You know that feeling you get when you are reading a book, and part of your mind is occupied by the mood of that story even when you are at work, driving, or wherever you are? That is the feeling you get after using FitTrip because it uses an ingenious combination of your iPad (iPhone version coming soon) and a heart rate monitor to create the virtual experience of trips such as riding through France, hiking in Patagonia, or going on an adventure in Utah. The feeling of the terrain and unwinding of the trail linger even after the workout is finished. With FitTrip, part of your mind is always exploring some corner of the planet.
BIKE AROUND COZUMEL OVER LUNCH
Let FitTrip be your passport to fitness. Use a spin bike? Take a short ride along Cozumel’s wild coast line. Up for something longer? Ride the 440-mile Ride the Rockies tour over a couple of months. Are you a runner? How about a trail run along a creek? Hiker? Delicate Arch has an amazing reveal of the arch during the hike’s final moments. These are just a few of the first trips, with more in the works!
EPIC ADVENTURES - ONE DAY AT A TIME
You can’t ride the Alps in a half hour, and there is no substitute for experiencing majesty of them from top to bottom … and back up again. FitTrip is the only app that allows you to explore staged trips as if you are there in person. The trips are broken down into smaller sections and pick up where you’ve left off, so you can take on even the biggest adventure at the pace that feels right for you. We offer a range of distances in our trips from less than 30-minutes to tours that span several hundred miles. With FitTrip each day brings the discovery of a new place as you move along a greater journey.
- Tour of France: Cycle across the regions of France from the coast of Brittany, to the Pyrenees, Vineyards, Alps and more. Yes, you will be on courses traversed in the famous Tour de France including Galibier, Alpe d’ Huez, Passage du Gois, Tourmalet and others.
- Utah Adventure Series: Mountain Bike the famous Slickrock Trail in Moab, hike in Arches National Monument, Paddle Lake Powell, cycle through Zion National Park, and other adventures.
- Ride the Rockies: Join 2,000 people in a cycling tour of Colorado. Ride 440-miles through towns like Aspen, Gunnison, and Leadville. Experience the famous Independence Pass. Ride through Rocky Mountain National Park over Trail Ridge Road. With 36 legs this series alone can be your entire preseason conditioning.
- Leon’s World’s Fastest Triathlon: Do the full Olympic distance triathlon from this nationally broadcast event. The swim, bike, and run are here.
- More. Check back in as our funding progresses. We will unfold some truly amazing courses!
GREAT STATS AUTOMATICALLY
With FitTrip your stats are tracked automatically. These include your fitness level over time, how often you are working out, the intensity of your sessions, and your consistency. How many miles have you run? Calories burned? Continents visited? Are you showing up when you plan a session? It’s all here for you.
We have embraced gaming principles to create a sense of progression, reward, and accountability that help users stay engaged, but when it comes to the trips we believe that representing real courses and the real terrain is essential. Whereas video games are purely for the imagination, FitTrip goes a step beyond by tapping into inspiration.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
We believe the technical term for it is, “Magic”. OK, maybe not. But it’s simple to use, it works with any fitness equipment, and the interaction is amazing. So, It kind of feels like magic.
FitTrip uses your heart rate to create the interactive experience. Your heart is essentially connected to your machine. So we connect FitTrip to your heart, and leave your machine alone. This little twist frees you to use any machine without complicated or expensive equipment. FitTrip's interaction is powered by studies on the human body and physics as applied to fitness. Users perform a short calibration on a treadmill. After that, the speed prediction is typically within 1-2 MPH of the speed you would be going if you were there in person.
Don’t like the chest strap? FitTrip is compatible with the Mio Alpha watch that reads your heart rate right from your wrist! (The Alpha was a Kickstarter-backed project in 2012.)
Play Your Music. iTunes controls are embedded right into FitTrip so that you can select your music and control your volume as you workout.
Compatibility: FitTrip works with the iPad 2, 3, 4, and the iPad mini. The iPhone version is on the radar, other platforms will follow next year. It integrates with Bluetooth 4.0 or ANT+ heart rate monitors such as:
- Wahoo Fitness, Mio Alpha, Polar Bluetooth (Bluetooth 4.0, iPad 3, 4 & Mini)
- Wahoo Fitness, Garmin, CycleOps (ANT+ utilizing the Wahoo Key)
WHERE WE ARE
We’ve been working on this for nearly two years. FitTrip as you see it in the video is a real, working beta app for the iPad. We have done the science, connected the technology, and have traveled around the world shooting footage for the first trips. Your backing supports:
- Completion of the development
- Post-production of the trips
- Porting to other platforms post-launch
Customers can buy FitTrip memberships to get access to an ever-expanding library. We expect to launch with a 1-month ($5.99) and 1-year ($59.99) membership.
If you back FitTrip, you'll become a FitTrip Member (starting at $25) and have access to the full trip library. Many levels also offer exclusive rewards that will only be available to backers of this Kickstarter campaign.
FitTrip will be out this fall and will make a great gift for that person who is otherwise impossible to buy for!
Risks and challenges
With FitTrip most of the biggest risks have already been addressed. The technical feasibility, science behind the algorithms, footage for the trips, and a full working beta have all been completed.
This is not our first app, and while we consider the risk of completing the project to be low your decision to back this project is critical.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (40 days)