Stop sunburns before they happen with Sundikator, the small patch that changes color when you need more sunscreen.
- This comfortable patch is safe for all skin types and flexible enough that you won't even feel it while you and your family enjoy the sun.
- It's easy to use- just press onto the skin, remove the backing, apply sunscreen all over, including the patch, and go outside!
- When it's time to reapply your sunscreen, the Sundikator patch will change colors to let you know. The new layer of sunscreen will make the Sundikator patch clear- it's reusable the whole time you're outside.
How to Use Sundikator?
- Before going outdoor, peel off Sundikator from backing paper
- Gently attach Sundikator to your exposed skin then remove the frame
- Apply sunscreen all over, including Sundikator
- Have fun in the sun, Sundikator changes color when you need to replenish your sunscreen
- Reapply sunscreen and Sundikator turns invisible. It doesn't re-surface until it’s time to reapply sunscreen.
The Sundikator patch takes the guesswork out of sunscreen- it's ideal for children, who can easily forgot when it's time to stop for another layer, for athletes who spend time at the beach, on the boat, or on the links, or for anyone who wants to make sure they have constant UV protection. It also has applications for people with UV sensitivity caused by illness or medication, or have a family history of skin disease.
The sun's harsh UV rays can be blocked by good-quality sunscreen, but it's tricky to know when it's time to reapply. Sweat, water, sand, clothing- all these things can wear down sunscreen's power to protect. When you're having fun in the sun, how do you know when to reapply? Studies suggest every two hours is ideal, but throw in all sorts of other factors and that window isn't accurate enough to ensure that your skin is safe. Studies have also shown that nearly 90% of skin's visible aging is caused by UV rays. The Sundikator patch is for anybody who will be exposed to the sun for long periods of time, whether it's outside at a baseball game, at the pool or the beach, or a day of yardwork. Everyone can benefit from the extra protection.
We also want the Sundikator patch to be accessible and affordable. Right now, we expect the price to be lower than some alternative solutions on the market. The alternatives are single-use only and about $1 per product. We're looking at the same price per unit, but Sundikator can function for more than a week (great for camping and boating trips) as long as it remains on the skin.
Here is a video shows you the early proof-of-concept test!
The beauty of the Sundikator is that it offers critical information about sunscreen on your skin to avoid accumulative and irreplaceable UV damage. It’s a small, hidden, comfortable little patch that has a medical-grade adhesive base layer that gently attaches to the most sensitive skin. On each patch is a little ink stamp that doesn’t surface until it’s time to reapply sunscreen.
Here’s the breakdown: the ink molecules absorb energy from sunlight and transform into an active state that produces color when the UV rays are strongest. Once there is no sun exposure, the ink goes back to its normal color. The ink is protected by layers of micro-cells that make it both durable and waterproof so it maintains sensitivity in many different environments. What’s more, the proprietary ink is only activated by sunlight so it stays colorless when you’re indoors.
How will we spend the money?
If we get additional funding, we will spend money to make Sundikator better, smarter and more accessible to everyone. Here is a list of things we want to do with additional funding.
- Formulate new shade/color
- Complete Sundikator product line
- Hire professional management team
- Expand Sundikator to global market
- Develop products based on Sundikator's technology to address the problem in adjacent market
Risks and challenges
1. Finalize our images on the Sundikator.
As you can see from the video, Sundikator is at its prototype phase, and the images are still generic. We want to put the best imagines and designs on the Sundikator, so everyone can enjoy using it. Thus, delay in determining the imagines can impact the final delivery schedule.
2. Scale-up in printing process.
We contracted with one of our local printing companies for manufacturing the prototypes. In order to fulfill a larger amount of the orders, we have to develop a way to print larger amount of films in a reasonable time. Since the substrate has a unique surface, it could be challenging to scale-up the printing process.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (40 days)