About this project
THANK YOU TO ALL OF OUR BACKERS!
Zen Float Tent... As Seen On
Never heard of floating? Watch this video.
The benefits of floating are so powerful that we want everyone to float! We want everyone to feel better, and to actually be better. We want people suffering from pain to find relief. We want athletes to perform better, and depression sufferers to feel alive. We want floating to be inexpensive and accessible!
What is a Float Tank? How does it work?
The Zen Float Tent is essentially a relaxation environment. You can achieve deep states of relaxation and rejuvenation by removing the normal stimulus overload of every day life. Touch, sight, and sound are removed.
Touch: The tent has 10" of water that is heated to skin temperature (93.5°). This water is saturated with 800 lbs of Epsom Salt so you feel completely weightless. Shortly after hopping in, you will acclimate to the temperature of the water and air. As the water supports you, you begin to feel nothing: no hot or cold, and no gravity.
Sight: Inside, the Zen Float Tent is pitch black. You can open your eyes and still see absolutely nothing.
Sound: In a quiet room with your ears under the water, you will only hear a heart beat, and perhaps an occasional eyelid flutter. When you settle in and the senses are removed, you enter a state of total peace. You are free to relax, or dive into thinking and make connections like never before. Imagine freeing your brain from monitoring what's going on around it.
The Design / Construction
We've designed an awesome flotation experience for you: total darkness, water temperature control and an amazing filtration system along with a strong stainless steel frame and double layer vinyl cover, all wrapped in a pyramid design to ensure great airflow, no annoying dripping and a full blown float experience.
We understand that the float experience is personal to everyone and we want to put you in control.
The Zen Float Tent allows you to float anytime you want, when it's convenient for you, on your schedule.
Some of the design and material features of the patent pending Zen Float Tent include:
- Rock solid anti-corrosive, heavy-duty stainless steel construction featuring quick-connects for easy assembly
- Dual-layer, waterproof, welded (leak-proof), lightproof canvas
- Pyramid design reduces interior dripping from condensation
- Custom radiant heating system
- Custom UV/mechanical cleaning system
- Classic all-white exterior
- Large enough for most humans: 8' (L) x 4' (W) x 5.5' (H)
Yes we've tested...
Our first prototype was made over one year ago with a steel frame and more classic shape. However, the poles rusted and the roof was dripping. We swapped out the frame for thicker, stronger stainless steel and adjusted the shape to prevent dripping.
The second version improved the light-proofing around the air vents and the door. Now the tent interior is totally pitch black. Additionally, a white cover was added that nicely covers up the salt splashes around the door.
The finished version incorporated the radiant heating pad, the mechanical UV filter, and temperature probe with controller. At this point we started test trials with our friends and family. Feedback has been phenomenal, even among the avid floaters!
Compared to a traditional flotation tank, the Zen Float Tent offers many advantages:
- Much, much, much cheaper
- Much easier to move
- Doesn't require plumbing
- Radiant heating to maintain accurate temperature
- Fine tune your water temperature
- Privacy of your own home
... and, it is always available!
In the last 40 years, the positive effects of floating have been scientifically documented and studied though hundreds of research studies. Papers have appeared in publications such as: The American Journal of Psychology, The American Journal of Social Psychology and Science Magazine.The benefits are unquestionable. What is questionable is why isn't everyone doing it?
Floating is gaining more attention in the media with advocates like Joe Rogan, Daniel Craig, Naomie Harris, John Lennon, Kris Kristofferson and Robin Williams.
Typically float tanks are in the $10K-30K mark, with the least expensive costing $4,500. We have priced the Zen float tent at a mere $1,700 (and discounts to our backers). Why? We want to get a lot more people floating!
An average session at a float center costs $70, and floating once a week would cost around $3,600 a year. The Zen Float Tent allows you to float at your convenience, as much as you want, in the privacy of your own home.
We Need Your Help!
The canvas minimum order is by the thousands of yards, and components are only available by the 100s. YOU are the crucial piece to this story.To make this product affordable for everyone, we need your financial support.
Here is the specific process we will undergo once funded:
1. Sign off on the final design.
2. We have three main suppliers we've been working with:
- Stainless steel
- Mechanical parts and supplies
We have chosen these suppliers for the excellent parts and service they provide. We'll call them up and get orders placed.
