About this project
In 1910, when the world map had achieved its final shape, and it seemed as if there was nothing left to be discovered, 65 men decided to take the ultimate adventure: reaching the South Pole. The Terra Nova, a British expedition named after its supply ship, was established. It was led by Robert Falcon Scott.
Scott’s expedition aimed to carry out extensive exploration and scientific experiments. Unfortunately, the Norwegian Amundsen who lead a rival expedition with the same goal, outrun it by 34 days. Not only that, but Scott and his crew died on their way back.
But this was not the end of it.
A century later, the summer melt of 2013 at Scott’s Hut (Cape Evans, Antarctica) revealed a hidden relic from the Terra Nova Expedition. It was George Murray Levick’s notebook. Levick, who was the expedition’s surgeon and zoologist, took many photographs during the trip.
Somehow Levick’s notebook was left behind when Terra Nova departed from Antarctica in February 1913, but it has now been restored by the Antarctic Heritage Trust and returned to Scott’s hut at Cape Evans. Our project was inspired by this rare find that remained hidden for more than 100 years. This notebook was titled the “Wellcome Photographic Exposure Record and Diary 1910.” It included such details as the photograph dates, descriptions and exposure times.
We cherish the photographers who took place in the Terra Nova expedition, risking their lives for the sake of universal knowledge. They took photos under the harshest conditions, including severe winds, freezing temperatures, and lack of food. Their feat deserves to be acknowledged. For this reason, we are devoting this project to all the bold, adventurous photographers who give up their comfort, health, and sometimes even their lives, for the sake of stunning photographs.
We, Team Galaxy, have quite an extensive collection of photographers’ notebooks from the past. The oldest one goes all the way back to 1907! This was even before Scott’s famed expedition. In our search for content, quality, and design we’ve looked through several types of notebooks.
Since George Murray Levick’s notebook is one of the reasons we’re creating our Galaxy Handbook, we’d like to dedicate it to the Terra Nova expedition and feature some real photographs from this trip in it. In addition, $5 from each pledge will be donated to the Antarctic Heritage Trust in New Zealand, who unearthed and restored the notebook.
To learn more about the Terra Nova expedition you can watch this wonderful documentary, “90 Degrees South,” comprised of footage by Herbert George Ponting, a professional photographer and member of Robert Falcon Scott's expedition. The introduction is by Admiral Edward Russell Evans, who was second-in-command and accompanied Scott to within 150 miles of the Pole.
Galaxy has developed a handbook that encompasses your entire photography activities, from jotting down daily plans, keeping information about major photo events, holding a special logbook for your pictures, and beyond.
When you shoot with a digital camera after having used an analog one, you realize that among the other advantages of a digital camera, you also get a lot of information (aperture, shutter speed, location, etc.) conveniently wrapped in a file as metadata for each picture. Analog photographers don’t have this luxury. If they want to keep up with their technologically enabled colleagues, they need to maintain a record of what, how and where they are shooting. That is why one of the most important tools in a photographer's bag is a professional notebook.
Galaxy Photographers’ Planner and Handbook is the hub for all your creative ideas, goals, inspirations and a source of handy information. Imagine this professionally printed and bound handbook where you will capture the things you are doing as well as the things you want to be doing. This handbook will give you the comfort of having all the essential information for your photo shoots handy.
We strive to create a universal professional design for our handbook.
It has a leather hardcover that comes in either Deep Red or Obsidian Black.
Its thick paper is perfect for your notes.
The size is compact enough to fit in any bag, yet large enough to let you take notes.
The excellent printing will not fade away with time.
And due to its informational compound, this handbook qualifies as a real book with its own ISBN-number, 978-0-9969884-0-7.
All types of analog photographers will find this Handbook useful:
- Professionals. Professionalism goes hand in hand with perfectionism (and we mean it in the best way possible). This handbook is designed specially to keep all your photo notes in perfect condition so that you may precisely figure out the right recipe for your best shot.
