David Kadavy, author of "Design for Hackers: Reverse-Engineering Beauty" will travel around the U.S. speaking about design. Read more
This project was successfully funded on September 7, 2011.
About this project
Everyone who backs this book tour will get a PDF sneak preview sample chapter of the book – right away – whether the campaign is successful or not!
(Instructions on getting your sample chapter are here and at the bottom)
What I’m doing
In the course of writing my book, Design for Hackers: Reverse-Engineering Beauty, I've had the opportunity to speak at different events (such as SXSW, & Ignite Chicago), and have met many people along the way. While I feel like my book teaches just about everything I know about design, there is no substitute for talking with people in person, answering their questions, and helping them learn design. So, I want to travel around the US, speaking to groups of tech entrepreneurs and anyone else interested in learning about design.
Why Kickstarter, and what am I doing with the money?
These days, a technology book author can sell way more books just sitting at home and blogging. While this makes it easier for publishers to publish great books, it makes the old-fashioned book tour less viable. I want to come talk to you, and I'm hoping you want me to come talk as well – so I'm asking for your help.
Clearly, if I'm sleeping on couches from time to time, I can come to most cities for less than $750, but there are plenty of expenses that go along with this campaign: namely the books themselves. I'm giving away books at the cover price, so a significant portion of your donation in that case (nearly 75%) is going towards covering the cost of the book, shipping itself, and transaction fees.
So, the money is covering the travel expenses such as airfare and the occasional lodging, but I'm planning on footing the bill for meals myself. I was already planning on eating anyway :)
How does this campaign work?
Basically, if you want me to go on a book tour – I'll be going on a book tour. I've grouped the top 5 cities my email subscribers are in into the main tour. If I reach my funding goal, I will go to those cities (see the graphic above).
But, I don't want to assume that those are the only cities there are people who want me to visit. So, with each additional $750 above my funding goal, I'll add a new city to the tour. I have 4 cities lined up for these "bonus cities." If I keep raising funds, I'll keep adding cities based upon your suggestions. Or, you can just have me come straight to your city if you give $2,000.
What’s this book about?
Design for Hackers: Reverse-Engineering Beauty is a book that teaches the principles of beautiful design. The book takes a "reverse-engineering" approach to break down the thought process behind great design. The book is based upon a few of my hit blog posts, so here's a sampling of the type of writing to expect in the book:
How to get your sample chapter
Once you've backed the campaign (thanks!) you can redeem your sample chapter immediately. Here's how:
1. Click on the "Updates" tab of the Kickstarter campaign
2. You'll see an update titled "get your sample chapter" click on the link in that update
3. Enter your email address. This will send you an email with a link to the sample chapter. It will also subscribe you to my email list (unless you are already subscribed), so if you'd rather not be subscribed, there is an unsubscribe link on the bottom of this email. I'm using DigiOh to limit the number of downloads per person, at the request of my publisher.
4. Click on the link in the email from DigiOh This will begin the download of the sample chapter. Be sure to check your browser's default download folder!
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
Pledge $1 or more
Sneak preview sample chapter PDFEstimated delivery:
Pledge $20 or more
• Postcard from the road • Sample chapterEstimated delivery:
Pledge $40 or more
• A copy of the book (cover price $39.99) • Sample chapter // Canada add $5 for shipping. International add $15 // At this level, you can buy the book at the cover price, while supporting the book tour!Estimated delivery:
Pledge $60 or more
• A signed copy of the book • Sample chapter // Canada add $5 for shipping. International add $15Estimated delivery:
Pledge $150 or more
• 2-minute, publicly posted design critique • A signed copy of the book • Sample chapter
// Canada add $5 for shipping. International add $15
// At this level, you get valuable feedback, and the community learns from the critique. For *one-on-one* feedback, give at the next level.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $300 or more
• 30-minute, 1-on-1 Skype consultation • A signed copy of the book • Sample chapter // Canada add $5 for shipping. International add $15Estimated delivery:
Pledge $2,000 or more
• I'll come to your city (anywhere in the continental US) • A signed copy of the book • Sample PDFEstimated delivery:
- (21 days)