Call + Response: Textures
is an art show that plays matchmaker. Four writers each contribute one call—a short, intense piece of fiction or poetry—and four artists each create a brand new installation piece in response to one call.
Here's the problem
It's essential that all our participants be here for the show's opening on April 16. A few of them live far from DC, and we need your help to fly them to town for the opening!
Srikanth Reddy, a recipient of the Asian American Literary Award and a professor at the University of Chicago, lives in (naturally) Chicago.
TM Sisters, a multimedia pop-art explosion sister duo, live in Miami.
To bring them here for the opening costs $917. Your contribution will allow us to fly them in so they can meet the artist/writer they're paired with and see, in person, the artwork they helped to create!
Check out the complete list of packages over there on the right. In addition, if we raise more money than we need to cover travel costs, we'll do a print run of the chapbook, and anyone who donates more than $50 will get a copy!
The rest of C+R's participants are all set for getting to the opening. We are seriously stoked about all of them, and we think you will be too. The writers include:
- Stuart Dybek, one of the world’s greatest living short-short writers and recipient of a 2007 MacArthur Grant, from Chicago. (Stuart can't attend the opening, unfortunately.)
- Naomi Ayala, an award-winning Latina poet from Washington, DC.
- Reese Okyong Kwon, one of Narrative magazine’s “30 Below 30” writers, also from Washington, DC.
The artists include:
- Maggie Michael, an award-winning artist from Washington, DC.
- Jon Bobby Benjamin, a Hamiltonian Fellow from Richmond, Virginia.
- Amanda Burnham, an award winning artist and professor from Baltimore.
Learn way more about the participants, read blog posts by them, and find out everything you wanted to know about the show at the Call + Response: Textures website.
Support this project
- (30 days)