Your money will bring our Henchmen to life.
Henchmen is a game in which characters get to explore the trials and tribulations of being little cogs in the grand machine of an evil organisation. While many games focus on gaining power and overcoming foes, this game takes a slightly different approach.
You can play the game any way you want to, but we envisage Henchmen being played in two ways, the 'day in the life' tribulations of an expendable goon squad, or as a long 'Villains Journey' campaign. For the latter, we have outlined a 'development arc' of significant milestones, linked to each character's personal journey from nobody to nightmare.
Unlike more 'heroic' games, Henchmen is not predicated on PCs succeeding on their various errands and missions. Success might be achieved of course, but often failure, disaster and doom must be coped with, blame must be deflected and whatever credit is left must be seized.
The Evil Organisation is a unique Fate Fractal for Henchmen, with its own aspects, skills, Fate points and perks. You might even think of the PCs as its stress boxes, since it will expend them to protect itself from consequences.
This book contains:
- How to create an evil organisation. There is discussion on the types and themes as well as rules for interacting with The Organisation and details of its skills and perks.
- How to create a henchman, including full character creation with new stunts.
- Creating a city. There are suggestions and steps to give your world a nice full feeling.
- Advice on running a game, including the Villain's Journey. This includes tips on how to handle challenges and arcs to take characters through to help them advance and grow towards their own goals.
- Rules for dangerous 'enhancements' given to Henchmen by their organisation. These cover rules for how to handle gear, both created and given, as well as various different superpower types.
- Blackstone City, an example city for a Henchmen campaign with evil organisations, locations, heroes & plot hooks.
What The Money Will Be Used For
We were able to afford the two coloured pieces shown in the video, drawn by the talented Erik Korsgaard. One piece, the 'Battle at the Base' is intended for the cover, the second 'The Usual Suspects' is used at the start of character generation and used in pieces to enrich our sidebars and advertising. However, we want to commission three more 'splash pieces' to head chapters or to enrich the text, as well as some additional character pieces of NPCs.
- Currently, we have completed the majority of the text of the book and two chapters are even most of the way through the layout process. A third chapter is currently being proofread prior to being laid out. The fourth chapter and the appendix are waiting for the completion of the Kickstarter for their final write up, to see if stretch goals or pledge levels add additional material.
The Final Product
We are currently planning on producing an A5 (European size) scale PDF and an A5 softcover rule book to be printed and delivered to backers via DrivethruRPG. A5 was chosen for a number of design reasons, but we will look to producing a 6"x9" 'American Scale version if there is demand.
As backers, you will be able to help us make the best product we can by having the chance to feedback on the initial PDF before we go to print on the final product.
In the final product, we will be including a list of all backers that have helped to make this game possible, as a thank you for backing us.
- 20+ Backers at Physical Henchmen or higher - UNLOCKED! Our graphics designer will adjust the files to allow 6" x 9" 'American size printing, which will allow the option of hardcover and higher quality paper to be purchased via Backerkit.
- £750 Additional Stunts - UNLOCKED! Additional stunts will be added to the book! Another 1 for every skill.
- £800 Additional Perks - UNLOCKED! Perks are abilities and resources granted by evil organisations to their members. Currently, there are 7 potential perks listed in the book We will add 7 more.
- £900 Additional Art - UNLOCKED! We will commission an additional art splash piece.Currently, its 1 per chapter, if we reach this level we can afford one for the appendix as well.
- £1000 Additional Heroes - UNLOCKED! Currently our setting section contains notes on one example NPC hero team the 'Freedom Alliance' all set to ruin a Henchman's day. If we reach £1000, we will add a different group of cowl wearing do-gooders to ruin the day in new and exciting ways.
- £1100 Additional Stunts - UNLOCKED! Additional stunts will be added to the book, bringing the total new "non-super" stunts up to 57.
- £1200 Expanded "Guns Gadgets and Dangerous Toys" - UNLOCKED! We will take our section on the Fate extras to a full chapter, with more details on 'mundane' spy and espionage gear being added to the superpowers already there.
- £1300 Mission Maps - UNLOCKED! We will commission three maps to be added to the setting notes, giving details of locations your henchmen may be sent. These will be a secure hi-tech lab, a casino resort and a secure prison facility.
- £1350 EPUB File - UNLOCKED! We will produce an EPUB file of Henchmen, in addition to the PDF. This will be given to all backers through DriveThru in addition to the PDF version.
- £1400 Deluxe Colour Paper - UNLOCKED! All printed copies of the book, both soft and hardback, will be printed on deluxe colour paper. This will give a much nicer finish on the product and add no cost to pledges or hardback upgrades.
- You will need to pay shipping via Backerkit after the campaign has finished and prior to us shipping the physical book.
- You will need a DrivethruRPG account to receive your PDF. If you don't have one yet, they are free, easy to get and will give you access to a lot of very nice RPGs.
- You will need access to the Fate Core rules to use this product. Fate Core rules are available from numerous sources including their original creator and publisher Evil Hat LLC, with whom we are not affiliated (but to whom we are grateful).
Our postage is being done through DrivethruRPG and money for it will be collected via Backerkit shortly before we begin fulfilment. It is possible that shipping costs will vary between now and then, though as a rough guide as to what to expect there is a list here. We will be producing Softbound Books of between 64 and 256 pages, as the price you need to look up for your country. Please note, all the prices on the shipping page are in dollars.
Who We Are
Canterbury Games Studio is a new company. It has been formed to produce tabletop games of all sorts and this is our first. To find out more about us you can visit our website, join us on Facebook or follow us on twitter @CanterburyGames.
If you have any questions please send us a message here or on email@example.com
Risks and challenges
It is our first game: Obviously, the first game produced by a new company is always a challenge for the producer and a risk for a consumer.
We are committed. We want to make Canterbury Games Studio Limited a success and a platform for future projects, so the whole team is fully incentivised to make this work.
The majority of the game has been written. We will not be creating from scratch upon receipt of the money.
We have the services of an expert in digital publishing to ensure we can create print-worthy, well laid out files.
We are using DriveThruRPG to print and ship for us which means the physical side of shipping is being handled by experts.
We are a team. With three people actively involved in the company, there is a backup if one of us should become ill or similar to keep the project rolling forward.
Volatile shipping costs may occur. To cope with this payment for shipping will be collected shortly before we ship. This will ensure that we won't be caught short and unable to deliver the product if prices change.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (29 days)