About this project
Our KickStarter Campaign has ended but you can still place an order by clicking on the Button below. You will be taken to our Web Store.
What is My N3RD?
My N3RD (Pronounced Nerd) Network Enabled Relay Device turns your smartphone into a remote control for every gadget, vehicle and appliance you own. It works with the My N3RD app to upgrade ANY switch into a wireless controlled, programmable, and automatic smart switch, updating all of your devices into intelligent connected ones.
- Connect and control devices directly. No internet connection or router required.
- Works with DC and mobile applications such as Cars, RVs, and boats. With My N3RD, you aren’t just limited to home appliances.
- Connects to any switch, enabling you to upgrade virtually anything— not just simple appliances like fans and lights.
- Simple setup. You only need to configure functions in the App once, and you can reuse them again and again.
- My N3RD is equipped with two relays and two inputs that can be used with external switches and physical switches to create a wide variety of uses.
- My N3RD is smart. You can program My N3RD to act without your intervention. Use the app to set timers for appliances and electronics.
- Although My N3RD has direct connect capability, it can also be connected through your home WiFi so you can control your devices from anywhere. Upgrade anything to an Internet of Things device.
- Garage Door: Open it, close it, and monitor it from anywhere
- Electric Gates
- Winches, Pumps, Motors
- Electric Start Generator
- Hot Tub
- Oven... Did you forget to turn it off?
- Dishwasher... Turn it on when your not home (or asleep).
- Speaker Zone Control
- Auto Accessories (after market sound system, lighting, etc..)
- RV accessories (canopy, lights, etc..)
- Remote Computer Re-Booter
- Agriculture (Hydroponic Control)
- Modem /Router Re-Booter. ** Monitors the internet and automatically reboots your equipment in sequential order when it cannot reach a selected website
- Door Locks in your car... On-Star without the Monthly Fees
- Alarm System: Monitor your home or vehicle remotely
- Christmas lights
- Fireplace: turn your electrically controlled fireplace on and off, set it to a timer
- Coffee Maker: Start your coffee maker with your phone
- Window Unit Air Conditioners
- Mechanicals at a vacation home (electric water heater, etc..)
How Do You Connect to My N3RD?
Do you need a Smartphone to control My N3RD?
You only need your smartphone to configure the initial settings of My N3RD. Once My N3RD has been configured, it can be used as a standalone device without any interaction from your phone. My N3RD provides two inputs for connecting your own switches or sensors and controlling My N3RD. In addition, you can use the app to program My N3RD. Its simple logic switches allow you to perform many tasks and interact with the inputs in different ways. Once programmed, My N3RD stores functions into its non-volatile memory and performs them even when it’s not connected to your phone.
What Smart Phones are compatible with My N3RD?
There is a My N3RD iOS app developed and available for download. We are currently working on an Android Version and will have it available with the Production releases of My N3RD. A Web-Interface for all other devices will be part of our first Stretch Goal if it is met.
Why wouldn't I just use a Raspberry Pi?
A lot of people have suggested that there are cheaper alternatives... We disagree, a lot of the Maker Type DIY products are great and we see ourselves as more of an addition than the competition. Below is a quick comparison of the hardware needed in order to have similar capabilities to My N3RD. Keep in mind, that you still need to write all the code with these options as well as develop an App if you want to have Smart Phone capabilities.
How Do you Connect to My N3RD?
How will you use My N3RD? Here are just a few examples of things we’ve done with My N3RD:
We did this demonstration nearly three years ago with one of our early prototypes. We’ve learned a lot since then, but that same unit is still on my garage door and working perfectly!
This video showcases a special Garage Door version of the My N3RD App. that we developed that added some specific features to My N3RD such as the ability to monitor and alert you if the Garage door was left open. We are now working on adding a "Geo Fence" that will automatically detect your position and open/close your Garage Door accordingly based off your current GPS coordinates.
Here is a demonstration of My N3RD’s amazing ability to connect directly to your phone. As you can see, My N3RD unlocks unlimited possibilities for mobile control.
My N3RD can even be used to upgrade the winch on a Jeep.
We effortlessly connected My N3RD to a fireplace with an electric start. This upgrade has been very useful, especially on cold winter mornings. Now I can just turn on my fireplace as I get out of bed—no more cold feet when I go downstairs.
