Raza is a radical reimagining of the traditional prayers and mystical poetry recited on Friday night to welcome the Sabbath Bride. Combining the soul-stirring songwriting of Basya Schechter (Pharaoh's Daughter), the spine-tingling rap/poetry of Eden Pearlstein (ePRHYME), and virtuoso instrumental performances, Raza transforms this most beloved of Jewish liturgical rites into a genre-defying work of Sacred Pop-Art. Sampling Psalms, Remixing Rabbis, Renewing Creation — The Bride has arrived...
RAZA was written over 2 summers out on Fire Island, where Basya is the cantor for the Fire Island Synagogue. The material was then workshopped in a series of classes hosted by the Romemu Community on the Upper West Side of Manhattan.
The album is recorded and ready to be offered to YOU!!!
But first we need the support of our fans to take this music out of the studio and into the world.
If we achieve our funding goal we will be using the money for the next phases of production, promotion and distribution, including:
1) Mastering the Album - the last stage of the studio process that puts the sonic stamp of quality on the album.
2) Designing Stunning Album Artwork - This is the "face" of the project, which will reflect its inner essence.
3) Designing Full-Color Booklet - We're crafting a beautiful full-color lyric booklet to help you delve deeper into Darshan's mystical poetry and songwriting process.
4) Manufacturing a Limited Run of 1,000 Hardcopy Albums - This will be a special and beautiful artifact of contemporary Jewish music, art and poetry.
5) Hiring a Publicist to help promote the project to the widest possible audience. This takes press, interviews, song placements, etc.
6) Shooting a Music Video exploring the poetic imagery and aesthetics of Kabbalat Shabbat. We have some very exciting and creative ideas to re-imagine Shabbat for a new generation.
7) Anything Extra will be directly invested into the next Darshan Project, a series of songs based on the teachings and stories of Hasidic Master Rebbe Nachman of Breslov.
Check out the awesome packages and rewards available for your generous contribution.
And THANK YOU in advance from the bottom of our hearts for supporting the next phase of Jewish Renewal and Creativity.
ALBUM PRODUCED, RECORDED, and MIXED BY: Frederik Rubens
FEATURING: Eden Pearlstein (vocals), Basya Schechter (vocals, oud, ukulele, acoustic guitar), Shanir Blumenkranz (bass, oud, guembri, conceptual development), Tamer Pinarbasi (kanun, conceptual development), Aaron Johnston (drums, programming), Mathias Kunzli (percussion), Noah Hoffeld (cello), Jason Lindner (keys), Gabriel Gordon (electric guitar), Jessica Lurie (alto and baritone saxes), Frederick Rubens (keys, programming), Ashley 'Saywut' Moyer (human beatbox), Daniel Freedman (drums), Nonhlanhla Kheswa (vocals), Ellen Walker (vocals), Fire Island Choir (vocals)
KICKSTARTER VIDEO CREDITS
Director: Ken Ross, www.kenross.tv
Editor: Phyllis Famiglietti
"Raza - New Darshan Album ft. Basya Schechter" is being spearheaded by a member of the Charles and Lynn Schusterman Family Foundation network and has been awarded a matching grant. Schusterman is a global organization that seeks to ignite the passion and unleash the power in young people to create positive change for themselves, the Jewish community and the broader world. Learn more about the Foundation here: https://www.schusterman.org/.
Risks and challenges
Of course, there are always a number of unexpected costs that pop up in any creative project and process. So, meeting (or hopefully exceeding) our funding goal will enable us to have a little bit of change set aside for those inevitable rainy days where something ends up costing more than what we had initially budgeted for.
With this in mind, our first priority will be mastering and manufacturing the album. That way, every contributor to this campaign will receive their rewards package no matter what. Following that, we will turn our attention to the rest of the world via press, promotions and multi-media projects including music videos, etc.
We really believe in our process over the last two years, as well as in the product that we have created. We think this album has the power to enhance people's appreciation of the spiritual and aesthetic possibilities of Jewish text and tradition.
We are asking each of you to be an "early adapter" to this new flowering of Jewish culture and consciousness and to help plant these seeds for the next generations to come.
Eden and Basya
- (33 days)