What is a Brakeboard?
The Brakeboard is a skateboard truck (axle) with a built-in brake system. It allows for powerful and controllable stopping and smooth speed control down steep descents.
Until now, stopping or controlling a skateboard down any hill at speed has been a challenge. Foot braking and power-sliding require a high level of riding skill. With the Brakeboard, all riders can enjoy controlled hill descents, either by maintaining a velocity continuously or simply braking from speed at a hill's end.
The brakes fit any longboard and can retro-fit your existing board. They ride like any normal truck retaining the regular turning abilities. Pushing and sliding are also not affected by the brake. You can even use your existing longboard wheels.
The Brakeboard is an excellent way to introduce yourself to the sport of longboarding and, for the initiated, it adds a further dimension to riding.
How they work.
The Brakeboard Boxset.
The brake consists of two independent cone clutches. An outer aluminium drum is lined with friction material. An inner cone is made from stainless steel. The friction components are shielded, preventing the wheels from wearing or melting.
A pair of spring-loaded levers push the inner cone members into the brake linings. These stainless steel levers are balanced with a unique linkage that connects through the skateboard deck. The brake design allows for mobility and turning of a regular longboard truck.
On top of the deck is a brake pedal that is foot operated. Brake power is controlled by body weight applied to the pedal. The pedal sits on a urethane bushing that regulates the downward force for smooth braking without throwing the rider off their deck.
Brake drum and aluminium cored wheels.
The brakes allow for long and fast braking while avoiding damage to your wheels or shoes. (Both of which occur with current stopping techniques.) The brake design uses low-cost, replaceable, hard wearing brake pads.
We have used tried and true materials for top quality skateboard trucks; gravity cast aluminium for the hangers and bases; stainless steel axles for corrosion prevention; polyurethane bushes for great carving response; high tensile kingpins for strength.
The brake components are made from CNC machined aluminium and stainless steel, plus special purpose brake compounds as used in motor vehicle brake systems.
The brake drums are designed to fit a large variety of longboard wheels. We have also have special purpose Brakeboard wheels for easy fitting.
We are a small, family owned business spanning USA to Australia. After many years of development in Jan 2013 we released a product range. We got feedback from interested riders from all over the globe.
Satisfaction is very high. But there are a range of requests for additional options. These are the new features we hope to complete with your pledges.
- A removable brake pedal. A pedal design that can be easlity removed with one nut. Leaving a relatively flat surface to place your foot. This is so if they rider would like to use his/her board for freestyle riding. And when hitting the hills, easily re-attached. (The new pedal design will retro-fit the current brake sets.)
- A range of drum sizes. From 65mm or the way up to 110mm. The current range are designed for wheels 65-75mm. The various sizes will retro-fit the brake components and standard wheels. This has been prototyped and tested.
- Super-high speed lining range. For the elite riders who ride in excess of 50mph. We hope to investigate a range of materials, particularly carbon ceramics as used in motor-sport. (These will be able to retro-fit existing brakes.)
Nick Capra of New Jersey posted this review on youtube this month. His mom loves Brakeboard :)
Brakeboard has already begun receiving positive feedback from the longboarding community:
- "The longboard trucks are awesome, they are stable and ride great, brakes very strong but controllable. 10 out 10." Gareth (Rocky). Gold Coast Australia.
- "This is a great innovation." . "I used these on my most recent skateboard push across America, 'A Push to Remember'...worked just fine coming down the Cascades in Oregon" Jack Smith: Skateboarders Journal USA
- "I've literally had dreams about this kind of thing!" Derek Shore USA.
- "I'm impressed with the quality of the Brakeboard design. A lot of thought and testing clearly went into this longboard/skateboard braking system. Brakeboard is the best. Brian from Oregon USA.
We are offering a range of awards, some of which are available for immediate shipping at the campaign's end. For those willing to wait a little longer, the rewards will include the new removable pedal.
Brakeboard trucks are not a safety device. Even with brakes, skateboarding is a dangerous sport and can cause serious injury or death. PLEASE wear protective gear (helmets and pads) while riding and be aware of other vehicles and people. Don't ride outside your limits, and finally, use common sense.
These are the current brake component specs:
- Trucks are 190mm wide (Between the inner bearings)
- The base plate is 45 degrees.
- Wheels 70mm 80a - Aluminium Core
- Standard 608zz - Abec7 Bearings
- Brake Pads - Auto lining composite
- Brake Disc - Stainless Steel
- Brake drum 50mm (65mm-75mm wheels range)
- Deck - 8 ply Canadian Rock Maple 100cm x 25cm drop-through
The Brakeboard brake design is protected by US Patent 6659480, Australian Patent Application 20120901969 and PCT/AU2013/000490.
'Brakeboard' is a registered trade mark.
Risks and challenges
I, Ben Newman, with family and friends support, have been developing the product for over a decade. After years of testing and sourcing, reliable manufacturing processes have been finalised. We have come to Kickstarter at the last stages of our product's launch.
I have proven my capabilities getting to this stage. The product has been recognised by industry with a handful of design awards. Independent skateboard journals have tested and confirmed the product quality and function.
The next generation ceramic components still require research and development and may take some time before they are available. Backers will be kept informed of the stages of development.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)