Appkettle: The Smart Kettle with Vision (Canceled)
Appkettle: The Smart Kettle with Vision (Canceled)
The World's Smartest Kettle. App Volume, Temperature and Time Connected. A More Useful, Smart Beverage Making Experience For Everyone.
The World's Smartest Kettle. App Volume, Temperature and Time Connected. A More Useful, Smart Beverage Making Experience For Everyone. Read more
Let's Re-Imagine The Kettle… With A Smarter Vision..
The Electric Kettle is quite simply the world's most versatile beverage maker used by millions of people, every day. We use it to make our favourite hot drinks and share moments with our loved one's, friends and colleagues, essentially the Kettle has the power to connect us.
We are extremely passionate about technology, hot drinks, sharing and connecting moments together and that is why we created Appkettle to be:
Convenient, Timesaving, Useful, Beautiful and Simple for Everyone.
Appkettle is the world's first kettle with volume and temperature linked to your app in real-time. This allows you to interact, see and control Appkettle's temperature, volume, timings and energy usage.
How Can Appkettle Benefit You?
- Standard Home Platform - Appkettle works through WiFi and will be developed onto the Apple HomeKit platform and Android. This solution is efficient, safe and secure for enabling communication between multiple smart home products and the user.
- Real-time User Interface - All users can see kettle usage, schedule and make selections through the appkettle app.
- Cloud Based Architecture - It is our intention, on achieving the required stretch goal to integrate Appkettle's functionality into a cloud system. This would support remote connection outside of WiFi connectivitiy and allow control through 3G/4G, dynamic multi-user and preference control, external connectivity, distance-time relationships and more..
- You Save Time - According to Which? approximate statistics, Brits boil 1,378 times a year with the average kettle taking one minute and 27 seconds to boil (2 cups). Appkettle will help reduce 33 hours of waiting to near zero. More time for you to enjoy and with perfect tasting beverages.
Tea and Hot Beverage Lovers
- Pick A Temperature - Select Any Beverage Temperature.
- Schedule - Pick any time, any day and the beverage temperature to suit you.
- Brew Timing - understand brew times and automate the timer to run just after removing the kettle from the base.
- Save Preferences - Save your favourite beverage name and temperature, then schedule with a tap of your finger ready for your next brew moment.
- Improve Taste - Set the kettle to boil and cool for the exact drink temperature, to remove any potential impurities within the water, maximising taste and flavour..
Parent's with young infants
We understand that being time starved, whilst raising a child can be a tough and tiring job. That's why we want to simplify infant formula milk preparation by using Appkettle's volume, temperature and scheduling capability (Baby Bottle Feature), so that it can help with infant formula milk preparation and save you time.
- Set Feed Time - Pick any time, any day.
- Scheduled Cool Down - Appkettle boils and cools for time selected.
- Prepare Baby Bottle - On arrival make up a baby bottle
- Finish - Quickly cool bottle under tap, check temp on wrist and feed
All completed on arrival with the kettle at the perfect formula temperature, no waiting required..
Although the electric kettle is one of the most efficient ways to heat water, it consumes energy at the higher rate for domestic appliances. In Appkettle we provide each user on the app with temperature, volume and energy information and controls to reduce their overall energy consumption and any wasteful over-heating.
- Unnecessary Re-heating - How many times have you boiled a kettle and then forgotten about it, then reboiled it 5 mins later.. Now with the connected app, simply check the temperature and stop re-heating when not required.
- Reduce Heating Temperature - Did you know that many tea's and coffee's taste better with improved flavour at temperatures less then the boiling point of water? Pick any lower temperature with Appkettle and save energy.
- Energy Monitoring - Did you know that averagely in the UK we boil a kettle 1,378 times per year (according to Which? data) at 2.5p (≈3.5 cups full) per boil, it would cost approximately £34.45/year. Appkettle lets you monitor, reduce and check usage through the app, in real-time.
- Wasteful Over-heating - Appkettle's senses when you remove and replace the jug to it's base. If the water temperature hasn't changed and volume is left in, this denotes overheating. Appkettle will advise in reducing this cost.
- Learning New Habits - When given temperature, volume and energy usage in the app, you have all the tools and awareness, to stop wasteful overheating of water. This will help you learn new energy saving behaviours.
Other Important Benefits
Packed Full of Useful Features and Potential...
Appkettle has developed over the past 3 years with each feature carefully considered to provide the most benefit, whilst providing simple, effective and intuitive kettle control for all users.
For Kickstarter Backer Understanding and Clarity - Each of the following features have functionality developed into our completed Appkettle prototypes:
Temperature and Volume
Appkettle's smart scheduling enables you to set beverage types for any time in the day or night. It uses temperature and volume information to heat and allow for cooling as necessary to suit your drink requirements. The App then notifies you, keeps it warm or you can simply arrive at the kettle for the time selected.
Scheduling is linked with other powerful functionality such as:
- Brew Timers
- Infant formula Cool-down (Baby Bottle),
- Scheduled Tea cool-down and
- Saving individual user preferences.
Our development will include these features in the app and allow for user definable controls.
Energy WiFi and Energy Cloud Feature:
Illumination Heat Link
- The Kettle temperature to colour illumination on the App and in the Kettle.
- This feature could save the user energy and time provides any user simply by looking at the colour in the App or at the kettle.
Prevention for Accidental Heating
With smart remote functionality, safety is a key priority. Our hardware and software prevents the kettle being turned on accidentally, it also includes dry boil protection.
Also, in being able to see who’s using it and the current jug volume we have developed the safest smart kettle available.
