipated. This sparked additional ideas on features to be implemented, which finally made dizmo what it is today, so unique and future proof.
dizmo is the name of the company, the name of the whole product and overall concept. «dizmo space» is the concrete implementation of the concept into the software platform. dizmos are interactive elements that provide the functionality of the user interface in the dizmo space.
Double clicking the installer or dragging the application on the application folder depending on your machine…that’s it!
Yes, as long as it’s running on any of the supported OSs. With your help and support we will expand the set of supported OSs, like for example Android and iOS.
Support this project
- (30 days)