Okie-talkie: Two-way Voice Chats for Kids (Canceled)
Okie-talkie: Two-way Voice Chats for Kids (Canceled)
Stay in touch with your kids, no phone required. Distraction-free communication that lets kids be kids.
Stay in touch with your kids, no phone required. Distraction-free communication that lets kids be kids. Read more
The Okie-talkie provides a direct line to kids without the intrusion of mobile phones and the Internet. Kids receive voice chats in the Okie-talkie that they can respond to when the time is right, avoiding constant interruptions in their daily routine. The day will come when they’ll be old enough for a smartphone. But until then, you can help them hold onto their childhood, while still staying connected.
Okie-talkie is an age-appropriate communication device for kids aged 5 to 12 and their parents. Our voice-chat technology is designed to make connecting simple, reliable and uncomplicated. Now you can make plans, check in, or just tell your kids you love them, with a device that enhances childhood instead of detracting from it. Childhood is precious, Okie-talkie helps you keep it that way.
With just a touch of a button, kids can send a voice chat to their parents who receive it in seconds. Parents and kids don't need to save important conversations until dinner time.
Okie-talkie is refreshingly simple. It alerts kids to a new voice message that they can respond to when the time is right. Parents send and receive messages through an intuitive app on their smartphones.
- Distraction-free: Kids can respond to voice chats when the time is right because chats are stored on the device. The default message notification is silent. There are no keyboards, Internet, games, or distracting screens —just voice chats and an E-paper display.
- Long Battery Life: One charge lasts a week of normal use.
- Private Network: Only parents and authorized guardians whom parents designate can access the Okie-talkie.
- Attachable: The magnetic clip makes it easy to attach and fun to play with. There is a locking mechanism that ensures that the magnet stays securely attached, making it harder to lose.
- Easy Activation: Buy and activate message plans directly from Okio's App. Works with any cell phone carrier, since Okie-talkie communicates with smartphones through Okio's App.
- LTE for IoT technology: Same coverage as a cell phone. Okie-talkie uses a variant of the LTE network, minimizing cost and increasing battery life.
The Okie-talkie has a magnetic clip that makes it easy to attach, so it won’t get lost. When the knob turns, it locks the magnet and, it can't be detached until it's unlocked.
Okie-talkie works anywhere in the U.S. with cell phone coverage. The Okio App also works internationally. Parents can be in a different country and send messages to their kids, who can receive messages and respond from anywhere in the U.S.
- Push and hold the side button to record a message.
- Release the button to send.
When a message is received:
- The ring in the center lights up.
- The display shows one dot for every new message.
- The default notification is silent, but parents can send an audible notification if needed.
- Push the play button.
- Put the Okie-talkie close to your ear, as you would with a phone.
As the play button is pushed, messages will be played starting with the newest one. When all new messages have been listened to, dots disappear. The last message can be replayed indefinitely.
Kids can see on their display when parents have listened to their messages.
The Okio App is intuitive and easy to use. Send/receive voice chats to/from one or many Okie-talkies. Upload a picture of every child to identify his/her chat stream. Swipe across to switch between children.
- Each kid with an Okie-talkie has a separate communication stream on the Okio App.
- The child's main guardian grants access to other parents/guardians, limiting access to only authorized users.
- Voice messages sent from a child go to all guardians.
- Voice messages from kids can be transcribed into text in the Okio App.
- Save your favorite messages for quick access when you want to listen to them again.
- Receive a notification when kids listen to messages.
- Buy message plans within the Okio App.
- Activate Okie-talkie directly from Okio App.
To activate the Okie-talkie:
1) Download the Okio App, 2) Take a picture of the QR code displayed on the Okie-talkie, 3) Confirm the device to automatically create a private secure network, 4) Invite other guardians to access the Okie-talkie.
