Production Design Update...
I've completed quite a bit of work over the past two days. The first thing I had to do, sadly, was jettison the Naming Rights tier. The problem with it, I now realize, was it's affect on the production design. I can't very well generate the final design when part of the final design could have included a sponsorship message that might not have come through until the final day. It was either continue making forward progress or keep the tier and we all wait. I chose to continue forward progress.
So, with that sacrifice made, I've done quite a few changes towards the final production design, which will be officially called "Version 1.0". The obvious changes you'll see are the new silkscreen added around the edges, the ADC header pushed right slightly to allow horizontal mounting, the edges nicely rounded, a mammoth sized ground pad for the Real Time Clock battery backup and clearly labelled test points.
Some of the modifications aren't that easy to see though -- foot print changes for every capacitor and resistor on the board.
Octopart has created something called "The Common Parts Library" (CPL), which is a list of electronics components, active and passive, that will (hopefully) form the basis for the skeleton of many Open Source Hardware / Maker circuit designs going forward. I have modified the Bill of Materials (BOM) to reflect the components listed in the CPL. Unfortunately, my original design specified 0805 sized components because I know I can solder those in my sleep. As the individual who has volunteered to author the KiCad schematic symbols and footprints for the CPL, I thought it would be good form to start using it right away. Most of those original 0805 footprints are now 0603 although some did grow to 1206. If you're thinking, "changing all the resistors and capacitors on that board must have been a pain", you're right :) It's done now though, and I'm glad to be able to support a project like the CPL, which I hope will ultimately make design work easier for all of you when you're ready to make your own boards!
Now, user input time again! I need your recommendations on how you want the Display Add-on connector designed. Currently, it's a simple female 0.1" header that provides access to the features of the board. My idea, is to replace it with a male pin header that would be able to connect both directly into the Education Shield, or to a breadboard. I'm not decided either way, but if you have an opinion on it: keep the female headers to use with jumper wire, or go with the male headers for shield / breadboard use, please let me know in the next day or so.
On the project business front, I'm very pleased that two backers have joined this weekend! I wasn't expecting anyone at all this weekend, so that puts us at 87% and the first week isn't even done yet; 23 days to go! Currently, the project will require three panels of Education Shields and two panels of Display Add-ons.
That's a lot of boards!
As always, feel free to send me any questions, comments, concerns or marketing tips you have :)