About this project
The 10 chapter travelogue in e-book form with stories from my year and corresponding coffee-table photo book represent the culmination of my year as a Fulbright Fellow in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia. The goal is to SHARE my experiences and firsthand knowledge of "The Land of the Eternal Blue Sky" with YOU!
Through the e-book audiences will learn why:
- Drinking vodka on the job is sometimes vital to success
- It’s okay to cancel class due to spirit possession
- Singing Frank Sinatra is crucial for classroom management
- Barging in unannounced is perfectly fine
- Changing clothes in public is acceptable
- Shamans are sometimes the best doctors
- Although basketball is the most popular sport, the M(ongolian)NBA struggles to survive
- Horse racing, one of the national “manly” sports, is just for children
- High fashion can look like a Halloween costume contest
- And More!
• Currently, I've planned, outlined, and begun drafting the ten-chapter travelogue and have curated a collection of photos, videos, and audio and print journals throughout the year to draw from.
• In the eBook, each chapter will address a different area of Mongolian society and daily life, ranging from transportation to popular sports to religious beliefs.
• In the hardcover photo book, each section will correspond with an e-book chapter, so you can read your e-book and reference the photos to see with your own eyes what I’m describing!
- Want a taste of my writing? See what the book is all about here in a recently published magazine article: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0EVEXNVysM1c0Q0ZFNGc0VhR1ZqVk43MGhxZWxpbllibzlr/edit?usp=sharing (open with Lumin PDF Viewer to see color photos) OR check it out on my website: http://peterswanderings.com/e-Book%20teaser/
- Want to see more photos? Check out a YouTube video with a compilation of my photography here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfiw6jtdCm0 OR a public portfolio with some teaser photos below: https://plus.google.com/photos/115689734373730704919/albums/6026566022796524033
- Want to learn more about my year? Have 15 minutes? Check out a video of my final report here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCzxzE62k2Q
• My STRETCH GOAL of $5,500 will allow me to offer the eBook in PRINT and distribute it on Amazon, Barnes and Nobles, and other websites.
But WAIT! This project is about more than just e-books and photo packages!
• Meet a Mongolian! *(Details for the offer included in the Yak Level pledge)
If you pledge $55 or more you will have the OPTION of being assigned an intermediate-advanced level Mongolian student studying English as a skype buddy through my partner NGO, Alia Mori: www.aliamori.com. Each student, who will be 18 years or older, will be reading the same content as you receive via the e-newsletter, which is planned to be published on Alia Mori’s education-oriented website. You will be able to discuss the article and topics listed and have questions answered firsthand from locals.
Times will be suggested for skype meetings but setting up and maintaining skype contact will be up to you. I will work with my partner organization so that everyone who wants to try this option will get the opportunity, but it may take additional time. (I'm not sure how many people are interested and it will also depend on student enrollment at the NGO.) Consider it a serious commitment if you choose to “accept” the option as Mongolian students will be disappointed if you do not respond.
Learn more about...
• Communication with backers!
If my project is fully funded and launched, I’ll be able to communicate with you via your Kickstarter account where I can send you messages per pledge category and individually. That’s how the “Meet a Mongolian” option will work – if you pledge $55 or more, expect a message from me! I can collect your email addresses this way for the e-newsletter. You will be able to get a hold of me that way as well.
• Estimated delivery times!
As you can see in the rewards section, the estimated delivery times differ depending on the individual product being offered. The e-book itself will be ready in December, but if you pledge towards a package that includes it, I’ll send the physical rewards earlier when possible. I will aim to ship packages including the photo book by mid-November in time for the holidays!
• No International delivery?!
If you are living outside the United States and are interested in receiving the physical rewards materials, please send me a message and I will let you know what the added cost of shipping will be on top of your pledge. Depending on where you live, it may be feasible!
CHECK OUT my recently published work by clicking below!
*The views expressed on this page and in this project are not those of The Fulbright Program, The US Embassy, The US State Department, or any local affiliates but those of the author.
Risks and challenges
After the project is funded and during the time of photo printing and writing, I will be readjusting to living in the United States after a year in a very, very foreign culture. I’ve lived abroad several times already but I'm sure there will be unanticipated difficulties of reentry transitioning from Mongolia. That said, I see this project as a way to process, reflect on, and share my experiences during the initial period of readjustment, a vital process for me personally. There may be potential delays in the printing and shipping of certain materials or in the final publication of the book, but my timeline and budget have allowed for this wiggle room. Additionally, there may be potential issues with the "Meet a Mongolian" option related to student enrollment in our partner NGO's courses. In that event, pledgers will be compensated with another reward of comparable value. I aim to get all materials completed and shipped before the holidays! I will be as transparent as possible with my backers involving any possible delays and will communicate with them via the Kickstarter interface.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (35 days)