About this project
THANK YOU TO ALL OF OUR BACKERS!
Zen Float Tent... As Seen On
Never heard of floating? Watch this video.
The benefits of floating are so powerful that we want everyone to float! We want everyone to feel better, and to actually be better. We want people suffering from pain to find relief. We want athletes to perform better, and depression sufferers to feel alive. We want floating to be inexpensive and accessible!
What is a Float Tank? How does it work?
The Zen Float Tent is essentially a relaxation environment. You can achieve deep states of relaxation and rejuvenation by removing the normal stimulus overload of every day life. Touch, sight, and sound are removed.
Touch: The tent has 10" of water that is heated to skin temperature (93.5°). This water is saturated with 800 lbs of Epsom Salt so you feel completely weightless. Shortly after hopping in, you will acclimate to the temperature of the water and air. As the water supports you, you begin to feel nothing: no hot or cold, and no gravity.
Sight: Inside, the Zen Float Tent is pitch black. You can open your eyes and still see absolutely nothing.
Sound: In a quiet room with your ears under the water, you will only hear a heart beat, and perhaps an occasional eyelid flutter. When you settle in and the senses are removed, you enter a state of total peace. You are free to relax, or dive into thinking and make connections like never before. Imagine freeing your brain from monitoring what's going on around it.
The Design / Construction
We've designed an awesome flotation experience for you: total darkness, water temperature control and an amazing filtration system along with a strong stainless steel frame and double layer vinyl cover, all wrapped in a pyramid design to ensure great airflow, no annoying dripping and a full blown float experience.
We understand that the float experience is personal to everyone and we want to put you in control.
The Zen Float Tent allows you to float anytime you want, when it's convenient for you, on your schedule.
Some of the design and material features of the patent pending Zen Float Tent include:
- Rock solid anti-corrosive, heavy-duty stainless steel construction featuring quick-connects for easy assembly
- Dual-layer, waterproof, welded (leak-proof), lightproof canvas
- Pyramid design reduces interior dripping from condensation
- Custom radiant heating system
- Custom UV/mechanical cleaning system
- Classic all-white exterior
- Large enough for most humans: 8' (L) x 4' (W) x 5.5' (H)
Yes we've tested...
Our first prototype was made over one year ago with a steel frame and more classic shape. However, the poles rusted and the roof was dripping. We swapped out the frame for thicker, stronger stainless steel and adjusted the shape to prevent dripping.
The second version improved the light-proofing around the air vents and the door. Now the tent interior is totally pitch black. Additionally, a white cover was added that nicely covers up the salt splashes around the door.
The finished version incorporated the radiant heating pad, the mechanical UV filter, and temperature probe with controller. At this point we started test trials with our friends and family. Feedback has been phenomenal, even among the avid floaters!
Compared to a traditional flotation tank, the Zen Float Tent offers many advantages:
- Much, much, much cheaper
- Much easier to move
- Doesn't require plumbing
- Radiant heating to maintain accurate temperature
- Fine tune your water temperature
- Privacy of your own home
... and, it is always available!
In the last 40 years, the positive effects of floating have been scientifically documented and studied though hundreds of research studies. Papers have appeared in publications such as: The American Journal of Psychology, The American Journal of Social Psychology and Science Magazine.The benefits are unquestionable. What is questionable is why isn't everyone doing it?
Floating is gaining more attention in the media with advocates like Joe Rogan, Daniel Craig, Naomie Harris, John Lennon, Kris Kristofferson and Robin Williams.
Typically float tanks are in the $10K-30K mark, with the least expensive costing $4,500. We have priced the Zen float tent at a mere $1,700 (and discounts to our backers). Why? We want to get a lot more people floating!
An average session at a float center costs $70, and floating once a week would cost around $3,600 a year. The Zen Float Tent allows you to float at your convenience, as much as you want, in the privacy of your own home.
We Need Your Help!
The canvas minimum order is by the thousands of yards, and components are only available by the 100s. YOU are the crucial piece to this story.To make this product affordable for everyone, we need your financial support.