Check out Beta My N3RDs Proudly being produced in the U.S.A.
We are exploring concepts for future wire management accessories, additional functionality through the use of an expansion port, and the ability to get into the enclosure without the use of fasteners. Take a look at some of the concepts below.
My N3RD production will begin immediately after funding is successful and the "Beta Backers" can expect to begin to receive their prototype units within weeks... no time will be wasted. Here is our timeline:
- February 23rd: Reach funding goal!
- February: Finalize enclosure design and begin tooling.
- March: Ship My N3RD prototypes to Beta Backers and N3RD Herd decals to Founding Members.
- April: Review first “off tool” enclosure samples. Procure BOM parts and receive production inventory.
- May: Finalize tooling and begin enclosure production.
- June: Begin Mass Production!
- July: Ship My N3RD Modules to all Backers.
- August: Submit OEM Development Backers’ App to the App Store.
- September: Deliver Turnkey Custom My N3RDs to Advanced OEM Backers.
$50K: We committed to providing an Android App by Production release.***REACHED!
$75K: Web Interface, and New iOS App Features***REACHED!
We will release a My N3RD web interface accessible from any browser. We will also add some exciting enhancements to our iOS app, such as multiple My N3RD capability, a calendar feature, and repeatable timing function control.
$100K: Cloud Integration***REACHED!
What if My N3RD could react to events and data on the web? Cloud integration enhances My N3RD capabilities by allowing web interaction. Turn a device on/off when you get tagged on Facebook or tweeted. Program My N3RD to check the weather and make decisions based on current conditions. (Close the door if it’s raining. Turn on the AC unit if it’s hot.) The possibilities are endless! My N3RD will be fully compatible with IFTTT; we have already discussed bringing My N3RD online.
As My N3RD evolves, we will continue to offer new features and advanced functions. We have only just begun to think of all the amazing things that My N3RD can do, and we know that our backers will have plenty of ideas. Thinking ahead, we developed My N3RD so that any and all new features can be updated wirelessly through its WiFi connection. This includes a complete re-flash of the microprocessor firmware and the 802.11 radio configuration. My N3RD won’t become obsolete because it will always be updatable and supported.
Here is a sample of My N3RD technology at work in a successful consumer product. AccuAir is a leader in their field, and we were honored when they approached us to develop AccuAir iLevel.
Our Design Team:
Rob Dorrell, EE/Creator and Head N3RD
Eric Coatney, Electrical Engineer, Hardware Design, iOS App Development, and WiFi Firmware.
Breck Ricketts, Software Engineer, Microprocessor Firmware and OTA (over the air) update schemes.
John Adzema, Production Manager, BOM procurement and Production Management.
Steven Ore, Technician, Beta Tester and Programming.
Derick Schweppe, Industrial Designer, Design and Mechanical construction.
Jeremy Smith, Electrical Engineer, Electrical Design Management.
Risks and challenges
We have spent the last three years perfecting this product and invested over $150,000.00 to get this far. But we need your help to get My N3RD finalized and into production.
Engineering, Designing, procuring components, scheduling production time from factories, etc.. are all major hurdles when bringing a new product into the Marketplace. Fortunately, my parent Company has been doing this for 16 years. We manufacture and ship 1,000's of Products every year so we are very confident that mass producing My N3RD will not be the same challenge for us that most will face. However, things still happen. One of the most common production delays are associated with procuring long lead time parts. We have identified these parts and have either already procured them, or have them bonded under contract. If the demand exceeds our expectations, then we have steps in place to allocate the additional components.
To complete this project and ship what we promise, we must:
1. Achieve our funding goal so that we can cover fixed costs associated with manufacturing these devices. At our current BOM we must receive pledges for at least 1000 units in order to bring My N3RD to you at the right price.
2. Produce hard tools for the My N3RD Enclosure
3. Complete the production PCB design and order PCBs and components from our vendors.
4. Complete the packaging design and order packaging.
We are passionate about bringing this product to Market and are confident that we have the knowledge and the personnel to make this happen. We know we have only begun to imagine the possibilities that such a product as My N3RD can do and we are excited to get these in your hands and see what My N3RD will do for you.
Thanks for your support.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (45 days)