Miss the Kickstarter? Get it here.
EuroTile is a complete, compact modular instrument built around the popular 1U Tile format.
1U Tiles are small self-contained modules typically used with the Eurorack modular format to add utilities in rows across a modular system. We use 1U Tiles to create all of the modules found in a modular system, such as VCOs, VCFs, etc.
Now a complete modular synthesizer can be made entirely out of small and compact 1U Tiles.
The main component is an elegant and durable case fitting up to 12 1U Tiles.
The case contains a beefy bipolar power supply with distribution so that power headers are located directly underneath each 1U Tile. There are also two 10-pin Eurorack power headers.
It is powered by the included notebook power adapter, but any adapter providing 16V to 30V DC and over 2A can be used.
The case is built from lasercut and machined Masonite, sealed on all surfaces with acrylic, and then finished with an attractive and durable textured enamel surface. It’s available in any colour you like, as long as it’s black with white speckles (unless we reach the stretch reward for additional finishes).
Unlike our previous DIY case, this is not so DIY friendly. In order to create a solid case with no seams a number of jigs need to be used during assembly, and the final surface is routed and machined.
The top mounting bracket is machined from Aluminum and tapped for M3 machine-screws. It’s powder-coated with a tough textured finish.
There is plenty of passive ventilation for the power supplies and modules. A hole is also provided to clear any dropped screws. Rubber feet ensure it stays where it’s supposed to even during the most intense wiggling sessions.
The high-efficiency switching power supply provides a 1.2A +12V rail and a 700mA -12V rail without barely getting warm. It can easily provide twice that if required, but a full compliment of 1U Tiles will draw much, much less. Indicators let you know the status of both rails independently. It’s protected from short circuits and reversed polarity on both the input (power adapter) side and output (1U Tile) side.
Each 1U Tile has its own power connector directly underneath it. The power connectors are design to prevent plugging the module backwards. Several locations can fit deep tiles (up to 30mm).
- Power header under each module.
- Two Eurorack 10-pin power headers.
- Ample passive ventilation.
- Dropped-screw clean-out hole.
- Standard 2.1mm power connector and switch.
- Power adapter included.
- Beefy internal power supply.
- Durable enamel finish.
- Powder-coated rails with holes for M3 machine-screws (included).
- Size: 14cm x 14.5cm x7cm
- Weight: ~500g loaded
- Power Supply: 16V to 30V DC, at least 2A. (Designed for 19V notebook power supplies) 2.1mm DC connector (2.5mm plugs usually fit). Included power supply works in all countries.
- 1U Tile Depth: 30mm
- 1U Tile Power Connectors: Polarized pin headers for Futaba-J “Tile Tails”.
- # of 1U Tile spaces: 12: 4 columns x 3 rows.
Who is it for?
- Modular owners – Put some utility modules at hand and save valuable hp-space.
- Laptop/Tabletop/DJs – Add exactly what you need for your setup. Sync incompatible clocks, convert control voltages, build an analog synth voice...
- Beginners and the modularcurious – Dip your feet into modular synthesis without going over your head or over your budget. When the time comes to expand everything you have can be used with your new Eurorack system.
- Teachers/learners – Teach or lean the basics of analog synthesis without overload.
- Keyboard players and other musicians – A voice of modular analog synthesis in reach.
- Guitar players - The ultimate crazy pedal.
What can you do with it?
- LEARN the basics of analog synthesis
- EXPAND the capabilities of your existing equipment
- CREATE new instruments and new sounds
- TRAVEL with your modular synth anywhere and everywhere.
- Small – bring it anywhere.
- Low power – run several off one power adapter, or even a power bank.
- Easy – Each module has only what’s necessary.
- Powerful – Connect anything to whatever.
- Modular – Build the instrument you need.
- Customizable – put modules where you need them.
- Expandable – choose from a large variety of modules from many makers – or make your own.
- Compatible – use them with any other Eurorack modular or case that uses 1U Tiles.
- Inexpensive – Get a complete synth for the cost of a single Eurorack module.
Developing the Eurotile Case
Our first case was a DIY kit. After receiving a lot of feedback from our DIY case builders, we started the process of building what became the EuroTile Case.
Much of 2018 was spent testing and developing various iterations of design. We have built numerous prototypes in various formats before settling on its final form and function.
We devoted a lot of time to the power supply to ensure no matter what 1U Tiles are installed there will be plenty of current.
We tried many varieties of surface finishings before choosing the elegant and durable finish it now has.
Improvements from the previous case:
- Lower profile. Sleeker looks and easier to mount tiles.
- Beefier and more efficient power supply
- Headers for power connector instead of Tile Tails.
- Almost all exposed seams hidden.
- Aluminum top rails instead of captive-nuts.
- Many, many more minor improvements.