Okie-talkie requires a message plan to communicate with the Okio App. Whether you choose Pay-as-you-go or subscription plans, Okie-talkie works anywhere in the US with cell phone reception, expanding its range far beyond a standard walkie-talkie.
Choose between Pay-as-you-go or subscription plans. No matter what mobile carrier you use, the Okie-talkie can send messages to your smartphone because it communicates through the Okio App. You will be able to buy message plans directly from Okio App. When you activate the Okie-talkie, the Okio App will prompt you to choose a message plan.
With Okie-talkie, kids can communicate with their parents anywhere and anytime, in a simple, non-distracting and reliable way.
- Lanyard (strap)
- USB Cable
You can choose the color of your Okie-talkie from several color alternatives before it ships.
We believe kids should spend their time exploring, playing, running, imagining and learning, looking at the world eyes wide open, not heads down on a tiny screen. Yet with our busy lives there is a need to communicate with our kids when apart, but we don't want to give them cell phones. That is why we created the Okie-talkie.
Pia has an MBA from Stanford and is a doer. She loves to makes things happen.
Javier is an engineer and musician. He has masters degrees in Wireless Communications and Embedded Systems.
We are parents who have spent more than two years developing the Okie-talkie. Our journey took us to the Highway1 Accelerator program, where we interviewed hundreds of parents and children to get a sense of how they use technology to stay connected. We've invested our own money, and have raised funds with friends, family, and angel investors. We have a Utility patent pending on our technology. We've field-tested several rounds of prototypes. We’ve assembled a team of engineers, consultants, and industrial designers to join the project once funded. All proceeds from Kickstarter will go certification, manufacturing, and additional software development.
This is a glimpse into our prototyping journey. We started with a "dangerous" prototype that was not suitable for kids, but demonstrated the technology. The form factor evolved from a wristband and clip to a "walkie-talkie".
When deciding the final form factor, we took into consideration many aspects that are important to kids and parents: the look, size, portability, "fun factor", and functionality.
I love Okie-talkie, but I don't need it
Backers are just contributing to the project without expecting anything in return. Thank you!
I believe that kids need Okie-talkies
Backers want to raise awareness about the best alternative to mobile phones for kids. You won't receive anything in return —just the good feeling of supporting a great cause.
Super Early Bird: 1 Okie-talkie
Our earliest backers will receive one Okie-talkie at an incredible price. (We will send a form with color options for you to choose from.)
Early Bird: 1 Okie-talkieOur early backers will receive an Okie-talkie at an incredible price. (We will send a form with color options for you to choose from.)
Kickstarter Price: 1 Okie-talkieOne Okie-talkie at an incredible price. (We will send a form with color options for you to choose from.)
Kickstarter Price: Two Okie-talkies
Buy two Okie-talkies together at an incredible price. (We will send a form with color options for you to choose from.)
Buy three Okie-talkies together at an incredible price. (We will send a form with color options for you to choose from.)
Risks and challenges
Running a startup involves overcoming constant challenges. We believe that prioritizing our efforts will enable us to conquer obstacles and mitigate the risk of not delivering the product or delivering late. We will be focusing on 4 main areas to ensure the delivery of the Okie-talkie.
1- Technology- Our prototype already offers the main features of the version we plan to bring to market. It works well, having required multiple iterations of product development. Now, we’re channeling our energies into making improvements to what already works. The final product will only require one mechanical engineering iteration and additional software development.
2- Manufacturing- We will partner with experts who have manufactured products of equal or greater complexity. Our industrial designers bring a wealth of experience that has enabled us to manufacture a product both beautiful and practical.
3- Certification- We’re collaborating with a certification consultant, who oversees Okie-talkie stays on schedule and manages costs as accurately as possible. To reduce the overall cost and time to certification, each Okie-talkie comes installed with a pre-certified modem.
4- Delivery- We will be closely following the manufacturing process to ensure that we detect any problems that may arise and resolve them as needed. We are committed to open and honest communication with you, which will come in the form of frequent updates.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)