Thank you all so much for shooting this project into space- but WAIT, there's more!
As funding grows, new rewards will be unlocked for EVERYONE.
That's right, thanks to the magic of STRETCH GOALS every one of your additional hard earned dollars will go straight into making more awesome spoon-tastical, Clarence-approved, table-manner-melting REWARDS:
AUDIO NARRATION SAMPLE ADDED 11/14/2012!
A high energy demo of Jeff reading the first page:
NEW REWARD TIERS ADDED 11/8/2012!
You can now select:
A) Other rewards AND more than one book,
B) a Library Donation option (and other rewards).
The library donation option is new and it's simple: For the extra cost I will donate a hardcover copy of Clarence and The Spoon to a library of your choosing!
Rather than extend the already lengthy rewards section in the project description, these new rewards are listed in the rewards sidebar and are hopefully straightforward. ------------------------->
Please read your reward selection carefully as not all tiers contain the same items! The good news is you can easily change/update your reward option while the campaign is running. If you have any questions at all or still don't see the combination you're after, don't hesitate to send me a message!
----------------------------------end of 11/8/2012 update--------------------------------
CLARENCE does not wish to use his spoon to eat his soup, much to his mother's dismay. Hi-jinkery and thrills ensue with a twist on the truth about spoons. CLARENCE AND THE SPOON is a kid's picture book about manners, mayhem and magic, written and illustrated by Jeff Nitzberg.
Clarence and The Spoon is already 100% written and illustrated, and my goal is to use Kickstarter to self-publish and produce a finished beautiful 37 page, color, hardcover book.
THE STORY BEHIND THE STORY:
Eight years ago I began Clarence and The Spoon as a side project. It was a simple story about a rebellious but intelligent kid, Clarence, who refuses to use his spoon to eat his soup.
As the story grew, I wanted Clarence to be all of the things I loved as a kid: part Ren and Stimpy, part Calvin and Hobbes, part Mad Magazine. Most importantly, I wanted it to be a kid's book that wasn't watered down for kids. There was nothing I loved more as kid than when the strange fused with the sophisticated, and the artistic assimilated the absurd.
Clarence grew into a passion project, a sort of Frog Prince tale, but instead of a frog there was a spoon, and instead of a prince, there was a fantastic magician's assistant.
The moral became more about the underlying magic in things than it did about table manners. It became a story for kids who like the strange, the silly, the fantastic.
I worked for so long on this book, it became a journey into madness. In the end it topped 37 pages, and each page is a lush painting, packed with humor and vocabulary-expanding text, best read aloud and bombastically. The imagery will demand a deeper look, with kids discovering hidden details upon each new reading. And now with your help, we can publish Clarence!
HOW DOES IT WORK?
The nutshell of Kickstarter is all or nothing. If I reach my funding goal through your generous donations on or before the 24th of Nov, 2012, then Clarence becomes a real book. If the funding goal isn't reached, then your money never leaves the bank and Clarence will sadly sulk into his soup bowl, spoonless.
If by some strange miracle I can raise more than $6,000 then I can do even more with Clarence... print more books, or expand rewards for backers. Have an idea? Let me know!
As a basic reward for your donation, you are essentially pre-ordering Clarence in either e-book or hardcover formats.
Higher reward levels include some or all of the following:
NOTE: Please add $10 for international shipping for reward levels 1 through 8 below. Thanks!
1) Signed Copy Of The Hardcover Book ($35)
2A) Includes Two (2) Signed Copies of The Hardcover Book ($50) (THIS IS A NEW REWARD ADDED 10/28/2012!)
2B) Special Thanks With Doodle ($50) (NOTE: This and all pledges of higher value unless otherwise noted include ONE Copy of the Hardcover Book). This Special Thanks section will be featured in the back of both the printed hardcover and e-book editions.
This Special Thanks Level will also include a Personalized Thanks With A Doodle drawn into right into the title page of your copy of the book.
3) Clarence and The Sketches: The Making of Clarence and The Spoon E-Book ($65)
This is a 55 page look into the creation of Clarence and The Spoon! Clarence was painted digitally. Want to know the process? The trials and tribulations along the way? Learn from my mistakes! There were many. This book begins with all 37 pages of Clarence in sketch form, followed by alternate unused pages, drawings, and concept art.
There is also a "making of" section where I talk about the process from start to finish, including tips and tricks on digital painting I learned along the way.
