Update: Mac Alpha & PC early beta available (in-game footage below)
Update: Thank you!! We met our minimum goals and would love the opportunity to develop and add these awesome rock monsters in the survival stretch goal.
Who's Backing Us & Press Quotes
Lord British aka Richard Garriott: We are deeply humbled that the Ultima god has looked down upon our small indie project. We have been inspired by so much of what he has done: early sandbox, MMO, RPG, avatars & so on...
Bart Decrem: Again humbled by the open and learning aspects of Where's My Water and the nonstop action of Temple Run.
IGN:"...players will experience a new game with every login."
Slimgamer: "It’s not about looting and gaining power – but about building and creating that world – in a limitless sandbox game using advanced voxel based technology.."
Joystiq: "Sandbox fans, meet your next obsession."
Cliqist: "What gets me the most excited about this game is the idea of tranquility and exploration that is driving the character to explore the terrain a bit further."
Education World: "..loved all of the freedom and the toolset that [MyDream] gave them in this open sandbox environment. "
Examiner.com: “MyDream allows players to experience unlimited adventures and [may actually] help players with real life skills such as collaboration and creativity."
Parenting Healthy: "My son has played MyDream every night before bed since we downloaded it!"
Left Stick Down: "really fun, almost addictive, game...excellent multiplayer aspects.. wonderful artistic style."
Fast Company: "MyDream is a classic video game...allows players to experience unlimited, user-created adventures that promote skills such as creativity and collaboration"
Our Top 10 Reasons that you should play MyDream:
1. MyDream is One Great Big Treasure Hunt: MyDream plans to be the world’s biggest adventure game that players create and contribute to themselves. People from all over the world are making hundreds of new quests daily that allow you to travel across an infinite number of worlds and experience endless possibilities.
2. Infinite Potential, yet Complex Gameplay: In addition to exploring and building in this stunning open world sandbox, your character progresses along three tracks, depending on the type of player you want to be. You can choose the identity of your character: a Builder, Explorer, or Cooperator
3. Pile Up the Rewards: The excitement of creating something continues to grow as time goes by: Your structures, environments and adventures can be enjoyed, rated, and actually used by others in their own worlds. We keep track of how many players use your contributions and you forever earn points when that happens.
4. The Possibilities are Infinite: MyDream is a player-generated game: its potential for interesting features is as big as the imagination of our community of players. With lots of creation features that will surely spawn all kinds of gameplay that we probably haven't thought of, MyDream is an evolving world!
What's that? You want more than 4 reasons? Ok, here are a just couple more:
5. Loads of New Biomes (gaming environments to build and play in):
6. Rock Creatures: Friend or Foe...or both?
You still want more? Ok, we might as well round it out to the top 10:
7. We host all the servers: No need to type in crazy server addresses or pay to host your own.
8.You can edit anything (that isn't protected by another user): Our entire world is modifiable. But for anyone who has had to put up with bad sportsmanship in games like Minecraft, you can rest assured, there are ways to block others from ruining your beautiful creations!
9. For Parents- You won't cringe if your kid is playing this game (in fact you might join in): MyDream is full of action and adventure, but not with senseless violence. MyDream is strongly committed to providing an enriching and positive environment for players of all ages.
10. Real world skills: Yes we said it. We believe that if you learn to be creative, curious and cooperative in a game, that it will translate to real world life skills. We can't guarantee the above but perhaps you will learn how to turn enemies into life long friends. Now that's a superpower everyone needs.
You rise from the dust and find yourself in an environment that is familiar, yet completely unknown.
And then you see a sign up ahead.
As you scope out the environment, you see it there, plain as day, etched into wood...a set of instructions. And thus your amazing journey begins. As you evolve into your dream world, your problem solving skills become stronger as you complete more and more challenging adventures. The treasures you find become rarer and more difficult to obtain. What previously took minutes might take hours to finish. Instead of having to complete them on your own, you can now enlist the help of your fellow MyDreamers. Word spreads among the community that you are a great teammate and a skilled problem solver, yet something doesn't feel quite right. Your experience and level advancement has slowed down significantly, almost as if half of your purpose is not being fulfilled.
Moving on from seeking treasures, you decide to create your own quest. And then it happens! A feeling overcomes you and you are enlightened. You realize that MyDream is not called MyDream because someone else made it up, it is MyDream because it is made by you. Your creativity, building and treasure setting skills are rewarded just like your treasure hunting, mining and crafting skills. What you give back to the world is just as important as what you take away.
So you create a maze, inside a cave, in the bottom of your castle, that has been carved from a mountain, and you bury a special object within it, and seeing the other characters race to complete and rate your quest is the true reward.
MyDream is not simply a dream that you inhabit, it is a world that you create.
MyDream does not follow the playbook of traditional open-world RPG--You gain experience based on what you achieve and what you add back to the gaming environment. Your reputation is built on completing quests, setting quests and the help you give others.
