Zombie Byte! | 2D Zombie Game | Parody of Video Game Culture
Experience a unique narrative driven Zombie Game that re-imagines and parodies video game culture. All Ages on iOS | Android | PC | MAC
Zombie Byte! | 2D Zombie Game | Parody of Video Game Culture
Experience a unique narrative driven Zombie Game that re-imagines and parodies video game culture. All Ages on iOS | Android | PC | MAC
Zombie Byte! is a fresh remix of the zombie video game experience delivering a 2D Narrative Driven action adventure game. Througha parody of Video Game Culture, Zombie Byte! appeals to new and old school gamers alike.
- Set in a parallel universe, you play as our young hero Miles as he Blasts, Grapples, and Battles zombified versions of his video games characters. Embarking across multiple installments in the Zombie Byte! Franchise you will experience an unique and engaging story filled with plot twists, triumph, and deception as you learn the true connection between Miles and the Zombie Video Game outbreak.
- Zombie Byte is an all-new side scrolling action adventure game. Built with the power of the UNITY engine Zombie Byte will be artistically graced with a blend of 3D Effects with 2D Art.
Here is our Unity Script and Animation Tech Demo of Miles Battling His Video Game Zombies With The Help of His Mech
The star and hero of Zombie Byte! is none other than Miles. We are deeply proud of Miles from a creation standpoint as we feel he is a very endearing character that will resonate in the hearts of gamers of all ages. We could not be happier with Miles leading the Zombie Byte! Franchise and feel one day he will be an iconic figure in video game culture. But enough of our thoughts on Miles here is brief description of him as a character.
- Miles is a witty, smart, and adept 13 year old boy who has a deep passion for all things video game. An avid gamer and collector Miles has amassed the world’s largest video game collection (in his parents basement).
- Miles has the biggest heart you will ever meet, he cares deeply for his friends and family, and always strives to do good in the world. At only 13 he is extremely wise and mature for his age.
**** SPINE PRO Animation Tech Demo of Miles Running ****
- One day while playing video games a portal suddenly appears and Miles' video games characters come to life as zombies, emerging from his TV. Instantly thrown into a struggle for survival, Miles quickly acts and is able to escape to safety before being zombified by the zombies. While in a safe place with time to reflect, Miles is absolutely confounded as to how a video game portal can even exist and open up inside his TV. There must be a connection between himself and the zombie outbreak but he can't be sure. All he knows is he must discover that connection and save the world from the zombie video game outbreak
And so the adventure of Zombie Byte! begins......
- If there is a hero then there must be a Bad Guy right?... Zombie Byte’s most-diabolical Bad Guy is none other than Dr. Wylee Botnic. Bent on extending the video game cyber world into Miles human world to rule over both worlds, Dr.B has created the dreaded T3 virus. Using the virus, Dr.B has zombified his fellow video game characters, building an army to transform Miles human world into an extension of the video game cyber world...
- Dr.B is still in production, Keep checking back often for new updates here on our Kickstarter for the release of Dr.B.
- After being zombified by the nefarious Dr. Wylee Botnic, Miles' video game characters fall under Dr.B's command and are sent to transform Miles' human world into an extension of Dr. B's video game world.
Here’s a brief look at some of the video game characters in Miles collection that are zombified and emerge from his TV. .
- | Zombies 1 & 2 | From Miles' video game titled "Super Electric Dudes" where two electricians who are also brothers scour the city fixing broken circuits.
- | Zombies 3 & 4 | From Miles' video game titled "Ultra Road Fighters Pro Arcade Edition" where fighters duke it out in one-on-one combat.
- | Zombie 5 | From Miles' video game titled "Aliens: Nuke Em Up" where a dude with really big muscles battles aliens and demons.
- | Zombies 6 & 7 | From Miles' video game titled "Fantasy Adventures" an adventure game where special materials grant powers to summon monsters.
