X-Dice project video thumbnail
Replay with sound
Play with
sound
$1,167 pledged of $6,000 goal
backers

All or nothing. This project will only be funded if it reaches its goal by .

By Joseph Fjelstad
$1,167 pledged of $6,000 goal
backers

All or nothing. This project will only be funded if it reaches its goal by .

About

X-dice are unique type of d4 gaming die (technically a d8), having not 1 but 2 intrinsic landing probabilities, normal with the base down (~96%) and a rare base up probability (~4%)  

X-dice come in sets of five contained within a custom carrier. Included with the dice and carrier are four sheets of stickers with different shapes and sizes for customizing your X-dice. 

The dice in a carrier allowing for easy and secure transportation of the five dice set is shown below

X-dice Carrier makes an excellent display whilst keeping dice secure during transport.
X-dice Carrier makes an excellent display whilst keeping dice secure during transport.

Stickers allow for user customization suited to the play of legacy games or to the needs of any new game the user invents for themselves.  An example of X-dice with stickers is shown below

X-dice Stickers allow easy customization
X-dice Stickers allow easy customization

 

Most gaming dice have uniform probability relative to landing position. For example, a cubic die will land on one of the square surfaces with equal probability, the same principle holds true for every other type of multifaceted dice commonly used in gaming. 

X-dice are different.

X-dice are fundamentally d4 dice in terms of their use but they are technically a d8 and their shape and use are novel. X-dice are predicated on a truncated tetrahedron design and have not 4 but 8 surfaces, four sides being large surface area hexagons and four sides being smaller triangular surfaces. Thus X-dice are unique among gaming dice in that there are two possible outcomes, one where the hexagonal surface lands down–as would normally be expected–and one where the die lands in a stable position with the hexagonal face on top, because of this feature the probability of landing on one of large hexagonal bases is not 100%. In empirical tests, it was observed that the die landed in the inverted mode 38 times in 1000 rolls, this translates to 3.8% of the time or roughly once in every 25 rolls. Moreover, the surfaces can be customized permanently by writing on them with a Sharpie marker or temporarily using stickers provided with every set of dice.

The video below shows X-Dice physically landing in an upside-down position in slow motion

 project video thumbnail
Replay with sound
Play with
sound

 

The uniqueness of X-Dice opens doors to unending possibilities for players of games and developers alike, lending itself to the playing of legacy games of every type. Should you want to make an old game new again, simply swap out your old d6 cubic dice and use X-Dice instead, it takes every game to new dimensions. Players can use 1, 2, 3 or more dice to play any of their favorite games and then determine among themselves, the significance of the inverted landing as it applies to the game being played.   

Another novel feature of X-dice is that in normal play, doubles happen 50% more often making for potentially much more rapid and exciting play.

X-dice allow players of every age an opportunity to actively engage in redefining the rules of the game in the light of this novel capability.  

 Once we pass our initial goal we'll be revealing some fun and exciting stretch goals for this project. Keep your eyes here!

 

Risks and challenges

Risk for this Kickstarter project is considered low as a lot of time and effort has been invested in advance of launch. We expect to fully meet delivery goals, including first pass stretch goals when they are announced. There may be additional stretch goals added if the initial goals are met within the time alotted for this project launch.

We intend to honor the prospective backers' commitment to this project with timely delivery of X-dice so as not to delay your enjoyment and to accelerate market entry for a new type of gaming die. We hope that this new type of dice will bring some fun and happiness not only into the lives of our backers for this project but also into lives of others who will also benefit from your small but important investment to make that possible.

The primary challenge in this project is in hopefully getting you to appreciate X-dice and to agree that these unique dice have a place in the world of games. Moreover that they deliver the prospective fun they offer both to you now, and to other game lovers in the future.

Learn about accountability on Kickstarter

Questions about this project? Check out the FAQ

Support

  1. Make a pledge without a reward

    $
    Kickstarter is not a store.

    It's a way to bring creative projects to life.

    Learn more about accountability.
  2. Select this reward

    Pledge $5 or more About $5

    Thank you!

    Thank you for supporting X-Dice! At this level you'll get periodic updates and can always increase your pledge at some point before the Kickstarter is over.

    Less
    Estimated delivery
    0 backers
    $
    Kickstarter is not a store.

    It's a way to bring creative projects to life.

    Learn more about accountability.
  3. Select this reward

    Pledge $9 or more About $9

    X-Dice - blank/white (2 dice)

    You'll get 2 individual X-Dice.
    *Note: This level only ships to the USA.

    Less
    Estimated delivery
    Ships to Only United States
    0 backers
    $
    Kickstarter is not a store.

    It's a way to bring creative projects to life.

    Learn more about accountability.
  4. Select this reward

    Pledge $19 or more About $19

    X-Dice - blank/white (set of 5)

    Five X-Dice in our custom patented carrier box.
    Sticker sheets included so you can customize your dice again and again!

    Includes:
    • X-Dice (custom set of 5)
    • Sticker Sheet
    Less
    Estimated delivery
    Ships to Anywhere in the world
    16 backers
    $
    Kickstarter is not a store.

    It's a way to bring creative projects to life.

    Learn more about accountability.
  5. Select this reward

    Pledge $29 or more About $29

    X-Dice - blank/white (2 sets of 5)

    Two sets of five X-Dice in our custom patented carrier box. Sticker sheets included so you can customize your dice again and again!

    Less
    Estimated delivery
    Ships to Anywhere in the world
    8 backers
    $
    Kickstarter is not a store.

    It's a way to bring creative projects to life.

    Learn more about accountability.
  6. Select this reward

    Pledge $250 or more About $250

    X-Dice (5 sets of 5) + interview

    You'll get 5 full sets of X-dice and have the chance to speak with the creator of these dice via the interwebs for 2 full hours.
    *Free S&H Anywhere in the world at this level.

    Less
    Estimated delivery
    Ships to Anywhere in the world
    Limited (3 left of 3) 0 backers
    $
    Kickstarter is not a store.

    It's a way to bring creative projects to life.

    Learn more about accountability.