- Large Format Photographers. The section for large format photographs includes such graphs as Holder #, Film type, Lens, Bellows, Filter, Meter readings, Adjusted Exposure Value, Reciprocity.
- Pinhole Photographers. Our brothers in arms sometimes unjustly forgotten... We have records sheets and a lot of useful information for you too.
- Amateurs. Photographers who take pictures for pleasure, usually do it occasionally. It’s easy to forget what helped you achieve a great photography effect. Keeping notes will provide you material with which to work on your skills.
- Students. Cheat sheets, infographics, recipes for the development process – no need to flip through textbooks as we have gathered all the needed info in one place.
- Alternative Photographers. Our “Darkroom Records” section is great for writing down various development options and keeping track of what effect each option gives.
- Anybody who loves photography. This Handbook is the link between photography’s present and past. You have a chance to become part of photography’s history as we bring back to life a classic photographer’s notebook from the beginning of the last century.
It doesn’t matter if you are a professional photographer or a student; this handbook will become your best aide!
The Galaxy Photographer's Planner And Handbook (c) 2015–2016 is protected by US and International Copyright and may not be reproduced, distributed, or used commercially without Galaxy's express permission.
As usual, we are making a product that we’ll be using ourselves, and we are very serious about its design, quality, and functionality. In our ultimate photo handbook you will find everything a professional photographer might need:
Galaxy Photographer's Planner and Handbook is elegantly and practically designed and manufactured. It also feels great to the touch, so that you can get maximum enjoyment in daily usage. It is produced with the best materials and attention to every detail to ensure perfection.
- Portable size. 6.25 X 4 in (or 16 x 10 cm) Galaxy Photographer's Planner and Handbook is small enough to take everywhere and large enough to make the records.
A luxurious and sophisticated cover. Smooth, soft to the touch and durable cover in Deep Red or Obsidian Black leather. Elegant debossed Logo.
PU Leather is a man-made material that will represent the look and feel of Genuine Leather. This material is very pliable and will stretch but will not crack. It has a more shiny appearance and generally is far less thick. Grooves similar to your fingerprints are mechanically pressed into the material to give it that REAL look. This material for the most part is waterproof and easily cleaned or maintained.
- Total 256 pages. Full of useful information and forms for your records.
- Thick, premium paper. The pages are made of high quality 80 gsm of bright white paper. Back side of front cover is made with 140 gsm of white paper.
- Elastic band. The red band that fits into a special indenture in cover nicely stitched alongside holds your planner tightly closed when you are on the move. The pages stay crisp and clean.
- Elastic pen holder. Keeps your pen handy.
- Bookmark ribbon. Use the ribbon to mark your current page or a favorite resource. Ribbons come in black or white.
The owner’s Information Page. The information you will input in this notebook is too precious to lose. Make the handbook your personal accessory.
Preface. The introduction will tell you the exciting story of Scott’s expedition that became our inspiration.
- Index. Our notebook has numerous sections, so the index here will help you navigate the information.
- 2016, 2017, 2018 Calendar. he year 2016, as well as the two following years’ calendars are included to give you perspective on how much time has gone by and the amount of time that has yet to come. This can also be a good way to mark down any significant dates in 2016 or any days-to-look-forward in the following years.
- Important Dates. For your convenience, the planner will include information about important dates in 2016 including all the major photographic contests and events. You will see the links to the websites of the contests, submission deadlines, the grand prizes as well as the dates and entrance fees for the major photo exhibitions.
- Monthly Planner. The Records Section opens up with a convenient monthly planner. Have all your projects available at a glance. Keep your life on-track and priorities straight for every month, set objectives or schedule all upcoming photo shoots, etc..
Exposures Records. A special log for inputting the technical data of the photos you took will be divided into three sections: 135/120/220 film Records, Pinhole Records, and Large Format Records. For each section, there will be special graphs such as aperture, exposure, ISO and so on.