- | Zombies 8 & 9 | From Miles' video game titled "Mortal Tournament" where fighters fight in a tournament to keep their souls.
- | Zombie 10 | From Miles' video game titled "Gravity Life" where aliens suck your face as you use gravity to solve puzzles.
Again this is just a brief look at some of the zombies Miles will confront. All zombies will have different strengths, health, and speed, proving difficult foes for Miles.
As the zombies attack Miles they will slowly zombify him. Players will see on screen Miles skin slowly start to get greener and greener with Miles' eyes slowly starting to transform in to the zombie styled "X" shaped eyes, giving players a visual cue to the amount of health they have remaining.
**** SPINE PRO Animation Tech Demo of Zombies Walking ****
Want to see more awesome zombies from Miles' video games!? We have roughly 20 zombies planned in total but WILL ADD MORE Zombies the More Funding we get so its up to you guys how many zombies are available. Time to dust off that old Reddit account and spread the word!
As you and Miles battle zombie hordes you of course need access to some serious hardware. As you play you will have the option to unlock up to 4 different Blaster weapon types, with each having its own unique functionality. Please see below for a description of Miles' Blaster types.
- | Pistol-Blaster | Is Miles most favorite and trusty blaster. It may have the advantage of unlimited ammo but also has the draw back of dealing the least amount of damage.
- | Shot-Blaster | This blaster type deals high damage with a scatter projectile effect making it great for taking out a single zombie but its slow reload speed make it ill suited for zombie hordes.
- | Auto-Blaster | This weapon type deals moderate damage. It is equipped with a fully automatic and semi automatic shooting mechanism allowing you to shoot as slow as you need to conserve ammo or to "let it rip" when the inevitable horde surrounds you.
- | RPG-Blaster | This blaster type is a rocket launcher weapon type that fires rocket propelled grenades raining down massive damage and splash damage onto zombie foes. Great for mini-boss and boss battles.
Through a co-conspirator, Your Blasters are imbued with video cyber world technology enabling them to revert the zombie hordes back to their video game worlds leaving behind the bits that make up their digital composition. Then speak with your co-conspirator at the shop where you can purchase and unlock new weapon types and upgraded weapon functionality.
Dont miss a minute of the Zombie Byte! Kickstarter as we will reveal who the co-conspirator is later in the campaign.
Another unique piece of equipment in Miles arsenal is the Grappling Hook. A versatile tool, the grappling hook allows you to swing away from harm or push back zombies by attacking them. Out of ammo? no worries...
With the Grappling Hook selected on your button load out simply swipe on screen in the direction you want to aim the grappling hook and it will shoot out of Miles' controller. We plan on making it so that the grappling hook can grab onto zombies, scripted puzzle/environment sequences, and most level elements that are physically in height above Miles.
Another gameplay feature of the grappling hook that we are super excited to implement is the ZOMBTALITY! ---- Aim your grappling hook just right at a zombies head and grapple onto it.... Then quickly swipe on screen with your finger to remove the zombies head... and hear a narrators deep voice yell ZOMBTALITY! ... Bad A** I know right =]
But Wait!...What’s a gamer's game without a MECH?! So naturally we added a Mech into Zombie Byte!. Get your pilot on and blast some zombie hordes with a custom reversed knee walking Mech.
Here is a quick breakdown of the Mechs' in-game mechanics
- While piloting the Mech you will be able run, jump, and blast zombies
- In Hardcore difficulty Mode you will be able to purchase upgraded weapons system on the Mech at the shop with your "bits". - More details to come - but this will only be available if we reach the Hardcore Mode stretch goal. Lets make it happen!
**** SPINE PRO Animation Tech Demo of the Mech Chasing Zombies ****
Another Mech gameplay element that we are super excited to implement if we reach the corresponding stretch goal is the N-GLOVE. Only available in the uber difficult Zombie Master! Mode, Miles will now have access to this exclusive item in the shop to purchase.
