With the advancement of recent smartphone camera technology, the power to create amazing content is now available to everyone. Whether you're a live streamer, mobile journalist, filmmaker, photographer or small business, we have the tools that allow you to create professional quality content with your smartphone.
Introducing the all-new DOF Adapter MK2 and Anamorphic lens - the next step in the evolution of smartphone photography and filmmaking.
Early Bird Rewards
Add-on items can be added to any reward. To include an add-on item(s), select your reward and add the amount for the add-on item(s) to your pledge. Then send us a quick message letting us know what add-on(s) you selected.
DOF Adapter MK2
The DOF Adapter MK 2 is the most advanced smartphone SLR/DSLR lens adapter ever created. It allows you to use an SLR/DSLR* lens to the powerful smartphone camera that you have in your pocket for an incredible bokeh(licious), shallow depth-of-field and film-style look and the ability to pull focus manually like on professional cinema cameras.
How it works
The DOF Adapter MK2 has two main parts: the body shell with a bayonet mount on one side and a 37mm threaded mount on the other, and the optical system, which contains the lenses and focusing screen/ground glass.
Here's how it works:
- The SLR/DSLR lens attaches to the bayonet mount, which is precisely positioned to project the image directly onto the focusing screen inside the DOF Adapter MK 2. This works the same way that a lens projects the image onto the sensor inside of a DSLR camera.
- The smartphone is mounted on the opposite side, which then records the same image that's projected on the focusing screen by focusing through the optical system in macro mode.
Redesigned from scratch
We set two major design goals for the DOF Adapter MK2:
- Make it more reliable/user-friendly
- Improve the image quality
We did both, and then some.
All-new optics with groundbreaking results
We completely redesigned the optical system from scratch to eliminate as much vignetting, chromatic aberration and distortion as possible. Our custom achromatic doublet macro lens reduces chromatic aberration and gives your phone the ability to quickly focus in macro. The condenser lens is positioned next to the focusing screen and works in conjunction with the Fresnel lens on the focusing screen to remove vignetting/hotspotting and eliminate the pincushion distortion from the achromatic doublet macro lens. Together, this optical system provides the most optimal performance for the best possible results.
We know that nothing is more important than getting the perfect shot. Our new design is easier than ever to use and is engineered to eliminate user-error. Now you can worry less about setting up your rig and “focus” your attention on creating (pun intended).
Fast and easy setup
The DOF Adapter MK2 incorporates a new patent-pending system with a rotating barrel and unique locking mechanism to easily frame the focusing screen and at the same time align the bayonet mount and SLR/DSLR lens in the correct orientation to see your lens measurements like on a professional camera.
No separate rings, filters or parts, just one uni-body design made with long-lasting machined aluminum for a simple, reliable, user-friendly experience. Whether you're shooting an interview in a controlled studio or a feature-length film in the Sahara Desert, you can trust your rig to never let you down.
*Compatible SLR/DSLR Lenses
The DOF Adapter MK2 is compatible with a wide variety of SLR and DSLR lenses, just make sure that they meet the following requirements:
- Full frame - the focusing screen inside the DOF Adapter MK2 is designed for full-frame lenses. Using a full-frame focusing screen offers the best performance and compatibility with the largest variety of lenses. Crop sensor lenses are not recommended, as they will cause extreme vignetting when used with the DOF Adapter MK2.
- Canon EF Mount - the DOF Adapter MK2 uses a Canon EF Mount, so it can be used with Canon EF lenses, and a wide variety of other brands/mounts, such as Nikon F-mount, PL-mount, Pentax K-mount, M42, and Olympus OM-mount with an additional adapter ring.
- Manual focus control and an open aperture - the most important aspect of the DOF Adapter MK2 is the ability to manually control focus and get a shallow depth-of-field. Since the DOF Adapter MK2 is purely mechanical, your lens has to have a manual mechanical focus control. Lenses like the Canon STM series that require an electronic connection to a camera body to focus are not compatible with the DOF Adapter MK2. Lenses that offer manual aperture control have to be set wide open for the most shallow depth-of-field. Lenses without a manual aperture control ring, like canon EF lenses, will usually already have their aperture wide open and are also compatible.
