Remix is an Android 4.4.2 based, 11.6” ultra-tablet that provides the best mobile productivity & communication experience for users.
It exists because in early 2013, we had a vision: that the future of personal computing would be on big touchscreen mobile devices. Then we innovated with singular focus based on that vision.
Imagine being able to run 100% of the apps available on Google Play, while also being able to create content easily and seamlessly.
Tweet, write emails, and watch YouTube at the same time in multiple windows...on a tablet! Our vision of big screens would be meaningless if we didn't put the extra real estate to use.
Imagine all the mobility advantages of tablets combined with the productivity power of PCs.
In our vision, people shouldn't have to choose between convenience and the ability to create content, between long battery life and a full size physical keyboard, between being productive and using apps.
We envisioned, we built, and we're on Kickstarter to introduce Remix.
STATE OF THE MARKET
Remix brings together the mobile advantages of tablets and the productivity advantages of laptops. The result is what we call an ultra-tablet.
WHY WE'RE ON KICKSTARTER
We're not your typical Kickstarter project. We've gotten our first round of investment. We've launched a localized product that has undergone a year of development in the Chinese market. But we're starting from scratch with the US version of Remix here on Kickstarter.
We're here with the singular goal of finding passionate innovators and early adopters in the US to join us in forming our global community. We don't ask you to love us right away; we ask you to come and build something with us.
Feedback from our community is key to our development. That's why we'll ship a Remix to every backer here, no matter which tier you pledge at. We just want to get Remix into your hands. Estimated retail price for Remix will be $399. Our tiers reward tiers start at $39. Could we be more clear about our intentions?
Send us feedback on how to make Remix OS better. If there's enough support within the community for your suggestion, then we'll make your idea realized with the next systems upgrade. YOUR OS, YOUR WAY.
WHO HAS TALKED ABOUT US
WHAT THEY SAID ABOUT US
- Mashable: “Remix is the Android tablet that can replace your laptop.”
- Liliputing: “…the software is what really makes this device special.”
- PCWorld: “…it (Remix OS) could finally turn Android into the hybrid OS that Windows never was.”
- Extremetech: “Remix OS goes beyond standard Android.”
- ZDNet: “Jide has created the Remix experience to improve that work experience, both in its hardware and its software.”
- Androidcentral: “The killer feature in Remix OS is…its multi-window support.”
- Tom’s Hardware: “This focus on design makes Remix an attractive-looking OS.”
WHAT IS REMIX?
Remix ultra-tablet is an 11.6" Android 4.4.2 based mobile productivity device that brings together the productivity of PCs with the mobile advantages of tablets through its custom engineered Remix OS. But let's start with the big screen...
BIG SCREEN ULTRA-TABLET
- 11.6” Full HD IPS touchscreen
- 1920 x 1080p
- 16:9 aspect ratio
- 10-point touchscreen
Lots of screen real estate so you can get your stuff done. Remix’s big 11.6”, full HD touchscreen lays the foundation for many of Remix’s software innovations and features. What led us to this specific screen size? It was determined by our…
FULL SIZE KEYBOARD
- Magnetic Connector/5mm thin design
- Full size Keyboard & Touchpad
- Doubles as a screen cover
The most efficient data input method is still the keyboard that you mastered in elementary school, and that keyboard was a full-size keyboard. We could go into the details, but the bottom line is, your fingers will get it. Another thing that you’ll get is our…
The key to Remix and our vision of the future is our custom engineered version of Android 4.4.2 (soon to be updated to Android 5.0) - Remix OS.
Standard Android is an open-source, mobile OS made for small screens like phones and small tablets. Most Android tablets on store shelves use stock Android regardless of their screen size.
What separates us from the common Android tablet you'll find on store shelves is that we've custom engineered Android so that it’s optimized for big touchscreens and attached keyboards. Let’s start with the taskbar…
A taskbar at the bottom of your screen so you can manage and switch between running apps. We meant it when we said that we wanted to build the BEST mobile productivity experience you can have. This means giving you all the computing habits that are ingrained in you so you spend less time figuring how to do things, and more time doing more things. Speaking of spending less time figuring things out...