Once purchased at the shop with your accumulated "bits" through out beating Zombie Byte! on casual and hardcore modes you can now equip the mighty N-GLOVE. You will then be able to call in a Mech at will, letting it FALL from the sky, smashing all zombies it lands on. Once landed Miles will be able to activate one of two operational systems on the mech to aid him in battle.
- Offensive Combat System: This operational system will link the mech up to miles consciousness and will mirror every action Miles makes. If Miles shoots the Mech shoots, if Miles jumps the Mech jumps, and so forth.
- Defensive Combat System: This operational system will allow Miles to lock down the Mech in a single spot effectively turning the Mech into a automate guard turret.The Mech will not be able to move when in Defensive Mode but it will auto target acquire zombies and fire at will, plus it will make for a great distraction drawing zombies to it as Miles makes his escape or needs a second to make a Play It Forward! request with out being attacked during the request.
Remember tho that the N-GLOVE is only available in Zombie Master! mode so spread the word and lets pwn that stretch goal! Trust us, we want to play Zombie Master! just as much as you do!
CORE GAMEPLAY MECHANICS:
- Zombie Byte! is centered around controlling Miles by running, jumping, swinging, piloting a Mech, shooting zombies, collecting "bits", saving NPC's, taking on boss battles, light puzzle elements, scripted sequences, and cut scenes to drive the story forward, all within a 2D side-scrolling action adventure setting.
- "Bits" are the currency in Zombie Byte! that can be used to purchase new weapon types and upgrade current weapon types. After defeating a zombie and sending him back to his video game word he will leave behind a set amount of "bits, bytes, megabytes or gigabytes" for Miles to collect. The currency is a direct play on how digital information in our world is stored in the forms of 1's and 0's or bits. This also specifically ties into the title Zombie Byte! as the zombies are digital zombies, thus made up of "bits." Clever right ;P
- Each level, from a design perspective, will be created in a similar vein as the Metal Slug and Super Mario video games. We are going to strive to bring levels to life by adding wind, rain, lighting elements, and by animating background and foreground set pieces to create a more alive and immersive level.
- Our goal in regards to the control of Zombie Byte! is to create a fast and fluid system for controlling Miles and switching between equipment. To achieve this we have come up with a solid control scheme where button location/position can be interchanged with other button locations (so you can position the buttons to fit your play style) and also by adding customizable "Nodes" to each button for quickly changing weapon types (more details below).
- The controls on mobile and tablet devices will be as followed: There will be a virtual joystick on the left side of the device with 3 buttons in a reverse "L" shape on the right side of the device (buttons will be very translucent as not to cover up the action on screen). The virtual joystick will handle all aspects of aiming functionality including weapons, grappling hook, and direction of Miles running and jumping. The 3 buttons on the right side of your device will each have its own function, one for running (hold down to activate), one for using the grappling hook (aim with the left joystick then tap the hook's button to fire), and one for using your weapons (tap said button to fire that specific weapon).
- Simply put "nodes" are equipment slots on a button that can be customized to hold different weapons and features which then can be quickly equipped in-game by swiping the button in the direction of the corresponding node. As of now there will be 4 nodes for the Weapon and Running buttons, one for each direction, up down left and right.
- To customize a Button and its equipment node hold down the button you would like to remap which will bring up a fly out menu with the 4 nodes. Tap the specific node you want customized then continue to tap said node to cycle through your weapons and equipment until you find your weapon of choice, then tap the main button again to apply that particular weapon to that node. Repeat until each node has your equipment of choice to your customized corresponding direction (up, down, left, right).
- For example; to switch from the Pistol-Blaster to the Auto-Blaster during gameplay first setup your nodes on the weapon button to your liking. Then during gameplay simply swipe with your finger from the center of the weapon button in the direction (left, right, up, or down) of the corresponding node slot that you just set the Auto-Blaster in.
