Just a few weeks ago the world watched as Alton Sterling and Philando Castile were murdered in cold blood by those who pledged to protect and serve. We watched Michael Brown's body lay in the middle of the street for hours, reminiscent of a modern-day lynching. We watched Eric Brown get choked to death for selling cigarettes. We heard the story of 7 year old Aiyana Jones whose life was carelessly taken too soon. We watched Freddie Gray's lifeless body get dragged into a police car. And through each and every trial we marched, tweeted and waited in vain only to watch their killers walk free and ask, what now?
It's time to protest with our money. Imagine a world where we support and build each other from within; recycling more of our money back into our communities to create generational wealth, jobs, and opportunities. As we rise as a community, we will gain more influence to fight and prevent the injustices we face. We've learned through history that policies are changed when bottom lines are impacted. The first step is supporting one another and buying black. This is our goal with the Official Black Wall Street App and this is your opportunity to be a part of the movement.
What is Official Black Wall Street?
Official Black Wall Street was founded in 2014 to encourage Black ownership and provide conscious consumers with a comprehensive, user-friendly directory of Black-owned businesses around the world. Studies show that out of our $1.1 trillion buying power only 2% is invested in Black-owned businesses. This platform was created out of a need to support Black businesses to funnel more of that money back into our communities.
Since launching, we have connected thousands of consumers with Black businesses and have given Black entrepreneurs from all walks of life a place to share their journey and promote their business. With nearly 2,000 Black-owned businesses now listed on www.OfficialBlackWallStreet.com (and counting…) it’s time to expand to accommodate our growth. But we can’t do it without your help.
So What’s Next? The Official Black Wall Street App
FEATURES FOR CONSUMERS:
- Find Black Businesses Via Location – Finding Black-owned businesses will never be so easy. Search for businesses based on distance/location, rating, what’s open now, keywords, and category.
- Full Business Listings – Find out more about each business with comprehensive listing pages where you'll be able to rate and review businesses, find their hours of operation, location, see images, and more important information.
- Profiles - Bookmark your favorite businesses and upcoming events for easy access. Submit Black businesses to the directory for free.
- Messaging Board and Private Messaging – Whether you're an aspiring entrepreneur who wants to connect with current business owners to soak in their knowledge, collaborate with others and find your new co-founder or discuss today’s issues with likeminded individuals, this is the perfect place to do so. The OBWS app will provide a space to share tips and resources with other conscious Black consumers, entrepreneurs, and aspiring business owners.
- News – Stay abreast of what’s going on in our communities and learn more about the stories of young Black entrepreneurs around the world.
- Special Offers – Buy black and spend wisely with our curated list of special offers from Black businesses. Be notified when your favorite businesses are having a promotion or sale.
- Events – Find out what’s going on in your area for Black professionals from protests to day parties and fundraisers.
FEATURES FOR ENTREPRENEURS:
- Full Business Listings – Provide potential consumers with a snapshot of what your business offers with our comprehensive business listings. Claim your business to reply to reviews and questions, message consumers who favorite your listing, add photos, videos, and more.
- Connect With Consumers – Promote your business to the masses using our messaging board system. Post about your job openings, events, and more. Share your knowledge and advice with other aspiring entrepreneurs.
- Promote Your Sales - Using our Special Offers section, entrepreneurs will be able to further promote their business promotions.
- Events – Submit your organization or business events to be added to the app for more exposure.
- Advertising - The OBWS App will provide even more opportunities to get your business in front of potential consumers with featured business ads, and more throughout the app.
"Our people not only have to be re-educated to the importance of supporting Black business but the Black man himself has to be made aware of the importance of going into business." - Malcolm X
Risks and challenges
We have a list of amazing capabilities and features we’d like to introduce to the world through the Official Black Wall Street app however because we're still in our infancy stage we can't afford a lot of the associated costs. Please pledge as little as $1 to help us on our journey to rebuild the Black community.
WHERE ARE THE FUNDS GOING?
We've found an amazing local black developer who will help bring our vision to life! Fees for app production and updates after launch are $23,800.
We've gotten a few emails about site glitches and want to make sure our website is as user-friendly as possible (we know how annoying those glitches can be!). Our developer will also be helping us with website updates for $3,000: our directory landing pages, adding a section for job listings, back end/user profile updates, and streamlining our business submission and claiming process.
Rewards and Shipping:
We have some amazing rewards to thank you for your pledges! We want people to be able to sample Black-owned businesses and also learn about Tulsa's historic Black Wall Street and how to create their own business. We've factored in $2,000 to provide these rewards to you.
We've also factored in Kickstarter's 5% fee and 3-5% processing fee per pledge.
- (30 days)