About this project
Chasing Light - A Series of Landscape Paintings
" I would like to paint the way a bird sings" - Claude Monet
This project stemmed from a project I completed last year where I did 30 Sunrise paintings in 30 days. This year I wanted to do another landscape project since I learned and grew so much from the one last year and it touched so many hearts.
This spring, I started pondering what it would be like to paint the same scene or subject every time the light made a major change. I was inspired when reading about Monet taking his stacks of canvases out and starting a new canvas every hour or so for his haystack paintings.
Great News! I have completed a few scenes this last week. Only 7 more to go! I am struck by how much I have already learned and how much more I notice and appreciate the subtle changes that happen in the colors and values.
I am intrigued by the sense of intimacy you can build with a particular scene over the course of the day. You just get a sense that everything's going to be alright. The bees are pollenating, the birds chirping an I am painting.
I'm always hoping to capture the essence of each time of day, whether it's the cool of the morning air or the heat of the afternoon. I am also hoping to use some of these studies to create some larger more refined paintings.
It's already been great fun and I'm looking forward to sharing the bulk of the project with you through documenting my experience with photos,videos,etc. I hope you will follow along with me via my facebook page or my blog for the rest of this fun ride!
HERE'S THE BREAKDOWN OF MY PROJECT:
- Project will yield 6 paintings from 10 locations = 60 paintings
- Times of day painted at the scene will be: Sunrise (6-7am), Morning (8-10 am), Noon, Afternoon (3-5pm), Evening(6-8pm), Sunset (8-9pm)
- Most paintings will be sized 6"x8", but each location will include at least one 8"x10".
- I will be looking for a variety of locations. Spots that are beautiful or interesting to me and that I feel have a universal quality. Scenes most likely will include som rural farms, old homes, pastoral fields, ponds and even some cityscapes.
- Locations will face different directions,so you may see a sunrise or sunset painting that doesn't have a sun in it. This is part of staying true to the project.
- Paintings will be completed by June 30th giving time to dry, varnish, professionally photograph(for book and postcards) and frame by August 15th.
- Approximately 40 of the paintings will be exhibited here in Oklahoma City August 29th.
- The only way you can obtain one of the paintings pre-show is to become a $200 backer. Choice of paintings will be given (after gallery selection) and in order of first to last backer.
- All rewards should be shipped out on or before September 1st.
HERE'S THE BREAKDOWN ESTIMATED COSTS:
- SUPPLIES- Panels,paints,brushes,paper towels, sunscreen & bug spray! -$400
- GASOLINE,TOLLS & PARKING- $200
- PRINTING OF REWARDS, BOOKS, SHIPPING -$600
- FRAMES,WIRE,ETC FOR SHOWING AT GALLERY -$1000
- TOTAL ESTIMATED COST: $2200
TOTAL ESTIMATED TIME INVESTED IN THIS PROJECT- 160 HOURS
PAINTING SPOTS COMPLETED SO FAR:
SPOT 1 - "Pastoral Grove"
Painting Spot #2 - "By the Pond in North Pasture"
CHASING LIGHT PROJECT SPOT #3
CHASING LIGHT PROJECT SPOT # 4
CHASING LIGHT PROJECT SPOT # 5
CHASING LIGHT PROJECT SPOT # 6
CHASING LIGHT PROJECT SPOT # 7
Frames & Reward Postcards are here!
The paintings look great in these!
Risks and challenges
1.The challenge in this project is mostly the time of year in which I'm doing it - Summer! This project was set to begin in May. Unfortunately, we have had record rainfalls here in OKC this year making it impossible to get out and paint. So I will be packing on the sunscreen and trying to keep as cool as I can.
2. You only have about 2 hours before the light changes drastically and you cannot keep working. With sunrise and sunset you maybe have 30 minutes at most. This really necessitates firm decisions and exercises your visual memory.
3.The short time in which I have to complete 60 paintings in the next 30 days in between teaching and gallery engagements.
It can be a risk for me to do this project because I am investing valuable time that could be used towards creating paintings with a higher price tag and higher chances of selling.
But I believe firmly that you have to follow your heart and temperament and do what you love. This is an important project to me and I feel I will gain long term benefits from it regardless of it's financial success.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (60 days)