(featured on PewDiePie and SmoshGames - scroll down for video)
Default Dan is a casual platformer for desktop and mobile platforms. It flips the time-honored platforming genre upside down by making every object in the game do the opposite of what it appears. By using the player’s own instincts against them, Default Dan aims to provide a humorous, mind-bending experience that gamers of all ages can enjoy.
- Think backwards to survive a wide variety of devious mechanics: Instead of unfair tricks, the path forward can always be deduced as long as you consistently flip your preconceptions. For example, springboards would normally increase your jump, so in Default Dan they prevent you from jumping.
- Find collectibles and other secrets to unlock game content: Unlock hilarious bonus stages where you are tasked with collecting every coin in the fewest amount of deaths. Your dismembered body parts can continue to collect coins even after you respawn!
- Compete with others online for the fastest time: All of the stages in Default Dan are designed and tested to support a satisfying speed run meta-game. Deaths will add to your time, so perfect runs are required for maximum score. Time-ranked leaderboards are provided for every stage in the game.
- A parody of the classic games of yesteryear: Dan’s dimwitted best friend is abducted by a mean-spirited little princess. In order to rescue his friend, Dan must defeat the princess and her army of cute minions. Join us on an endearingly backward quest that we hope will keep you smiling with playful interpretations of classic gaming tropes.
- New Environment Art: This sample by environment artist Eamon Gavin is a taste of what is come if our campaign is funded:
- New Content: With the final version of Default Dan we aim to triple the amount of game content that we've shown so far in our public beta. This will include many new stages, mechanics, and even a boss or two. These take a lot of time to playtest and polish, and we want our backers to be a part of that process.
- Animated Cutscenes: We hope to expand on the story and characters of Default Dan with the help of talented artist Kevin Whelan.
- Multiplatform Development: We want to release Dan on as many platforms as we can, but with each new platform comes additional fees. This also includes the hardware costs involved in ensuring Default Dan will run beautifully on a variety of devices.
- Business Costs: The administrative costs include licensing fees, legal consulting, and a few other odds and ends.
Who are we anyway?
PewDiePie plays Default Dan
Featured on GameTime with Smosh
$1: Become a Supporter:
$5: Copy of the Finished Game
- PC/Mac: You'll receive a download link with a DRM-free copy of the game.
- iOS: We will gift the app to your iTunes account once it is released. U.S. ACCOUNTS ONLY! We are sorry to say Apple does not provide another feasible way to hand out free copies, and we cannot gift to accounts from other countries.
- Android: You will receive a download link with the .apk file to copy to your Android device.
$15: Digital Extras
- Default Dan soundtrack .mp3s
- A short Default Dan comic .pdf
- High Quality character and animation renders
$25: Beta Access, T-Shirt
Default Dan Silhouette Shirt:
$50: Bobble Head Mode!
We are especially excited to announce that with your pledge of $50 or more, we will create for you a personalized desktop copy (Windows or Mac) of Default Dan that replaces Dan’s head with your own! Just provide us with digital images of yourself with various facial expressions, and we will take care of the rest. You will be able to turn this feature on or off from the main menu and it will apply to all of the stages throughout the entire game.
$75: Dan's Hat
$100: Dan Amigurumi!
$500: Sponsor Tier
Default Dan’s website can be accessed at www.DefaultDan.com where you can sign up for our newsletter.
Direct any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org, and we will get back to you as soon as we can.
Risks and challenges
We understand that as an unestablished indie developer, we face a heightened imperative to establish credibility with our backers. For this reason we waited until we had a working beta that runs on Windows, Mac, and iOS to launch this campaign. By doing so we have removed many of the risks for you, and bolstered our confidence in completing the final steps.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (45 days)