WE MADE IT!!
HUGE thanks to all who have pledged! For those of you who still want to be a part of making this project happen, funds raised in excess of the goal will be used toward publicizing the album release in January. This is something I didn't include in the original budget, but if I want to get these songs out to a lot of people, it's very necessary!
Endless gratitude to you all!!!
Most of the songs that will be on this record were written in an old growth forest in southern Oregon where I holed up for a couple weeks last year. But really, this album has been a very long time in the making. I haven't released a solo album since my first (Wake) in 2005. My creative energy has fueled many other projects in the last seven years while these songs have been waiting for their moment. And now is the time!
Say Hello to the Songs!
Well, assuming you watched the video, you've heard the title track already, but let me introduce you to everybody else:
- Breath and Bone is a song that asks what we've lost as we've given our lives over to our techno-gadgets.
- Mean Mind is about joining the ranks of creative women who have struggled through the ages to carve out a place for their work. It moves back and forth between blues and classical melodies.
- TransMan is a funky, sexy, frustrated song about loving someone who's transgender.
- On Wisconsin was inspired by the massive protests in Madison, Wisconsin in early 2011 in response to the governor's effort to crush public unions. It's a bluegrass tune.
- The Gift is the most recently written song on the record. It's about having a body. Learning to love it, appreciate it, use it.
- Water is Wide uses the melody and chorus from a 17th century English ballad. My version tells the story of a person finding their way to their true gender identity.
- Jess' Song This is a straight up love song, y'all.
- Caleb Meyer is actually a cover of a Gillian Welch tune. This one has called to me for years. As a pacifist, it's pretty intense to sing a song about murder in self-defense. And the cello really lends itself to such material.
- Into the Fire is a prayer in the form of music with tons of vocal harmonies.
Meet the Cast...
...of brilliant people I'll be working with! As always with my compositions, the meat of the songs are made of multiple cello lines and vocals. But this album will feature a lot of drums, some piano, and some electric guitar recorded at Audiowells in Portland, Oregon.
Jason Wells: Producer/Engineer, Audiowells
Jason Wells is a composer of music and sound designer with 15 years of film, TV, and animation credits including Dreamworks, Disney, and Tim Burton. Jason is a wacky jazz/classical/soundtrack enthusiast, actor, trumpet player (Trashcan Joe, March Fourth Marching Band), multi-instrumentalist, and seasoned engineer.
Ji Tanzer: PercussionJi is a sensitive, skilled drummer. I'm pretty thrilled to have his talent, energy and super-smart ideas on my side in this adventure. You can hear some of his work with Blue Cranes, Rebecca Gates and the Consortium, and Swansea.
Ali Ippolito: Piano
I've been collaborating with Ali one way and another for the last ten years. I'll be borrowing her mad piano skills for this record and probably some of her songwriting smarts which she has in great supply. She's played with lots of bands in town, including Nick Jaina and Heroes and Villains, but her best work yet is here: When the Broken Bow.
David Waingarten: Electric Guitar
In addition to being the talented filmmaker who made my music video, David is a brilliant musician and songwriter. We made our first album together (All Day Breathing with our old band Annavox) and I've had the pleasure of recording cello on his solo projects. Check out his amazing work here: http://thisisnowfilm.com/music/
Samantha Kushnick: Cello
Sami and I had a band together called Walking Home. She's a fantastic cellist/singer/songwriter in her own right and she's agreed to lend a little of her unique flavor of playing to my album. I've got a couple solo spots picked out for her...
Aremy Stewart: Visual Artist
Aremy is a wildly talented painter and multi-media artist from Minnesota, currently residing in Scotland. We've been skyping about the original artwork she'll be creating for the album and I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE IT!! Check out the beautiful stuff she makes here: http://aremy.weebly.com
What's getting paid for:
- studio time
- studio musicians
- original artwork
- packaging layout / design
- manufacturing 2000 CDs
- upgrading the website
- printing stickers
- printing posters
I'm working with really pro people who are giving me good deals. This is the third record for which I'm managing the budget, so I've got a pretty good handle on what it takes. If you want to know anything more specific about where the money's going or anything else about the project, send me an email!
- (26 days)