Here is the specific process we will undergo once funded:
1. Sign off on the final design.
2. We have three main suppliers we've been working with:
- Stainless steel
- Mechanical parts and supplies
We have chosen these suppliers for the excellent parts and service they provide. We'll call them up and get orders placed.
3. We will make space at our location and prepare for delivery.
4. When the supply delivery arrives, we will manufacture the complete product, then box them up for shipping.
5. Ship them to you!
We are serious about meeting our deadlines, so we have limited the amount of tents available on the first production run to:
Although we could get greedy and squeeze in more, it's not worth the added risk of delay.
Rewards for BackersPledge $10 or more
- Floating Fan - A special Thank You on our website as an original backer, and our eternal gratitude!Pledge $30 or more
- Future Floater - Receive an exclusive Zen Float Co. T-Shirt. and a special Thank You on our website.
Pledge $50 or more
- Toe Dipper - You're almost floating! You'll receive: a pre-release copy of the documentary Float Nation. An exclusive Zen t-shirt, AND a special thanks on our website. Check out the preview below.
Pledge $1,450 or more
- First In Floater - Get in early! One Zen Float Tent and one of the first printed copies of the new float documentary: Float Nation. This deal saves you $250! Free shipping to the lower 48! *Salt is not included
Pledge $1,550 or more
- Frugal Floater - Save Tons! One Zen Float Tent and one of the first printed copies of the new float documentary: Float Nation. This deal saves you $150! Free shipping to the lower 48! *Salt is not included
Pledge $1,600 or more
- Float Master - Our Flagship Offer: One Zen Float Tent and one of the first printed copies of the new float documentary: Float Nation. This deal saves you $100 off MSRP! Free shipping to the lower 48 US states. International backers pay shipping: message us with your address for a custom shipping quote. *Salt is not included
Pledge $2,800 or more
- Buddy Floater - This is a sweet deal. If you can find a floating friend you can both save big! This offer is for TWO complete Float Tents ($1,400/pc) with two Float Nation DVD's. A total savings of $600 of MSRP! Free shipping to the lower 48! *Salt is not included
Pledge $5,000 or more
- Zen Float Master - This is the ultimate package! One Zen Float Tent with salt and one of the first printed copies of the new float documentary: Float Nation. Plus, Shane will come out and help you set up your new Zen Float Tent, give you some pointers to get you started, and you'll be featured on one of our How-To videos! (Only available to the lower 48)
Pledge $6,000 or more
- Float Wholesaler - This one is for our friends in the industry. We include 5 Float Tents ($1,200/pc) and 5 DVD's. The EXTRA bonus in this package is a one hour consultation with FloatTankSolutions.com (Ashkahn & Graham) We want everyone to take part in the revolution of floating! Free shipping to the lower 48! International backers pay shipping: message us with your address for a custom shipping quote. *Salt is not included
Benefits of Epsom Salts
The Zen Float Tent creates its signature floatation environment thanks to Epsom Salt (supplied separately). Epsom Salt has many therapeutic benefits including: soothing aching tired muscles, detoxifying the body, and providing the essential element Magnesium.
We are three floating enthusiasts dedicated to sharing this amazing experience with others. Like many others new to the floating experience, we had to balance the amazing positive effects of floating with poor access to flotation tanks and expensive memberships. We sincerely want people to try floating, and after several iterations of DIY projects it became clear that there was a growing, unmet demand for affordable, accessible flotation.
The Zen Float Co. is a proud member of the Floatation Tank Association.
We will be shipping the Zen float tent from:
- Utah USA
Shipping is included in the price to the contiguous 48 states. Salt will need to be ordered separately. You will need 800 lbs for your tank to function.
Thank you so much for your support!
Risks and challenges
The Zen Float Co. has multiple working prototypes of the Zen Float Tent working in our homes already. The product design is rock solid. Having said that, full scale manufacturing comes with challenges.
We have very selectively picked out manufacturers and suppliers and have made them aware of the expected volumes. We have taken all the steps possible to be fully prepared as it's so important to us to deliver on time. We are also limiting the Float Tent sales to 150 pieces, so that we meet or beat our delivery time.
