Development Update #10
Hey folks! Hope you're doing well :)
A lot has changed for me over the past month, and most if not all of it is a positive change in terms of developing the game. I left my part time job to allow me to devote all of my time to working this project, I bought some new software to let me do some cool stuff I've been wanting to add into the game (I'm being intentionally vague here because I haven't yet been successful, but I'm still trying), I got a midi keyboard so I no longer have to compose all the music using the piano roll in the DAW I use, and I finally managed to get myself out of a creative block I've been dealing with a couple of months now.
I also have something important to say regarding the project, but I'll leave that till the end--for now, onto the update.
During March, I actually, genuinely, 100%, for certain, finalized the character designs of all the characters who have romance content in the game. I'm at the point where I'm on the verge of completing a lot of the scenes I've been working on, and character art is what I leave for last, so I had to stop tinkering with things and call it a day as far as character design goes.
I thought it might be fun to make a height chart for all of those characters, so here's what that ended up looking like:
In my written descriptions for each character, I included everyone's height, but I didn't realize what I had gotten myself into until I put Kunal next to Faaron in a straight on view
Here's the rest of the finalized physical designs spaced out a bit more.
I'm pretty happy with how all the characters ended up! Now, onto some talk about backgrounds.
Last update, I posted this background:
And this month I took a few hours to make an alternative version if it:
When I was initially writing Eldet, I actually wanted to make an RPG-maker sort of game, with day night cycles and different events associated with the areas depending on the time of day. In the end, obviously I didn't stick with the RPG maker plan, but I'm still including different times of day being tied to different events in the visual novel. That means making a lot of alternate lighting conditions for certain scenes. Sometimes its pretty challenging, but I think it makes the world feel more real to see the same scene in different ways.
In March, I also focused a lot on developing the architectural identity of Karnata, the main city you'll be moving around in the game.
I wanted to depict a medieval setting that wasn't strictly castles because, well, drawing individual bricks is tedious, but mostly I don't see the point in playing through settings which people feel like they've already seen countless times. I don't always accomplish that uniqueness, but it's something I'm striving towards.
I'm also advancing to some of the more challenging settings I described in writing months and months ago, and a lot of them are proving to be more difficult to draw than I thought they'd be. I gotta say though, it's been fun to stretch what I'm used to drawing, and it's helped break the creative block I've had for a while now.
I also started working on the music that's going to play along with the last background I posted. It's very very early on in the composition process, and it's only a small segment of the whole piece, but I'm beginning to get the vibe that I want this place to have. ( audio artifacts are due to kickstarter's audio compression on upload)
Last, I mentioned at the start of the update that I had something important to talk about, and you probably wont like to hear it, but I like to be open about how the development of the game is going.
This is the first game I've ever tried to make, and I really did try to accurately forecast how long it would take me to make the full game based on how long it took me to make the demo, but I think development on this game might end up taking longer than September to complete. I'm not super behind where I hoped to be by this point, but going from asset creation to music composition to programming to tweaking and polishing each scene and making little dialog edits and sending things off to my beta testers and getting their feedback and making more changes, it's A LOT of stuff to do, and I don't want to release anything that doesn't live up to the standards I set for my own work. That said, no longer working my part time job will allow me to work even more to try to get it out to you as soon as I'm able to.
So I can't say concretely when I believe the game will be done, it could be a few months after when I said it would be, but I no longer believe the game will be done and ready to be sent to you all by September, and I am sorry about that. Several people have suggested to me I begin to release the game in chunks, but I've talked about this here on kickstarter and on tumblr, the design of the game does not lend itself to being released incrementally, it simply won't work the way I want it to. However, I'm going to continue to post updates and keep you all informed about how things are going as I have been. I hope you understand!
Until next time, take care. :)