This project's funding goal was not reached on November 4, 2012.
About this project
Comics that "talk and see" - from existing videos
The idea is that we all love comics. We all love video too. But there is so much video. And the only way - we have to see the video and maybe fast forward it and finally decide that it may have been worth it or not really. If its the latter - repeat the process. If its the former, you may just need to re - look at the video with more interest now.
And here is another thing - how do we "use" video today - fast forward OR rewind - with no clue where in the video we really want to go until we hit the right spot. One second - isn't this the same way since the time of the VCR - and when or how long ago was that!? So - this comification of the video will help you to jump to the point you want in an informed manner. Whats this mean - you read a comic to watch a video?!
Also we send around videos to our friends and family. And there is a lot we get from various sources - Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, Vimeo, Email! How do we go through each of those (through maybe 5 minutes) of each of them and decide if we even want to see them or not
Now have you EVER printed a video? Comicification of the video - means you can carry your video around with you - if not in digital form BUT even in paper form!
And would it be not a lot of fun to send these videos in a format that the "receiver" would be able to get to immediately and adds that element of fun:)
Thats where - VIDOMIC - Video comics - comes in. We have built what we consider a totally new form of content mish-mashing Video and comics to solve all of the above and more. So now you have an almost unlimited supply of comics and you can still see the video when you like the comic!
What have we done so far:
So - we have the initial prototype done as you can see in the demo video. The plan is to build it as above i.e. as a HTML5 web app. The technology works and is able to deliver the comics automatically. Besides there are many an app in the various app stores that already do the comic-ify effect. We go above and beyond that i.e. we summarize the video using our proprietary algorithms(that means the comic you see is not just a dump of each and every frame in the video) and apply relevant comic-ifying effects and synchronize the audio and video to each of these comic images - so you can flip between each without missing a thing!
There are two work flows possible:
1. Content creator
Loads up their video by providing a link to their video. Using Youtube, Vimeo, etc. will not really work since they dont allow downloads of the video(anymore!). So something from Box, Dropbox, S3, etc. If they have a subtitles file for the video they can attach that too. Thats it. They submit the job and we do our magic for everyone to view shortly
2. Content viewer
Thats the real fun now! All comics will be available for the viewer to view and enjoy. Currently its all comics for everyone. Depending on how much we can raise we can build in channels and private comic groups. We intend to offer subscriptions and pay-per-comic based on the content creator's requirements - so those hardworking artists producing those videos can actually make some money!.
LIMITATIONS: The auto-generated comicification process we do, can NEVER compare to the painstaking hand drawn/painted work by comic artists. Also, the initial version will be restricted to 5 minutes of video(based on how much we can raise from Kickstarter we may increase that limit). Also no copyrighted/DRM protected content(we intend to negotiate content licensing with the studios etc. much later). Also no point of submitting video content from any of the other online video aggregators such as Youtube, Dailymotion, Vimeo etc - since they dont allow the video to be downloaded or processed.
We are looking to Kickstarter's support so we can achieve the following:
- We need to make it into a product now and make the "comic machine" spitting out comics continuously and consistently and zippy!.
- We need to make a really good user interface - what you can see from the demo video is really raw as a proof of concept - we need a comic book feel
- We need to add security and payment handling
- We need to make a downloadable comic method
- We need to support other browsers and optimize it for other platforms i.e. mobile
- Based on how much we can raise through Kickstarter we can support other video services and also add PRO versions where content creators can modify the auto-generated comic to better suit their video
- Additionally this will pay for the hefty hosting and streaming costs(imagine - we will stream - audio, video, text, images(the comics) - all in in a synchronized manner!)
So with Kickstarter's help we want to get a few software and UI designers to help in finishing all this off and thus getting it in front of everyone - so we all get that good laugh (and saves us the nuisance)!
Please be aware that during the BETA phase all content is FREE! The use of the rewards is relevant when come out of the BETA phase. The BETA phase is expected to last for upto a period of 3 months
Risks and challenges
Fundamentally risks are similar to any new concept as follows:
- As may be evident - we are still developing the project and what you see above is a prototype and as any project that needs to go from development to a product there are risks related to timing and effectiveness and user interface design - though I believe this should all happen smoothly - there is that element which everyone should be aware of.
- Getting enough users to buy the comics/subscriptions
- Getting enough content(videos) being uploaded for comicification and of sufficiently broad and good quality
- The generated comics are of good enough quality for users needs
- The performance of the service is good enough i.e. would we be able to serve out this new comic format in a scaleable and consistent and fast manner
- Any patent issues such as infringing on someone's patent/copyright? From our understanding that is well covered now by us - but we have not engaged any lawyer yet to look in to this.
- Ensuring we do not take any copyright protected video submitted by any user(not as part of the scope of this project - but we do intend to work with studios etc. as mentioned above in sourcing their content for comification - but thats a future version and a different project)
I am currently the dreamer of this crazy project. I have over 15 years of experience working with many large and small companies including Qualcomm, Lucent, Teradata, Moviebeam in various areas of technology including telecommunications, mobile, consumer electronics, audio/video - and am a avid comic buff - thats where this idea came from - I wanted more comics and did not have the patience to go through videos.
I have the plans for all the above in place and identified when/where/how all this can be done. And did I mention I am full time on this and I myself will be working this out - well - so far I have done all this myself and intend to continue that to see that it comes out the way I want and dreamt:)Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
- (30 days)