Thanks for checking out my project.
The first thing you might wonder is what is "Heart Knots"? In Chinese, it means something like hardship, the emotions or trauma that are subconsciously lingering of which your deep mind that you cannot let go. Here, I’m using it as a metaphor for childhood trauma caused by verbal abuse, especially from parents.
How To Participate
1. Record a video or write a letter about your childhood verbal abuse story in either English or Chinese, and share it with me privately. You can do it anonymously.
2. I’ll match you with a stranger who has had similar experience or got hurt by similar words.
3. You guys can communicate privately by whatever medium or way you want. It could also be anonymous.
4. Share the outcome with me after communicating with your partner, and describe to me what are something that can represent your heart knot. It could be some bad words or objects.
5. I’ll design a poster for your “heart knot” and mail it to both of you guys. Your task will be videotape yourself tearing your “heart knot” in half. You don’t have to show your face or say your name in the video.
6. Share the video to me and I’ll post it in public.
As a survivor of childhood trauma, I want to initiate this project to encourage people who are survivors or still struggling, to share their stories out loud, fight the sense of shame and get support from fellow survivors.
Why It Matters
Verbal abuse undermines a child’s self-esteem, damages their ability to trust and form relationships, and chips away at their social skills. They feel ashamed, unloved, humiliated, and resentful when they are experiencing it. They need to establish strong self-awareness to recognize their feelings and that the situation is not normal. They need to tell themselves that what they are hearing is not the truth.
After I start collecting all the "Heart Knots" and the videos participants send to me, I'll share it in public to encourage more people to participant the activity spontaneously and find their own way to smash their heart knot. By doing this, I want to create social impact to improve people's awareness on verbal abuse trauma.