Use this space to cheer the creator along, and talk to your fellow backers.
Have a question?
I was just in Mr. Green Beans today and noticed a few jars of Bee Local honey on the shelf. Nice to see the product out in the wild! I'm unfamiliar with how the season for bees/honey works, although I assume they must hibernate in the cold weather, and don't produce honey (no flowers!). Does this mean we're looking at next season (August 2013) before we see if there's enough honey to share with backers?
End of the year update:
Quite a bit has happened this year and there are some exciting projects coming up for next year. Let me start off by thanking each and everyone of you for your support. While Bee Local has seen a very positive response it has been challenging to keep everything running.
This year the nectar flow was poor. This was true for everyone across the country due to the unusually warm weather we had. You might be thinking, "Warm weather, awesome!". True, it was nice, however for bees it was not good.
Hot weather w/ no rain causes the nectar flow to dry up. This means less forage for our bees. In our area there is a bump in flow when the blackberries bloom. Usually we have at least a few weeks of this particular flow. This year we did not. They came and went quickly. Consequently the honey harvest was not great. This effected my ability to generate much needed operating capital. We have been managing and are beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel. The result of this is a delay in getting all of your rewards out. Each and everyone of you will receive your rewards.
Now on to the positive...
Bee Local has been well received by both media and the culinary world (at least here in Portland). Here are some upcoming projects:
1. Partnering with Chef Vitaly Paley to place rooftop hives on top of Hotel Lucia. The honey will be used in his restaurant Imperial.
2. Partnering with Salt & Straw. We are establishing hives for each one of their locations. The honey will be used for their ice-cream. There will be an education piece as well.
3. Partnering with New Seasons, a regional grocery store chain that is known for community outreach, good local products and being the "Nicest Store in Town". We will be placing rooftop hives on some stores, training employees and offering education opportunities to the community.
4. Partnering with Hotel Daniel in Vienna Austria. The Hotel Daniel has rooftop hives and wants to spread the Bee Local word. We have entered into an agreement for them to brand their rooftop honey as Bee Local. The honey will be used as gifts for guests.
5. Bee Local shot a segment with Andrew Zimmern for Bizarre Foods earlier this year. The show is about farm to table and follows the honey from the hive to Salt & Straws ice-cream. Look for it to air in Feb or March of 2013.
6. Bee Local will be working with the Joel Palmer House in Dayton, Oregon. We will be establishing hives on the grounds.
Bee Local has been in About Face Magazine, Portland Monthly, Willamette Week and Sunset Magazine. We are in several retailers in Portland, one in San Diego (Pigment) and one in Boston (Olives & Grace).
Hives have made it to Eugene and San Francisco. Seattle, Austin and New York City are on the horizon. Logistically it is very challenging but we will make it happen.
I may have missed a few things but I think that's about it. Happy Holidays to everyone. The world did not end so let's continue to try to make it a better place for everyone.
Thank you all for your continued support and patience.
Its December. Can you provide an update on what happened this year?
Awesome, can't wait!
Things are going well. Been very busy w/ some very exciting stuff. A full update coming very soon!
How's it going? An update would be much appreciated!
Good stuff! Looking forward to your updates as you get your plan in gear!
Yes! We did it! Thanks to all of you for your support!!!!
Congratulations! I can't wait to hear more about the project!
Thank you Mat!
I just upped mine to $100. I am getting nervous... 11 days to go!
Thank you Jaina Bee!!! I think Potrero needs a rooftop hive.
This is fantastic, mister! All hail the mighty bee!
Thank you for your support. And yes...I'll admit, it's very Portlandia.
What an absolutely great idea. And very Portland. Good luck!
Thank you so much for your support!
If everyone I know has $13 we are golden....
Im excited! I will let others know and I may pledge weekly, definitely growing my pledge amount. Thank You for inspiring me to discover more about bees, especially my backyard shed bees. Regards to you n your Family in Portland : )