Beesper - Sense your world! (Canceled)
Beesper - Sense your world! (Canceled)
Discover, explore, manage a world of data around you with the nextgen sensing network and a set of customizable apps!
Discover, explore, manage a world of data around you with the nextgen sensing network and a set of customizable apps! Read more
Beesper is a flexible system for detection, analysis and control of environmental data, powerful but easy to use.
With Beesper you can:
- collect data from virtually any kinds of sensors (some examples follow: check soil moisture, temperature and level of sunlight in your garden, be inside a barrel to get a great craft beer, monitor temperature, humidity, brightness and noise level in every room of your house, discover the electrical consumption of your appliances, ...)
- use these data locally or remotely (with the available Apps or on the web), sharing them with relatives, friends, the community, on the major social networks
- enjoy, develop and sell new N-Apps (network apps) all over the world.
Very soon, thanks to sensors and nodes being finalized now, you will be able also to:
- keep an eye over the millimetric movements of a crack in the wall (and correlate them with vibrations or telluric movements),
- monitor the CO2 level of only one room or of a whole neighborhood,
- … and much much more!
Beepser consists of:
1. an ultra-low-power long range Wireless Sensor Network (WSN), able to self-organize, that supports many different sensors,
2. an App (Android, iPhone) and a website to analyze and custom-control the gathered data (eg: by sending an alarm upon a trigger),
3. a set of plugins for targeted use. And you can even build your own N-Apps!
"Discover – Explore – Manage" (how does it work)
The Beesper wireless network consists of:
- ultra-low power nodes (BeesperNodes) that can be equipped with multiple sensors, both internal and external
- a “bridge” (BeesperBridge) that reveices data from the BeesperNodes and send it to a server via the Internet (connected using Ethernet, GPRS or Wi-Fi)
The network setup is very easy: the Beesper Network is auto-configuring, once started a BeesperNode looks for the closer BeesperBridge or BeesperNode on the same network and connects to it!
If the distance between a BeesperNode and a BeesperBridge is too long to establish a direct wireless link, a BeesperNode will, automatically, connect to another, closer, BeesperNode and use it as relay towards the BeesperBridge. The various Beesper Nodes discover the best path to the bridge and shape themselves as a tree-shaped network.
It is also possible to add more BeesperNodes or sensors at any time to extend the coverage area! Each node can be reused for different tasks by changing its sensors or simply via the website or the N-App.
Do you want to know more about the tech?
Check the Beesper tech data page!
Now it is the time to explore your data!
From your Android phone or tablet (and thanks to Kickstarter also from your iPhone/iPad and website) you can get the Beesper app, free to download. Just put in your login and password and you can see your Beesper network and put it at your use!
Beesper puts at your fingertips even more advanced applications: BeesperBeer lets you brew a great craft beer, BeesperGreen keeps an eye over your garden and helps you to grow your plants, BeesperEnergy gets inside your power-hungry gadgets to find out who is the culprit for that sky-high electricity bill!
Moreover you can share with other Beesper users, and your friends, all the information and discoveries you made! You will even be able to create a group of friends for a collaborative task!
To get started, simply “drag&drop” the BeesperNode on the desired Beesper App and you're done! The node's data will be used by the app.
The above Beesper Apps are ready to be used but only your imagination is the limit: Beesper will allow you to program custom app through the development APIs (developed within Kickstarter).
If you do not want to touch a single line of code, you can also share data with your family or friends on social networks, send an email, an alert or a text message with the BeesperWizard app!
With Beesper we want to make a powerful industrial technology, born in the research laboratory Henesis, open to all and easy to apply to real-world problems.
The Path of the Bee
Starting point: our h-WSN platform, developed over the last years aimed at professional applications. We are at the third version of our electronics and network protocol, which is based on the standard IEEE802.15.4 at 2.4GHz.
Our latest improvement is the possibility to update the firmware of each node wirelessly and from remote, while the Beesper network is in place!
Here are some pictures of our platform at the state in which we are now.
Wisnp is the current user interface to the network, web-only and not so user-friendly... another of the improvements Kickstarter will trigger! On the right panel the tree topology automatically chosen by the nodes is visible, together with an aggregated view of ambient temperature data.
We can already integrate several external sensors (a subset is shown in the rewards section, last picture): some of them are commercial (heat flow, electrical current, temperature probe), while others were hand-assembled purposively for Kickstarter (soil moisture and temperature, and temperature probe for beer)!
For our BeesperGarden, aiming at offering an affordable but complete sensor, we added a temperature sensor to a commercial low cost soil moisture sensor (from Watermark US) and assembled it in our headquarter. For our BeesperBeer, we integrated a precise digital temperature sensor in a food-grade stainless steel bar. Both sensors will need engineering work for production, and we'll do it during Kickstarter.
Here are the two prototypical kits in place in our lab! You will soon be able to follow them in real time!!
We feel time has come for Beesper, a real leap frog. We are following these three guidelines and we wish to share them with you:
- Ensure a creative, easy and personal use of the system
- Make data collection a useful service to the community
- Create a robust and effective way to add new sensors and new N-App, and give/sell them online to users with similar interests or needs.
- August 5, 2012: We just partnered with CZT to offer radiation counters, with and without isotope identification ability!
- August 9, 2012: Integrating CO2 sensors!
- August 14, 2012: CO2 and electrical current sensors integrated! New pledges (garden and electrical sensors)! More complete kit (at the same price, now the garden kit contains two moisture and temperature sensors).
Important technical notes
1. The minimal system requires one BeesperBridge and one BeesperNode but you can add as many BeesperNode (and BeesperBridge) as needed.
2. The BeesperNodes are, as of today, CE certified and soon will be FCC certified, thanks to Kickstarter
3. We made the choice to adopt only high quality (therefore more expensive) sensors, because you can trust our and your N-Apps only if you can trust your data.
Sensors (continuously updated!):
- L = Ambient Luminosity
- A = Triaxial accelerometer
- T = Ambient Temperature
- P = Ambient Pressure
- H = Ambient Humidity
- N = Equivalent Noise Level
- AR = Ambient Radiation
- ARI = Ambient Radiation with identification of the contaminant isotopes
- CO2 = Concentration of carbon dioxide
All the technical activities during Kickstarter will be completed in our headquarter in Parma (Italy). We hope that, also thanks to Kickstarter, we can soon activate our US branch (officially open but still in its infancy)!
Become a Beesper supporter and help us achieve some important objectives:
- Improve the design of BeesperNodes and turn them into a cool object to show with pride. We plan to produce the mould(s) for our new enclosure, taking into account your feedback and suggestions;
- Start a production with larger numbers, to lower the costs (for a lower price tag!): this means re-engineering the board, optimizing its configuration, and feedback from Kickstarter will help us in tailoring Beesper on your tastes!
- Keep on with the development of new specific applications (like BeesperGreen or BeesperBeer) and make them available upon all platforms
- ... and for advanced users and programmers, create a set of development-level APIs to let you create new "N-Apps" (network apps) for personal use, to be shared with the Beesper community or, why not, to be sold on line, sharing the revenues!
In short, we ask your support to help us in turning our existing and top-performing HW/SW platform for distributed data acquisition into a general purpose system, allowing anyone to quickly and easily collect, share, use data, develop "N-Apps" and sell them on the web.
We believe Beesper can really become the seed of a new world-wide community, generate new and until today only theorized scenarios and quickly turn into a tool which can really improve ours' and others' lives.
- (48 days)