This "making of" will expand on the Clarence Blog, and is great for artists, aspiring book creators, or anyone interested in more Clarence.
4) A Limited Edition Print ($75) of the artwork from any single page or spread from the book (your choice), signed and numbered by myself. These will ONLY ever be available through this Kickstarter campaign and they will be limited to the number of rewards filled.
5) Softcover Clarence and The Sketches: The Making of Clarence and The Spoon ($100) With enough money I can do a small run of 8x10" printed softcover copies of this book. Own a physical copy for art-making inspiration!
6) LIMITED EDITION HARDCOVER Clarence and The Sketches: The Making of Clarence and The Spoon ($150) With an even higher donation I will do a limited edition 8x10" hardcover printing of this behind-the-scenes book. This edition will only be available through this Kickstarter and will be individually numbered as such. Once they are gone they are gone.
7) AN 8x10" PORTRAIT PAINTING ($250) will be made by me, of you, or a loved one of your choosing. You provide the photograph and specification of costume or scenario, and I will create a gorgeous full color portrait painting (using digital paint), signed and delivered, as a quality, one-of-a-kind 8x10" print. Note: gold frame is not included as part of the drawing unless specified by the backer.
8) I WILL PAINT YOUR PORTRAIT INTO CLARENCE AND THE SPOON ($1,000) If you are able to fund this much, your name, title, and custom portrait painting will be featured in the Special Thanks section of the Hardcover and E-book. There will also be room for a short blurb about yourself where you can promote yourself as a superhero, shoe salesman, good Samaritan or whatever you wish. This blurb must be kid friendly, concise, and is subject to my final editorial approval. Examples are illustrated below:
9) BOOK DEDICATION ($6,000). If you are somehow fortunate enough to have both a large heart AND large pockets and believe in this project enough to want to make it into a reality, then I will dedicate this book to you. This dedication will be at the beginning of the Hardcover and E-book, immediately following the cover page like so:
10) I REALLY LIKE YOUR BOOK... BUT I HAVE NO MONEY.
That's okay! I don't have a lot of money either! That's why I'm doing this Kickstarter. If you like Clarence but can't afford to donate, you can do something equally as great, spread the word! Tell family, friends, co-workers and send them a link. You can even tell your dog or cat. I won't judge you.
My goal has always been to get this book out there as much as possible, so spreading the word is huge!
WHY KICKSTARTER? WHY DID THIS TAKE EIGHT YEARS TO MAKE? WHAT IS THIS ALL ABOUT!?? HOW CAN I FIND OUT MORE!!?!??
Thanks for your interest! A book preview with the first 7 pages is up on the Clarence website: www.clarenceandthespoon.com (DIRECT PREVIEW LINK HERE). The preview scales to the size of your browser so view it as big as you can. There is also a blog with a behind-the-scenes look into the creation of the book and why it took so long HERE: www.clarenceandthespoon.com/blog.html
Be sure to check out the Clarence and The Spoon Facebook page here: http://www.facebook.com/ClarenceAndTheSpoon, the blog, or follow me on twitter @JeffNitzberg. Remember, spreading the word means as much as donating.
If you have any suggestions or questions at all about this project, don't hesitate to let me know, just click the button below. Lastly, thank you so much from the bottom of my heart! Your time and interest mean a tremendous amount to me. So if you're still awake and reading this all the way through, then thank you again!
Risks and challenges
Clarence and The Spoon is already 100% written, illustrated, edited, proofed, re-proofed, formatted and ready to go for the printers. I have researched and selected a printer that I am confident will give me the best quality for the price, and your funds will be put entirely toward printing and shipping the best quality book.
Time will also be required for printing, emailing, getting together prizes as well as signing and shipping books. Approximately 240 books need to be sold to meet my funding goal, and I have no illusions about the time and effort involved in signing, compiling, and shipping the prizes. The March due date reflects this additional work.
If somehow I can sell more than this goal, then additional funds would allow me to hire help or be able to distribute books through a 2nd party distributor.
"Clarence and The Sketches," also needs to be formatted for printing and Ebook versions which will require additional time.
My goal is to have transparency and keep communication open to backers throughout the campaign until every reward is filled. As I have already put many years into this project, I'm fully committed to seeing it through the Kickstarter and beyond. I am confident that with your help we can make Clarence a reality. Thanks again!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (33 days)