Unlike so many other games, where hoarding, looting and gaining power are your means to victory, MyDream's is an open, crafting world where users are rewarded on their adventure, creativity and cooperation skills. Here is a breakdown of the three main experience tracks:
Exploration: The rules for questing are simple: find a clue, follow the clues, find the stash. Some are as simple as walking 20 paces and digging, while others may include a lot more. The more difficult the adventure is to complete, the more experience you earn.
Creation: Create your own quests, buildings and environments. Make them as simple as laying down a waypoint or as complex as following a series of carefully hidden and encoded clues. You can place your goals out in the open or you can develop a structure on a new landscape entirely from scratch. Your XP level increases based on a mix of the complexity of your own structures and other players ratings of your creations.
Cooperation: The MyDream team is currently working on a leveling system based on the idea of team work.
Game Environment: The MyDream universe is completely fluid and changes by the minute. New adventures, created by both the game design team and the MyDream community of players await gamers everyday. Our custom voxel terrain engine creates immense, sweeping landscapes that are completely formable and destructible.
We have created an expansive 3-D world and seeded it with hundreds of hidden objects. We have mixed a bit of real-world GeoCaching, with a touch of the magic and fantasy of treasure hunting. It is a vast, realistic, craftable sandbox and it is already fully playable in our early private beta release.
Key team members include Mark Davis (VoxelForm, Big Fish Games, Microsoft DirectX ), Matt Laverty (Big Fish Games,Cartoon Network, MTV), and Allison Huynh (Managing Partner/Designer at Willow Garage). Our list of investors/advisors includes Dr. Karoly Nikolich (co-Founder of Stanford Neuroscience Institute), Bart Decrem (game designer of Tap Tap, Temple Run, Where's My Water?), Prof. Homa Bahrani (Collaboration expert at UC Berkeley.) Our multidisciplinary team is supported by a small staff of motivated designers, artists, engineers, testers, community managers and volunteers (if you are interested in volunteering, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org).
Our vision is to create an engaging, beautiful, truly limitless sandbox game with an multiuser backend. Other games have failed to deliver this experience because of technological limitations.
With our first focus on solving this virtual problem, we have made huge advancements on what that voxel based technology can actually deliver. We already have a cloud hosted, multi-player, crafting sandbox up and running. It is currently available in closed early beta and basic creative mode is immediately playable to all Kickstarter backers.
We have chosen to launch our game through Kickstarter for two primary reasons:
1. We need the funding. Previous games using voxel engine technology have had major issues. The MyDream closed beta has taken our small team almost two years to develop so we can iron these kinks out before we ask you for funding. With the fundamentals of the voxel engine laid out, we have ambitious plans on fully fleshing out the building and questing details, as well as completing our breakthrough reputation. Without your financial support, MyDream could just be a dream!
2. We want Kickstarters to be at the core of our growing community. If you have read this far, you are the kind of person that we are looking for. We need an eclectic group of gamers to help create and lay out hundreds of new puzzle hunts before the game goes live.
Anyone backing our project at the $5 dollar or more level will automatically gain access to our private beta, where the characters begin to gain reputation. This reputation will not reset when the game goes live. So, even though MyDream is more collaborative than competitive, you will enter the live game with all of your knowledge and characteristics intact.
Looking for more pretty pictures and a slow walk through our world? Well you made it this far down the page, you might as well continue!
How is this different from Minecraft and other games? Imagine how easy it is to craft and build in Minecraft and how beautiful and Zen-like the environment is in Journey. Now put that in an adventure RPG and you have MyDream. People ask what is different and our unique twist? We have an alpha/beta where you can log in and see our vast library of decorating and building materials, whether its terracotta tiles, pre-Columbian artifacts or Hellenistic columns. We have created a construction game beyond blocks-- with a realistic environmental system. After the creative mode, we are planning to have a very dynamic game play system. Who you think is your enemy may be your closest ally.
With the ever changing landscape, players can grow and adapt the world how they would like to see it.
Ready for a journey? Meet friends and foes along the way.
You are given a clue and sometimes you must "move mountains" to advance to the next level.
Journey upwards of 100km towards the center of the earth.
Build a bridge to arrive at your destination...but guess who is there waiting?
Risks and challenges
Our MyDream team has exceptional engineering, design and A.I. credentials but our resource challenges can only be overcome by you. By funding MyDream, we can develop our resources and utilize your ideas in creating new features.
We assure you that our ambitious project is not vaporware as we have a closed beta already up and running, so all backers are assured early access into the game where your feedback is crucial to future development.
If our funding goals are met, we have no doubt that we will be able to produce the game we have scripted out for you above. The biggest risks from our standpoint is taking a bit more time than originally planned to develop some of the features that we are all excited about.
Also, as the game develops, some of the rewards might change in value and delivery time, we assure all backers that their rewards will either equal or exceed the value that they back at.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)