- For example; to make Miles jump during gameplay first setup your nodes on the Run Button to hold the jumping command in which ever node is easiest for you to swipe to make Miles jump. After that is set up simply aim the joystick in the direction you want to run, then hold down the run button to make Miles run, and when your ready to jump swipe your finger in the direction of the node that you have set to hold the jump command.
Through out your journey with Miles you will be faced with uncertain odds, and sometimes may become overwhelmed, in need of help. With the power of social media, through what we call Play it Forward! you will be able to request help from other players in the Zombie Byte! community.
- Every player will start out with a set amount of Play It Forward!'s available to them. This keeps players from just spamming Play It Forward! and unbalancing the gameplay. To get additional Play It Forward!'s simply purchase more at the shop with your "bits" or rescue multiple human NPC's that will be spread through out a level.
Speaking of Which, do you want to be in the game? We are offering a reward tier where you send us your likeness and we will digitize you and put you in the game as one of the NPC humans that Miles can save. Pretty cool right! (spots are limited so hurry and snatch them up before some else does)
- This is your chance to show the world that you were here from the beginning, an original Zombie Byte! backer and supporter... Display your awesomeness with backer only t-shirts, a Zombie Byte! USB Flash Drive, or even a Cos Play set!, we can already sense your giddiness ;)
- Our first few tiers of rewards we feel are pretty self explanatory so below you will find more details about some of the higher end rewards.
EXCLUSIVE BACKER Only T-shirts!
- Show off your Zombie Byte! Pride with one of two special edition backer t-shirts! All T-shirts are vibrantly printed with the latest Direct To Garment (DTG) technology for long lasting results. Fitting of shirts is Universal in Fit and Style. Sizes range from XS - 3XL.
DOG TAG - USB Flash Drive! (8GB)
- In this day in age, data and files have become more and more important and increasingly transferred from device to device. Now you can rock your Zombie Byte! pride and bring all your important files with you wherever you go. Each USB Dog Tag is double sided and LASER ENGRAVED with your Official Backer Status plus the Zombie Byte! logo. All Dog Tag drives include a Ball Chain Necklace, are 8GB in capacity, and are USB 2.0 compliant.
MILES COSPLAY Costume Set!
- Luv Cos Play? Costume Connoisseur? or Simply looking for a great gift for children and the child of heart? Zombie Byte!'s official Costume (CosPlay) kit is a truly one of a kind reward that satisfies everyone's love of dressing up as their favorite hero...
- Don't forget to join the Zombie Byte CosPlay community and send us your pics to be seen on the official Zombie Byte! Facebook and Twitter pages.
MILES ACTION FIGURE - USB Flash Drive (8GB)
- Can't get enough of lovable Miles? Action Figure Collector? With the custom molded action figure reward Miles will be with you always, forever protecting your data from the digital zombies.
- Miles Action Figure USB Flash Drive comes with an 8GB capacity and is USB 2.0 compliant.
- While the main focus will be on the story and the single player campaign, we are also looking to enrich Zombie Byte! with additional game-play mechanics. Through stretch goals this can become a reality. With your help we would like to add new features that we feel are fun, strengthen camaraderie of “Play it Forward!” and provide considerable replay value to Zombie Byte!... But this can only happen with your help, so please spread the word through out your social media stratosphere and we can ALL partake in creating this great game. =D
- Due to development time constraints only the Leader Boards & Achievements stretch goal will be Launch* ready. The remaining stretch goals* will be released later via free game updates, continually bringing you new and exciting gameplay elements in a responsible and practical manner. *Only if applicable stretch goal(s) have been met of course.
- All Non-Launch stretch goals (if met) will be released every 1-4 months after its previous stretch goal has been developed and released, continuing in turn until all met stretch goals have been developed and released.
$150,000.00 - Leader Boards & Achievements
- Do you have what it takes to be the best of the best?!... Track your rank amongst your fellow players in the Zombie Byte! community as you climb the ranks to greatness.