As with life, things can go wrong and we are relying on a handful of companies to make this go smoothly, but we feel confident in the case of a setback we can work around and still deliver. We experienced setbacks developing the prototype, and we've recovered nicely every time.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
We have a great blog post all about our filtration:
Basically, it's great for individual use, but not great for commercial use because it takes about 7 hours to fully scrub the tank. If you're interested in a commercial grade Zen Float Tent, email email@example.com and put "Commercial Filter" in the subject line. We'll reach out to you if we decide to do that in the future.
Check out our Soundproofing blog on that topic:
Yes, absolutely - we want everyone to be able to float at home! Just post a comment with your address (or postcode / zip code) and we'll get you a custom quote in 48 hours. Since the tanks are going pretty fast, you might want to pledge now. Not trying to be pushy, but these things are going like hotcakes.
Approximately 48” x 96” x 64” high (120cm x 240cm x 162cm)
No, only with the pretty expensive package that specifically says it includes salt. You will need approximately 800 lbs of Epsom Salts. Hold off on ordering your salt - we're trying to get a good deal for our backers, and we'll let you know as soon as we line something up.
We have prototypes that have been used for 18 months with the same solution, and it still doesn’t need to be replaced. It depends on how well you maintain your tank (which will be in our manual) and if you shower before floating.
We want you to trust that anything you buy from us, we will stand behind. That is why we cover all manufacturer defects for a lifetime. If we made a mistake in manufacturing, we'll replace it every time. Mechanical parts are a little different, as there is a natural wear and tear like any machine and we can't say it will last forever. We can say, however, that we will replace any mechanical part that is faulty for a full year. It's our promise to our customers that anything they buy from us, is made to last.
We have designed the pump with a quick attachment fitting that can connect to a hose to pump the majority of the solution out. A small amount of remaining solution will need to be manually removed with a small bucket or cup.
201 gallons if filled 10” high.
Approx 2200 lbs, about 200 lbs more than a big waterbed.
Current U.S. building codes require engineering that would be sufficient, but customer should consult a professional like a contractor, engineer, insurance adjuster, property manager, etc.
No, water doesn't leak from the unit, but when you get out, your body will be wet, like getting out of a shower, so a bath mat is a great idea. There may be condensation on the inside of the door when you open it, but thanks to the steep walls of the pyramid design, most will run into the tank.
We're thinking the 2 boxes will be at least 25 lbs - 50"x8"x8" the other 25 lbs 16"x16"x16".
We are only going to use one carrier for all domestic and one for all international orders, to make the process reasonable for us, though.
Heating is controlled with a thermostat, which allows you to dial in your ideal temp, it has a temperature probe that goes in the water and it controls the heaters under the tank.
I've had mine up to 100 degrees, accidentally. Which is much too hot to float in.
I'm putting mine in the basement which is concrete. What should I put under the tent to prevent heat loss and protect the materials from the concrete?
You don't have to put down anything below it, because the heater is very well insulated with foam, but if you want to lay down carpet or plywood, that would help keep heat in, too.
Is condensation a problem? I'm thinking of putting it on carpet or wood flooring. Should I get some kind of gym mats to lay on my floors?
We haven't had a problem with condensation, and we've had it on wood flooring and concrete. That being said, we crack a window every so often, or open a door. Obviously not when we're floating, but every so often. We haven't noticed any dampness in our rooms with tanks, even though we don't have fans set up or anything specific.
However, we do keep the tank closed at all times, which keeps the condensation contained.
You should have something like a bath mat at the entrance of the tent from water dripping off of you after you exit, but that's the only place you'll get water.
It could take up to a day to bring the temp up, depending on starting temp. It is best to keep the water heated full time.
Yes, there is a GFCI to handle that, for sure.
To know when a certain amount of time has passed, our best suggestion is for an alarm clock in the room or a clock/alarm app on your phone. There is nothing built in to our tank that will do, this but we are exploring add-ons in the future.
How would I go about moving the tank if, say, I move once every year. Do you have any ideas as to what the easiest way to move the water would be?
Pump to 55 gallon holding barrels (4 needed) or other holding tank (bathtub).
This is untested and we have no current plans to test
Support this project
- (30 days)