If you've ever tried to find or manage files on your tablet before, you'll understand the significance of the next sentence.
We've made it easy for you to find & manage files on Remix.
Wow. 'Nuff said. Now, onto another "wow" feature on Remix...
Remember when multitasking was a job skill you’d put on your resume? Nowadays, it’s a life skill no one can live without. On PCs, multitasking and multi-windows are taken for granted. But on an Android tablet, it’s rare to find and even rarer to find useful. Isn't it time your devices caught up with your pace of life? And if that life is usually on the go…
FOR LIFE ON THE GO
Our founders are three ex-Google senior engineers who've accrued more than a combined 26 years working in Mountain View. The products they've had a hand in leading or building have been used by over 2 billion people in the world.
- Jeremy Chau (1st software engineer on Google AdWords): "Our vision is more than just this product. We want to make tools for people to create & communicate, and then watch them being used in innovative ways we never imagined."
- David Ko (Lead engineer on AdWords mobile for SME): "Building an operating system takes time and a lot of hard work. But building a great operating system takes more than that. It takes a lot of feedback from the community who use it everyday."
- Ben Luk (Lead engineer on Google Maps, Asia): "Be a part of our community. Engage with us and Remix will reflect your ideas and what you need from your personal computing."
WHERE WE'VE BEEN
The idea of Remix started in early 2013 as just a software vision. People have and use tablets for fun, but creating content is just painful or impossible, especially on Android tablets.
As we were building Remix OS, we looked in the market for big tablets to show off our software. We discovered a market full of subpar options. So, we make a huge strategic pivot: build our own hardware to release the potential of Remix OS.
We partnered with Foxconn, one of the most experienced electronic manufacturers in the world. Partnering with them gives us the peace of mind that Remix ultra-tablet would live up to a quality standard that matched our software.
WHERE WE WANT TO GO
Remix is just the first step of our vision. We aspire to play a role in the coming information revolution sometimes called the Internet of Things (IoT). We believe that in this future, the optimized marriage between software and hardware is key.
Alan Key once said, "people who are serious about software should make their own hardware." We buy in to this ideal and Remix is just the first embodiment of this vision.
This is THE POINT of our campaign. Add us on Facebook and join the Remix community. Be a Remixer and help us build a better product for you by giving us feedback to help us produce a more useful, relevant product.
How it works:
- Join us on our Facebook Remix community page.
- Send us your feedback and suggest changes or features to Remix OS.
- We’ll collect your feedback biweekly and filter it based on feasibility and common sense.
- The list will be shared within the community and the suggestions will be put up to a vote. The top vote-getting feature(s) will be realized into a future version of Remix OS.
- Active Remixers will receive periodic offers from us for other goodies in the future.
- Commit to using your Remix for 15 hours a week.
- Commit to giving us feedback weekly.
- Only suggestions share through our Facebook community page will be considered for a future update of Remix OS.
- Be nice and respect others’ suggestions.
- Be constructive – don’t just tell us that something bad, tell us how we can improve.
Sunrise Red - Stand out. Be different. This red pops and brings you the attention you want. Instant conversation starter... "Oooh, what's that?"
Moonlight Silver - Clean and professional. At home in the boardroom or the living room. Make a statement without trying.
COUNTRIES WE ARE SHIPPING TO
- United States
- Czech Republic
- New Zealand
- United Kingdom
- Hong Kong
Risks and challenges
We have a dedicated team located within a 30min drive from the manufacturer so that we can deal with issues that may arise in person and in real time. Our team is staffed with experienced professionals in the sourcing and hardware manufacturing industries. Their expertise and proximity to the factory should be able to mitigate any of the manufacturing issues that may come up.
We're working with highly experienced logistics partners to help us mitigate any of the issues that may arise with shipping. If shipping issues come up, their expert knowledge will help us navigate through difficulties and help us get Remix into your hands.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)