- Zone system Records. The Zone System is a photographic technique helping to determine optimal film exposure and development, formulated by Ansel Adams and Fred Archer. We have not only included the description of the zone system, but also a zone records form— the most optimal way of taking zone exposure notes.
- Location Scouting Records. This section will help you keep track of all the places where you would like to carry out the next photo shoot. Even when photographers are running errands, their creative minds look for scenic places to photograph. Never miss a single inspiring location with this section!
Darkroom records. This part will be especially useful for photographers who like to experiment with alternative chemistry and developing processes. There are numerous developing processes out there, so why not try something new? A true artist likes to experiment not only with the matter of the picture, but with the manner too!
- Memoranda. These pages are dotted so that they could be used as graph paper, for drawings, or as lined paper. The dots are soft and pale so that the pages can also be treated as blank paper for miscellaneous records such as inspirational ideas, addresses for photo shoots, or simply to make a list of photo supplies you need to buy. It is inspired by sketchbooks that are used in project design.
Infographic / Cheat sheets. This section will be particularly useful for students as it has all the basic information about the aperture, ISO, shutter speed, and other parameters. This section only takes a couple of pages, yet it has the informational content of photography textbook.
Practical Daily. Other uncategorized practical information for photographers that will help you master your skills.
- Chemistry. This section will be useful for photographers of all ranges: from first-year photography students to seasoned professionals who want to try out a new development process. This section will include film development, photo paper development, and reversal process.
General Info Section
This section is full of straight forward and useful information for photographers. It provides the most practical data about galleries, agents, major photo suppliers, photography media - magazines and publishers (including contacts, online links etc.). Very easy to read and find what you are looking for.
- Kickstarter helps launch projects that people need. It works the opposite way traditional marketing works, where a product is made and then people get bombarded with advertisements.
- Thanks to Kickstarter a lot of people will get to know our product, so we won’t need to spend money on advertising. Therefore, we’ll be able to keep the price reasonable.
- Kickstarter erases the barrier between customers and manufacturers, turning supporters into project co-creators.
- Kickstarter really works! The Direct Positive Photo Paper is being manufactured right now thanks to the amazing Kickstarter community.
If we are successful, the money is targeted for the following specific tasks:
1) Kickstarter fee
2) Writing and designing costs
3) Production and packaging
5) Packaging and Shipping to end users
We are Galaxy, a group of photography professionals who are madly in love with analog photography and its paraphernalia. You might know us by our recent project on recreating the direct positive photo paper that Kodak manufactured about 70 years ago (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/114183606/galaxy-hyper-speed-direct-positive-photo-paper) (you might even have supported our debut project, in which case, a big shout out to you, great friend!). The Kickstarter community warmly welcomed this project, and we decided to devote our time to reviving the art and paraphernalia of analog photography.
Galaxy is working hard to introduce our first production of these reborn handbooks to photographers worldwide. Our ultimate goal is to produce them with the best quality and best content possible. To this end, we will continuously try to develop and improve our project as 2017 and future years come around.
If our Kickstarter campaign succeeds early, we will start production before the campaign is over and that would grant us extra time for production and shipping. We have already scheduled production time with our manufacturer. Our main priority would be to have these products shipped out and delivered to you as early as possible, and we will do everything we can to make that happen.
However, the production is scheduled for a busy time of year, so unforeseen challenges may arise. That is why there might be delays of up to two weeks at most. Other than that, we shouldn’t come across any troubles.
We are committed to keeping you informed of our progress in the months following our campaign. We hope that our Galaxy Handbook will be the most effective tool for any analog photographer’s job.
Feel free to contact us at email@example.com anytime if you have a suggestions, ideas or questions.
Goal 1: If we raise more than $12,000, we will include a stylish red metal pen in each order. This fine 0.5 mm ballpoint pen makes a perfect ensemble with the the Galaxy handbook.
Goal 2: If we manage to exceed $16,000 we will add two more colors to the handbook cover - Antarctic White and Navy Blue.
Risks and challenges
See details above.
Feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org anytime you have a suggestion, idea, or question.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (41 days)