3. We will make space at our location and prepare for delivery.
4. When the supply delivery arrives, we will manufacture the complete product, then box them up for shipping.
5. Ship them to you!
We are serious about meeting our deadlines, so we have limited the amount of tents available on the first production run to:
Although we could get greedy and squeeze in more, it's not worth the added risk of delay.
Rewards for BackersPledge $10 or more
- Floating Fan - A special Thank You on our website as an original backer, and our eternal gratitude!Pledge $30 or more
- Future Floater - Receive an exclusive Zen Float Co. T-Shirt. and a special Thank You on our website.
Pledge $50 or more
- Toe Dipper - You're almost floating! You'll receive: a pre-release copy of the documentary Float Nation. An exclusive Zen t-shirt, AND a special thanks on our website. Check out the preview below.
Pledge $1,450 or more
- First In Floater - Get in early! One Zen Float Tent and one of the first printed copies of the new float documentary: Float Nation. This deal saves you $250! Free shipping to the lower 48! *Salt is not included
Pledge $1,550 or more
- Frugal Floater - Save Tons! One Zen Float Tent and one of the first printed copies of the new float documentary: Float Nation. This deal saves you $150! Free shipping to the lower 48! *Salt is not included
Pledge $1,600 or more
- Float Master - Our Flagship Offer: One Zen Float Tent and one of the first printed copies of the new float documentary: Float Nation. This deal saves you $100 off MSRP! Free shipping to the lower 48 US states. International backers pay shipping: message us with your address for a custom shipping quote. *Salt is not included
Pledge $2,800 or more
- Buddy Floater - This is a sweet deal. If you can find a floating friend you can both save big! This offer is for TWO complete Float Tents ($1,400/pc) with two Float Nation DVD's. A total savings of $600 of MSRP! Free shipping to the lower 48! *Salt is not included
Pledge $5,000 or more
- Zen Float Master - This is the ultimate package! One Zen Float Tent with salt and one of the first printed copies of the new float documentary: Float Nation. Plus, Shane will come out and help you set up your new Zen Float Tent, give you some pointers to get you started, and you'll be featured on one of our How-To videos! (Only available to the lower 48)
Pledge $6,000 or more
- Float Wholesaler - This one is for our friends in the industry. We include 5 Float Tents ($1,200/pc) and 5 DVD's. The EXTRA bonus in this package is a one hour consultation with FloatTankSolutions.com (Ashkahn & Graham) We want everyone to take part in the revolution of floating! Free shipping to the lower 48! International backers pay shipping: message us with your address for a custom shipping quote. *Salt is not included
Benefits of Epsom Salts
The Zen Float Tent creates its signature floatation environment thanks to Epsom Salt (supplied separately). Epsom Salt has many therapeutic benefits including: soothing aching tired muscles, detoxifying the body, and providing the essential element Magnesium.
We are three floating enthusiasts dedicated to sharing this amazing experience with others. Like many others new to the floating experience, we had to balance the amazing positive effects of floating with poor access to flotation tanks and expensive memberships. We sincerely want people to try floating, and after several iterations of DIY projects it became clear that there was a growing, unmet demand for affordable, accessible flotation.
The Zen Float Co. is a proud member of the Floatation Tank Association.
We will be shipping the Zen float tent from:
- Utah USA
Shipping is included in the price to the contiguous 48 states. Salt will need to be ordered separately. You will need 800 lbs for your tank to function.
Thank you so much for your support!
Risks and challenges
The Zen Float Co. has multiple working prototypes of the Zen Float Tent working in our homes already. The product design is rock solid. Having said that, full scale manufacturing comes with challenges.
We have very selectively picked out manufacturers and suppliers and have made them aware of the expected volumes. We have taken all the steps possible to be fully prepared as it's so important to us to deliver on time. We are also limiting the Float Tent sales to 150 pieces, so that we meet or beat our delivery time.
As with life, things can go wrong and we are relying on a handful of companies to make this go smoothly, but we feel confident in the case of a setback we can work around and still deliver. We experienced setbacks developing the prototype, and we've recovered nicely every time.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)