For Kickstarter Backer Understanding and Clarity - Each of the following features are to be developed into Appkettle, with the attainment of our required pledge and stretch goals:
Brew Round (WiFi)
The Appkettle Brew Round WiFi feature is a basic version of the cloud enabled feature it:
- Sends notifications out to multiple users connected to an Appkettle within a home or office to notify all users to ask whether they would like a beverage.
- Drink requests can then be taken by the primary user and a notification will then be sent out when they are ready, so all users can share a brew together.
Standard Home Platform
Appkettle will be developed on HomeKit (iOS) smart home platform and Android (other platforms to be made available).
It will open the potential of using smartwatch, voice, car and TV integration for Appkettle as standard.
The Cloud - A Whole New World of Possibility..
Appkettle WiFi is pretty smart, however without a cloud system it is unable to link users together. This limits Appkettle's functionality in managing multiple user's, their preferences, sharing and communicating.
With your pledge support, we will develop the Appkettle Cloud, this will unlock the following:
In the Beginning...
Appkettle's hardware and software design began in 2011, with a single purpose; to create the world's most beautiful, effective and intuitive water heater control through the application of mobile communication technology.
Through the development of the Appkettle prototypes, we began to evolve the scientific, practical and premium relationship of Appkettle within the aesthetics to our final registered design.
Appkettle's final design is a smooth, continuous form factor consisting of a stainless steel body and base, a soft touch handle with lid release and a large water window for displaying Appkettle's beautiful LED colours.
The design continually evolved alongside Appkettle's functionality, to ensure the product remained truly efficient, innovative and yet strikingly beautiful.
- Wi-Fi 802.11b/g wireless networking,
- Volumetric measurement
- Temperature measurement and LED sensors, all linked through an advanced 360 degree optical IR interface connector.
- (Please see Rewards section for full Appkettle specifications).
This enables efficient, safe, secure and reliable two way wireless communication in the jug, base and the mobile app. Appkettle includes patented connector sense technologies and a patented mobile user control philosophy.
Real-time Monitoring and Control
- App User Feedback - Appkettle software interprets sensor data for changes in temperature, volume and kettle usage. It then display's this to the user in real-time on the app.
- Temperature - Heat demand is measured and software algorithms interpret data for resistance to the water in Appkettle, giving real-time temperature feedback to the user on the App. Accuracy upto +/- 1oC /33oF
- Volume is measured as resistance in the jug base circuit assembly to derive mass. Weight logic was then developed for kettle application and use. Accuracy upto +/- 30mm/30cc in 360 Degree Movement of Jug.
Optical Communication Interface
- 360 degree optical communication between appliance and Appkettle's cordless base.
- Multidirectional optical communication receive and transmit user controls and app information in real-time.
- Safe, meets safety standards for household electrical appliances.
- Washable - connector safe to partially or immerse in water for cleaning.
- Robust technology - Connector and control's already used in other appliances within the home.
Your rewards for achieving Appkettle fund goals:
Update - As of 23rd April, if we hit the fund goal, we have added incentive to upgrade the Appkettle model to the most premium option. This is possible through recent negotiations with our manufacturer given the level of funding that we have so far; and we really are passionate about getting EVERYTHING WE CAN FOR OUR BACKERS, we feel your support is invaluable and want Appkettle's final design to become reality.
Please push those you know and may back the project to help us get to the finish line.
Introducing: Appkettle WiFi
Introducing: Appkettle Premium WiFi
Introducing: Appkettle Cloud
Introducing: Appkettle Premium Cloud
Our Road To Kickstarter
Appkettle began in late 2011 with a vision; to improve the daily use and benefits of an electric kettle, by including technology in kettle’s that would make it simple for users to connect, share and use kettles through their mobile devices.
Over the next two years we carefully advanced Appkettle’s concept, our granted intellectual property and established a key lasting relationship with Otter Controls Ltd a world renowned developed partner in kettle controls and connectors.
After receiving granted intellectual property and technology investment in 2014, Appkettle soon progressed through engineering validation testing and prototyping.
Once complete in Mid 2014, Appkettle attended trade shows in China, America, Germany and the UK.
This now leads us to present day and our Kickstarter project:
We want to believe that something different can happen and we hope that the Kickstarter community can see with Appkettle that we’ve considered and care about multiple users, more benefits and how it connects with the world around us.
As technology purists, we wanted to give the best possible user experience in Appkettle and give the benefit of it’s creativity to the world.
We hope you share our vision for more useful home connected products and pledge today.
The Appkettle Team.
Meet The Appkettle Development Team
Appkettle’s foundations were built from it's two co-founders Robert and Richard Hill that have a combined 20 years award winning project management, engineering and design experience.
Since our early beginning’s, Appkettle has been developed through a collective group of leading and talented engineers, designers, and project partners based from all over the world.
Our completed prototypes and Appkettle’s future progress will be alongside our main development and project partner Otter Controls Ltd, one of the world’s leading control and connector suppliers used in millions of products that people use and love every day.
The Next Steps..
Share us with the world:
Risks and challenges
The Appkettle is the world's most advanced kettle, with a unique level of complexity that leaves us dependent on our supply chain and development partners. For creating Appkettle, we have secured premium, quality and world leading development and manufacturing partners. These well established partners have been creating products that you will most certainly own and use in your homes, offices, on your drive, or plugged into your wall somewhere.
Pre-Kickstarter and over the last year, we have already moderated the risks by assessing the technical performance required and taken the necessary steps to achieve them. We have also considered classic lead time/availability issues that directly affect our completion date.
Experts in rigorous approval processes: Hazard Analysis, Failure Mode Effect Analysis (FMEA and Design for Manufacture & Assembly (DFMA), Appkettle and partners will use a lean approach for product development and reduce costs whilst accelerating project time to reach you quicker.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (35 days)