For the best results, we recommend using fast (f.95 - f2.8) SLR/DSLR lenses. Generally speaking, the faster the lens, the better performance the DOF Adapter MK2 will have.
As demonstrated above, the SLR/DSLR lens projects the image upside down. For this reason, we recommend using a third-party app to flip the image back to the normal orientation, such as FiLMiC Pro (Video - iOS and Android), ProCamera (Photo and Video - iOS), Filmakr (Video - iOS), MAVIS (Video - iOS), ProMovie (Video - iOS), Camera 645 Pro Mk 3 (Photo and Video - iOS) or Open Camera (Photo/Video - Android).
You can also use the DOF Adapter in your smartphone’s stock/native camera app with the image flipped upside down if you prefer.
The DOF Adapter MK2 is an amazing tool for creating unique and artistic film-style looks, but there are some limitations worth mentioning:
- The image is flipped upside down - as we mentioned in the recommended apps section, the DOF Adapter MK2 flips your image upside down. Visit the recommended apps section above for more information on third-party apps that correct this for you.
- Light reduction - the DOF Adapter MK2 reduces light by around 20%. You’ll also want to take your lens' f-stop value into consideration, which also reduces light. For the best results, we recommend shooting in well-lit environments.
- Visible textures - the focusing screen has microscopic indentations that diffuse light and micro engravings on the other side (Fresnel lens), which are both necessary for the adapter to function. In some cases you may see some of these textures in your image. These textures are more apparent in certain lighting conditions and with smaller apertures (larger f numbers). For the best results, we recommend using fast lenses, shooting in well-lit environments and always keeping your aperture wide open.
- Dust/Microscopic particles - the DOF Adapter MK2 works differently than other optical systems. Since it projects the image onto a small focusing screen, which your phone then records by looking through a macro lens, it's very important to keep the focusing screen dust-free to prevent imperfections from getting on your image. For this reason, we assemble the DOF Adapter MK2 in a clean, dust-free room and enclose it on both sides with multi-coated glass to eliminate the chance of dust from getting on the focusing screen. However, there's a slight chance that a microscopic-sized imperfection/particle/piece of dust that's naked to the human eye could get on the screen during the manufacturing process and show up on your image.
The BeastRail is a secure, all-in-one rail system, custom designed for the Beastgrip Pro and the DOF Adapter/DOF Adapter MK2. With its machined aluminum construction and standardized 15mm rails, you’re able to firmly lock all of your gear in place for an even more stable shot and attach additional accessories like a follow focus and matte box.
All components are machined from aluminum for extreme durability and toughness.
Add a follow focus for a smoother focus control.
Note: The BeastRail mounts to an upgraded lower arm (the horizontal aluminum piece underneath the lens mount) on the Beastgrip Pro. The Beastgrip Pro from this campaign will have this upgraded lower arm pre-installed for full compatibility with the BeastRail straight out of the box. If your reward does not contain a Beastgrip Pro, we'll assume that you already own a Beastgrip/Beastgrip Pro and will include the upgraded lower arm so you can update your rig.
Also note that the BeastRail is fully compatible with both the original Beastgrip and the Beastgrip Pro. On the original Beastgrip, there is a slight difference in the depth of the grooves that the vertical rods of the lens mount go into, which creates a small amount of tension and causes the base (piece that holds your phone and slides horizontally) to have more resistance when sliding it.
Pro Series 1.33X Anamorphic Lens
The Pro Series 1.33X Anamorphic Lens is must-have for filmmakers wanting a classic, cinematic widescreen aspect ratio, dramatic perspective and creative, Hollywood-style lens flares. Anamorphic lenses have been used in some of the most famous movies of all-time, such as Transformers, and now you can harness the same power with your smartphone. Bring your videos to life the way that only an anamorphic lens can.
