About this project
Last-Second Stretch Goals!
We have last-second stretch goals! Think we can hit them before the campaign ends? Let's find out!
- $1,600 - Backers' Choice of Story: Either "Astride the Candy Cane Lake" or "The Masquerade at the End of the World!" (Included in hardcover and PDF.)
- $1,650 - Both Stories in the hardcover and PDF!
Want to learn more about these stories or vote? Click here!
Ever wondered where the deep puddles go?
What if a bunch of ghosts you were playing baseball with told you your parents had been eaten by a demon? What if the troll in your basement could travel through shadows? What if the talking salmon who lived in a puddle in your backyard was from another dimension? What if, to save your family and your world, you had to plunge feet-first into the puddles between the realities?
Welcome to The Fish in Jonah's Puddle (To Say Nothing of the Demon), a quirky new novel from the mind of Byron Leavitt. (That's me!) Where will the puddles take us? Let's find out together!
Want to know more about The Fish in Jonah's Puddle? Then start right here with the first few chapters of the book! You can watch the videos, or click the links below the videos to read the chapters yourself. Let's get going! There are a lot of dimensions to visit and weird things to see!
The Fish in Jonah's Puddle Prologue
You can read the prologue for yourself right here.
The Fish in Jonah's Puddle Chapter One
You can read chapter one for yourself right here.
The Fish in Jonah's Puddle Chapter Two
You can read chapter two for yourself right here.
The Fish in Jonah's Puddle Chapter Three
You can read chapter three for yourself right here.
About the Book
The Fish in Jonah's Puddle tells the story of the talking salmon, Stuart, and his friend, Jonah - a young man who possesses a wildly overactive imagination. At least, that's what his parents firmly believe. But what if they're wrong? What if there really is a troll living in the basement, a harpy prowling in the trees, and ghost kids playing baseball down the street? What if the new puddles in the back yard really do lead to other dimensions? And what if there really is a demon with a taste for parents lurking in the largest puddle?
Unfortunately, Jonah's mother and father do not adhere to their son's warnings, and are soon slurped up like adult-shaped anchovies. But Jonah's not going to let his parents slide down without a fight. Rallying his friends Humphrey the bow tie-wielding troll, Calisto the cantankerous harpy, and Stuart (now outfitted with a state-of-the-art wagon-mounted aquarium,) he sets out on an adventure across the dimensions to get his parents back.
Join me on this adventure!
I have finished the first nine chapters of the book and have begun work on the tenth. I have a good outline in place for the remaining part of the book, and I know exactly how it ends. (Though there will still be plenty of room for surprises along the way!) Now I'm trying to free up the time to finish the book and bring a gorgeous final version to both print and eBook formats. That's where I need your help.
Your support will enable me to finish the book and produce the best possible final product that I can. Along the way I'll be asking for your input, too, making this a collaborative project. I'm going to have a blast doing this, and I'm betting you will as well.
I'm asking you to partner with me in making this book a reality. But what will you get out of it? More than my severe kudos and a crispy high five, I assure you! Let's take a look at some of the available rewards:
(The Make/100 hardcover includes the eBook as well.)
You can learn more about some of what's planned for the exclusive content right here.
Would you like extra copies of any of these editions? Not a problem! Just add the additional amount for an extra book (or books) in the format you'd prefer to your pledge and I'll be sure you get what you need! (Including the limited edition hardcover. ;)
In addition to your pledge, you can also add on these great items! Whether another version of The Fish in Jonah's Puddle or a previous book I've written, there's some good stuff to be had here. Wondering how to add on a product to your pledge? Check out the steps here!
Wondering what's coming up for Jonah during the campaign? Here are a couple of stretch goals that are heading our way!
You can learn more about the current stretch goals here.
A Bit About Me
In case you haven't guessed yet, my name's Byron Leavitt. I'm a creator who lives in a centennial Swiss-style house in Washington State with my wife, Sarah, my two daughters Aurora and Eden, and my butler, Egad. We are also joined by Brain (our life-sized Gremlin), a gargoyle baby, carnivorous plants, moon jellyfish, 1.5 outdoor cats, a possum (also outdoor,) and a large-as-life face hugger.
I'm currently serving as the main content writer for the game Deep Madness by Diemension Games (an absolutely incredible game that you can check out right here on Kickstarter at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/diemensiongames/deep-madness - I wrote all of the updates that contain stories.) I've also self-published a number of books previously, with my most recent being "Of Hope and Cancer: One Man's Story of God, Darkness and Wonder." (You can find that one at Amazon at http://amzn.to/2jIa1Bu.) I am a Christian, and, thanks to a bone marrow transplant a couple years back, I also have the immune system of a two-year-old. I survived stage four and recurring Hodgkin's Lymphoma, a miraculous journey you can read about on my site "Life Springs" at http://lifespringseternal.com, as well as in the aforementioned "Of Hope and Cancer". I live to cultivate wonder and share it with everyone I can. I hope that will include you.
Thank you again for considering this project! I hope we will get to join Jonah and Stuart on this adventure together!
(SHOUT OUT: Many thanks to Chris Leavitt of Chris Leavitt Photography for his assistance in shooting this project's video! You can check him out at http://www.chrisleavitt.com today! He's a great photographer, and a pretty great father/grandfather as well!)
Risks and challenges
There are a number of challenges that can arise from any project, and this one is no exception. Here are some challenges that I could foresee:
1. Writer's Block. "The Fish in Jonah's Puddle" is not completely finished yet: as of this writing I've done the first nine chapters. That's one of the reasons I'm Kickstarting it: to free up some time to finish writing it. As such, I've been writing long enough to know this could be a real issue. However, I have a very good idea of where the story is going and a number of materials to help me get there (it is based off of a short story I wrote previously.) I have never had as much clarity on a story's finale as I do on this one. As such, I am not nearly as worried about this as I would be on other projects.
2. Creation of the Book Itself. Could this be an issue? Of course it could be. However, I have created a number of books already with various editions in various formats, so I am very familiar with the book creation process. I use industry standard software (the Adobe suite) for maximum compatibility with various printers, and I have never before had to farm out a project to get it done. As such, I am confident I can create all of the assets necessary to bring this book to completion.
3. Printing and Shipping. I have lumped these together because they are the two potential problems that are slightly more outside of my control. However, I will say that I have used the printer before that will be creating the books, and that I have been pleased with the quality. This book will be less graphically intensive internally than my previous projects as well, so the opportunities for major QC issues will be minimized. Having said that, because these are more-so out of my control they are the two that I will be watching intensely when we get to that phase.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (40 days)