SHAM is the story of a man who does the right thing, only to have that turn him into something he never wanted to be: a hero.
SHAM is the story of a man who does the right thing, only to have that turn him into something he never wanted to be: a hero. Read more
SHAM is a project nearly 20 years in the making. The idea was first conceived in 1996 and was much different in the beginning. Originally, it was intended to be a very cartoony, over-the-top superhero story. Over the years, the idea evolved into the story of a man who, through a series of circumstances, becomes a reluctant hero.
So many comics today are dark and brooding and it seems that this is what dominates the market. I wanted to do something that was against the grain. SHAM is meant to be tongue-in-cheek, light-hearted fun. While some of the subject matter is heavy, it is often balanced with moments of levity.
SHAM was created and written by Mike Ficklin.
The artwork for SHAM is being done by the wonderfully talented Emmis Touron.
We are offering two different versions of the book. The standard version will be a soft cover trade paper back style book. The cover art will be done by Emmis Touron. We also are offering a limited run Kickstarter exclusive hardcover version of the book and, if we reach full funding, the cover for this version will be done by the outstanding Eamon O'Donoghue. An example of his work can be seen below:
You can see more of his work at his website: Eamon O'Donoghue Illustration & Design.
The book will have full color covers and black and white interiors. It will contain the first 2 issues of the SHAM series plus an exclusive 10-page backstory! This will give you a total of 54 pages of content! The total amount of pages in the book has not yet been set due to not knowing how many pages will be needed for the thank you's. So, total page count will be set after we reach full funding on the project.
If this project is successful enough, we would ideally like to move forward in a monthly standard comic book size format. So, this book we are offering through Kickstarter is really just to get us moving forward by offering the first two individual issues plus a short story in one collected volume.
Making the Dream a Reality
We are asking for your help in making this project a reality. The funds you pledge will go towards several things dealing with the business of making this comic come to life, including (but not limited to):
- Funds will go to paying the artists for their work on the comic
- Funds will go to paying for printing and shipping costs
- Funds will go to paying for the creation of the stickers, t-shirts, and mini-posters
In the event that we would go into some stretch goals, we would use some of the funds for things like:
- Paying for our ability to go to comic conventions to help promote the book
- Reinvesting into the creation of further books in the series
What's In It For You
Here are just some of the items that we have to offer when you pledge:
Kickstarter Exclusive SHAM logo t-shirt (Tier 7):
Kickstarter Exclusive Art Cards (Tier 6):
A NOTE ABOUT SHIPPING: Shipping charges will be calculated and assessed in a separate charge after the completion of the Kickstarter campaign.
Also, we are proudly being powered by Backerkit!
Check out our video and take a look at our reward tiers for more information on what is in it for you! If you have questions, please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Risks and challenges
We certainly know and understand that there is a human element to making SHAM come to life. As such, I could foresee a few possible issues that could arise:
1. The artwork for the book isn't completed on time. If this happens, we will make sure that every backer is notified via email. We certainly don't think this will end up being an issue but there is always the possibility of circumstances arising that are outside of our control or unforeseen.
2. The printed proofs come back and there are problems. We hope that this would not happen but there is always a possibility that it could. If this occurs, then we will work with our printer diligently to correct any issues and we will notify each backer via email that there was a delay and explain what we are doing to to fix it.
3. Shipment delays. There's a few things that could cause this. There could be an issue with shipping from our printer. There could be time and manpower issues with getting the books mailed out to our backers. We wish to be as timely as possible and we wish to be as transparent as we can. If any kind of shipment issues arise, our backers will be notified via email and we will provide as much information as we can.
4. Quality issues upon receipt by the backers. We will do our best to quality check the products before we ship them out to our backers. We will try to package them as safely as we can. However, if there are issues with the products upon arrival, we will be happy to work with the customer to rectify those issues.
5. International shipping costs. We apologize in advance for the high cost of international shipping to our friends in Canada and the EU. International shipping is extremely high. Not to mention the cost of taxes and duties. Unfortunately, this is something that is largely out of our control.
The bottom line is that communication and transparency with our backers is key and a top priority. When and if issues do arise, we will do our best to communicate these issues and resolve them as quickly as possible.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)