- Achievements will also be added to Zombie Byte! Test your skills and master the awaiting challenges, if you dare.
$175,000.00 - Windows ( PC )
- Zombie Byte! claws its way onto Windows based PC’s, Tablets, and Smartphones.
$200,000.00 - MAC OSX ( PC )
- Zombie Byte! shreds its way onto Mac (OSX) based PC’s
$225,000.00 - Controller Support
- iOS, USB, and Bluetooth controller support.
$250,000.00 - Mini Game Main Menu
- Mini-Game Interactive Game Main Menu Screen. Shoot the zombies in the background if you like by tapping them on screen. Who know’s what kind of goodies you may find...
$300,000.00 - OUYA
- The zombie video game outbreak spreads its way onto the OUYA console! Players beware.
$350,000.00 - Steam OS / Linux
- The zombie video game outbreak continues to spread... You better run Steam OS / Linux, its only a matter of time...
$400,000.00 - Hardcore Mode
- Hard Core Mode is an extra game play mode that equates to a higher difficulty where zombies are stronger and have more health. Hard Core Mode will unlock after beating the game on Casual Mode. Your unlocked Blasters will also carry over with each having a new charge up shooting mechanism.
$425,000.00 - Hardcore Achievements
- Achievements for Hard Core play will be added to Zombie Byte! Further test your zombie slaying skills.
$475,000.00 - Zombie Friends! Mode
- In this exciting game mode you will be able to turn your social media friends into zombies for Miles to battle by replacing the heads of the zombies with your friends profile pics. Now as you play your zombie friends will be mixed in with the normal zombies. Sweeet...
$555,555.55 - Zombie Master! Mode & TAG
- Want to live forever as a legend? Then become a Zombie Master! where you will be enshrined on the GameForward.co website and Zombie Byte! Facebook page for all to see!
- To become a Zombie Master! you must beat Zombie Byte! on Casual & Hardcore modes, complete all Achievements, and unlock all TAGs and Power Ups. Once completed a final new mode will unlock, the ultra hard “Zombie Master!” mode... Next lay down some serious pwnage to beat Zombie Master! mode and become a zombie slaying legend… Woot! who's got bragging rights now...
Meet The Dev Team Behind Zombie Byte!
JOIN US ON FACEBOOK & Don't Forget to "LIKE" =]
FOLLOW USON TWITTER@ZombieByteGame #ZombieByte
Risks and challenges
Zombie Byte! is not a stripped down or simplistic mobile phone game. Rather Zombie Byte! will have all the typical features found in a full on console / PC game title. Those features include a fully developed story, robust gameplay, and a multitude of characters.
As in any game development project there are always risks of bugs presenting themselves and deadlines possibly being extended, simply put its the nature of the gaming business. We here at GameForward Studio have put in a serious effort to foresee any possible issues and have planned accordingly, which accounts for our 14-18 month estimated development time.
Depending on the funding amount reached we foresee a few possible issues that may extend development time of certain features. For example if Hardcore and Zombie Master! stretch goals are met developing those modes may take longer than expected as we play test and balance the gameplay of those modes to the high level of quality that we want to achieve.
Play it Forward! is another area where development time may be extended as we balance and implement Play it Forward! into players social media lives without creating spam or annoying players. We envision Play it Forward as being a key gameplay element and not an endless spam update of requests on players social media accounts.
To nullify the risks of having additional stretch goals we will release said stretch goals on a 1 - 4 month cycle with each stretch goal being released after the previous stretch goal has been developed and released. Ultimately this will allow for the addition of new gameplay elements while at the same time delivering those elements in a responsible and practical manner.
We also have a dedicated staff to handle all aspects of reward fulfillment that will oversee, organize, and process said rewards for you the backers, ensuring all rewards will be delivered on time and accurately. We will also have direct communication with backers during the fulfillment process readily available to answer questions.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)