*This lens is designed for smartphones with a 28mm equivalent focal length or greater and to be used without a protective case on your phone. Using a phone with a wider focal length or a protective phone case may cause slight image quality degradation towards the edges of the frame.
Widescreen Aspect Ratio
The anamorphic lens works by “squeezing” the image horizontally to record the highest resolution possible onto the sensor, which then allows you to “de-squeeze” the image in post-production (or in real-time with a third party app, like FiLMiC Pro) for a widescreen 2.4:1 aspect ratio for video and 16:9 for photos.
A huge benefit to using anamorphic lenses are the beautiful lens flares they add to your images and videos. Since the Anamorphic Lens contains cylindrical lenses that focus light into a line instead of a point, as a normal spherical lens would, the Anamorphic Lens creates a vivid, instantly recognizable horizontal flare. For iPhone 7 Plus users, this lens offers even more creative possibilities when aligned with the 56mm equivalent telephoto camera, by giving your image a narrower perspective and thicker lens flares.
Since the Anamorphic Lens "squeezes" your image horizontally, you'll either need to "de-squeeze" your footage during post-production if you're shooting with your phone's stock/native app or use one of the apps below to "de-squeeze" your footage in real-time while shooting your video.
Pro Series Lens Collection
Smartphone cameras get more advanced each year. With powerful features like 4K resolution and slow motion, there's more of a need now than ever before for state-of-the-art lenses. We created the Pro Series Lens Collection to meet the demand of high resolution smartphone cameras with 4K video capabilities and to deliver an uncompromising image quality.
0.75X Beastgrip x Kenko Wide Angle Lens
The Beastgrip x Kenko 0.75X Wide Angle is the most advanced smartphone lens ever created. It's crafted with the expertise of legendary lens manufacturer Kenko Tokina Co., Ltd. for edge-to-edge sharpness, zero distortion, zero chromatic aberration* and a wider field of view. Like the Anamorphic lens, it also includes a built-in 58mm threaded filter mount for attaching lens filters, such as ND, UV or polarizing filters.
*This lens is designed for smartphones with a 26mm equivalent focal length or greater. Using a phone with a wider focal length or a protective phone case may cause slight image quality degradation towards the edges of the frame.
We believe that versatility is one of the most important characteristics of a professional camera rig. With that mindset, we created the world’s first universal lens adapter and camera rig system for all smartphones back in 2013. Following that, we’ve made many improvements to the design and functionality, leading us to the latest model of the Beastgrip Pro.
All Beastgrip Pro models from this campaign include stainless steel hardware, solid aluminum thumbscrews, machined aluminum and glass-filled nylon components for increased reliability and durability, an all-new aluminum lens mount with a rubber interchangeable insert and upgraded lower clamp for full functionality with the iPhone 7 Plus and overall better performance with other phones, an additional aluminum cold shoe mount and an all-new lower arm for BeastRail compatibility and to add an additional tripod mount on the same axis as your lens.
Who We Are
This project is promoted by Jellop, a direct response online advertising agency specializing in Kickstarter campaigns on Facebook Ads and Google AdWords.
Riesgos y desafíos
Although there are always challenges with bringing hardware products to life, we're confident that we will deliver our rewards on time.
We've already fulfilled two successful Kickstarter campaigns on time and have over 3 years of manufacturing experience, as well as established relationships with a majority of these suppliers. We also assemble, pack and ship all of our products in-house for higher quality control and faster turnaround.
It's worth noting that even with our experience, there are still risks that could prolong the delivery of our rewards, such as manufacturing delays, natural disasters or other unforeseeable events.
We always put our customers / #BeastgripNation first and promise to post backer updates throughout every step of the process and if there are any potential delays, as soon as we know about them ourselves.Más información sobre el concepto de responsabilidad en Kickstarter
Atención al cliente
Período de financiamiento
Del al (30 días)