About this project
As featured in
Stretch Goal 1: $30k - COMPLETED!
Everyone who receives an award that includes a Hydra will be able to choose between a black, red, or blue anodized enclosure.
Stretch Goal 2: $60k - COMPLETED
Each Hydra will ship with a free installation kit including a phillips-head screwdriver for the screw terminals, specialized mounting brackets and hardware, a mini-USB cable, and three sets of alligator clips for the outputs.
Stretch Goal 3 - $100k
Anyone who pledged enough to receive the Bluetooth Expansion Board will be able to choose to receive the forthcoming WiFi Expansion Board instead. The WiFi expansion will allow the Hydra to be controlled from a computer through a WiFi wireless network. If enough time remains after we reach our third stretch goal, we'll add a new reward to include both expansion boards (old pledges can be upgraded).
With its palm-sized aluminum case, the Hydra provides all the flexibility of a bench-top supply without using up your desk space. And unlike a bench-top supply, you can use it anywhere: its small size and flexibility make it a perfect power solution, whether for a mobile robot or an industrial system.
You can control the Hydra using your computer, an Arduino or other microcontroller, or even your smart phone (if it supports Bluetooth 4.0). Using any input voltage between 5V and 14V, each of the three outputs can be set to anything between 3.0V and 12.0V via USB, Bluetooth 4.0, or serial.
The Hydra is packed with features, including reverse polarity protection, ESD and surge protection on all inputs and outputs, over-current protection, automatic thermal shutdown, and user-adjustable output current limits. When combined with the included PC software, the Hydra can function as a battery charger for lithium, NiMH, NiCD, and lead-acid batteries. And with 2.5A continuous current capability per output, the Hydra is equipped to meet virtually all project needs, including powering servos, cameras, wireless transmitters, and control electronics. This is the last power supply or battery charger you will ever need to own.
Features of the Hydra
- One input, three independent outputs
- Control via USB, serial, or Bluetooth (iPhone or Android devices)
- Adjustable output current limit
- Current control mode allows the Hydra to act as a current source (drives high power LEDs, etc.)
- Charges batteries using the included PC software and a USB connection
- CNC-machined, anodized aluminum enclosure
- Output short circuit protection
- Thermal shutdown
- ESD and surge protection on all inputs and outputs
- Reverse polarity protection on voltage input
- Accepts input voltages from 5.0V to 14.0V
- Output voltages individually configurable from 3.0V to 12.0V
- Output voltage resolution: 0.01 volts
- Max continuous current per output: 2.5A at 5V (~12 watts available per output at any voltage level)
- Output voltage ripple: < 10mV peak-peak at 100mA, < 50mV peak-peak at 2.5A
- Buck-boost topology allows the input to be above, below, or equal to the outputs
- Bluetooth expansion board supports Blueooth 4.0 ONLY
Status of Design
What you see in the pictures and the video is a completely functioning Hydra prototype. With a functioning design, we are now gearing up for manufacturing. We've already lined up manufacturing partners, but to make the Hydra affordable, we have to bring the costs down by manufacturing a lot of them at once. And that's where you can help make this project a reality! Our funding goal represents the minimum amount we need to produce the first batch of Hydras.
If we are able to meet our funding goals, we will begin manufacturing and shipping Hydra supplies starting in April.
We are still putting the finishing touches on the phone software, and the Bluetooth expansion board is being finalized, but the Hydra itself is ready to go!
Risks and challenges
The biggest risk at this point is being able to meet demand - if the demand is extremely high, it may at first take a little longer to fill orders than we would like. We have plans to expand production if needed to accommodate higher order volumes.
At CH Robotics, we are already in the business of manufacturing devices like the Hydra, and we have years of experience in design and manufacturing that will help us produce the Hydra in high volumes.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)