More about 1U Tiles
1U Tiles are small Eurorack modules. Instead of being 3U tall like Eurorack, they are 1U tall. Each "U" is the height of one 19" rack space, commonly used for studio gear. Typically 1U Tiles are used for small utility modules added to 1U Tile rows above or below 3U rows.
They were invented by Pulp Logic and you can read more about them on their site here: http://pulplogic.com/1u_tiles/
We wrote a FAQ here: https://syinsi.com/1u-tile-faq/
There are many companies making 1U Tiles, and the number of 1U Tiles themselves are growing. A great place to see what’s available is on Modular Grid (not all 1U Tiles are compatible – check the FAQ.)
Look and Hear
To complement the case we’re also offering as reward tiers two different configurations of cases with 10 1U Tiles already installed (and at a large discount from retail.)
What do you get?
Included with each system:
- The Case
- Power Adapter with US, EU, or UK plug
And optionally with:
- 12 patch cables
- 10 Modules installed in case
You can choose two different configurations:
- Analog Monosynth – A complete modular synth voice. Perfect for learning, adding on to a system, or just having fun.
- Modular Utilities – expand your modular, desktop, or keyboard setups with a variety of CV, Gate, Trigger, and Clock utilities.
Analog Monosynth Configuration:
- Sawtooth VCO
- Envelope Generator
- 2 LFOs
- CV Mixer
- Sample and Hold / Noise Generator
- Buffered Multiple (Signal Clone)
- CV Shift/Scale
Modular Utilities Configuration:
- Clock Generator
- Clock Divider
- Clock Multiplier
- Triggers (Gate and Trigger Generators)
- CV Mixer
- Sample and Hold / Noise Generator
- Buffered Multiple (Signal Clone)
- CV Shift/Scale
- Pedal Interface
We don’t rely on offshore or contract-manufacturers, but build our products ourselves. This requires that we have on-hand the tooling and components we need to build these cases.
By purchasing materials in bulk direct from the manufacturer we can greatly reduce the overall cost.
By owning our manufacturing equipment and tooling we can build what we need at the time we need it instead of having to order a large amount, wait for them to arrive, and then carry a large inventory.
Why pledge now?
- No early-bird specials because everything is special. But quantities are limited, and shipments will be made in the order of pledges received.
- We are prompt with addressing any questions or concerns, and value all backer input.
- Kickstarter Backers Come First: That means you'll get your EuroTile before limited traditional distribution begins.
- Because We Need You: We've covered the cost of the design and prototyping for the EuroTile, but we can't manufacture and ship without your support.
- Kickstarter-Exclusive Stretch Goals: See below for some major stretch goals that will make your EuroTile unique.
This Kickstarter project is all about making EuroTile as awesome as possible! We want to give you as much stuff as possible, so please share early and often. The more backers we get the more awesome it will be:
- $8000: Choose your colour from a selection of three colours, or with a primer coat to finish yourself as you like.
- $10000: Add mixer module to the monosynth or utilities configurations.
Made in Canada
Almost everything we make is done in-house. We have our own pick-and-place machine for assembling circuit boards. The heavy-duty metal laser cutting is done at a local facility, the rest we do ourselves.
We develop and build hardware synthesizer modules sold through our online shop, so we control all aspects of hardware fabrication and distribution. Because of this we have control over costs and quality and are able to produce neat stuff at low costs relatively quickly.
Many prototypes have been made during the last year. A small batch has been produced for manufacturing and usage tests. Several were on display for live demos at events across North America over the last two years.
This is a 30-day campaign, which means that all components and tooling can be ordered two weeks after this campaign begins (assuming that it looks like the project will be funded).
While waiting for the shipments we will begin work on the modules themselves (in fact we’ve already started and have a good stockpile.)
Everything should arrive at the latest one month after the campaign ends. It will take another week to install, configure, and test the equipment. And then we’ll be able to begin production of the EuroTile case. First shipment will be a week afterwards.
During the entire campaign and up until the very last shipment you will be updated with progress.
We set our delivery date as July, but we expect to begin shipping long before that.
Shipping costs are heavily discounted from the regular rates. All will be sent with tracking. US packages sent with USPS Priority Mail, and international packages sent International Priority.
The EuroTile is made in and shipped from Ontario Canada. As with all Kickstarter Projects, cost does not include the customs fees, duties and/or taxes you might incur when importing products into your state or country.
Risks and challenges
The prototyping, design, and testing phases are done. The suppliers have been found. All we need to do is buy the materials and tooling to get these made at an affordable cost.
The largest risk is having shipment delays for materials and tooling. We've already added a generous leeway for shipping so if there is a problem it should only add a few weeks to a month to the final delivery time.
Because we manufacture everything in-house (and have been doing so for several years), delays due to manufacturing problems will be minimal and easily overcome.
In the event of a large number of backers, shipments to backers will be sent in the order they're received.
We have done our best to minimize our external dependencies so that if anything does go wrong it will most likely be our fault and therefore we'll be able to do something about it quickly.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (28 days)