Thank you so much! We've done it. Thanks to your wonderful help Trigger Bell is going into full production and as well as your pledges, your feedback has also been incredibly encouraging. I'm absolutely delighted that Trigger Bell will now improve the safety of so many fellow cyclists.
Can I pre-order a Trigger Bell? Yes. Please visit www.triggerbell.com where you can pre-order.
What is Trigger Bell?
Trigger Bell is a bike bell which allows you to quickly warn other road users that you're approaching while you maintain complete control of your bike and keep your eyes on the road. You can ping your Trigger Bell whilst braking, turning and changing gear. You can now make yourself and other road users safer. Trigger Bell is patent pending.
What are fellow riders saying?
- "Stefan Buxton managed to make using the bell considerably safer and therefore more likely to be used... I think it's a great idea", Bicycle World TV
- "This looks the best idea yet for a bell on a road bike, i ordered one", Headset Press
- "It is as easy and safe to ping as it is to brake or change gear", I Bike Daily
- "The rider can keep their hand in the brake- and shifter-ready position, with just a flick of the thumb required to ring the bell.", Gizmag
- "Buxton's bell is an improvement on the New Departure bell [traditional bike bell]", Bike Biz
- "This project looks like one that could be a real hit with cyclists", Singletrack
- "Not only is it safer to use but it looks super clean too", Swaggest
- "Cool new safer bike bell", Cyclr
- "Re-inventing the bicycle bell", London Cyclist
- "Brilliant new bike bell design", West Berks Spokes
EXCEEDED £10,000 stretch goal!
Thanks so much to all our Trigger Bell supporters for helping us to exceed the stretch funding goal! Trigger Bells will be in production and will be delivered per the schedule at the end of this text.
Exceeding the £10,000 stretch goal means everyone who has pledged for any reward will also receive a set of "T" Trigger Bell reflective decals to be safer riding at night! So, for example, if you've pledged for a Jet Black Trigger Bell you'll now also receive the decals as an extra bonus thank you!
How is Trigger Bell different?
The difference stems from a very simple modification to traditional bike bells:
Trigger Bell is secured under your handle bar.
With Trigger Bell you don't have to:
- Loosen your grip or stretch a finger or thumb to ping
- Choose between braking and pinging
- Take your eyes of the road
Alerting other road users is now as easy and safe as changing gears and braking.
Making cycling safer
Trigger Bell came to life after I had an accident with a car when I had to swerve my bike to avoid a pedestrian who had stepped into the road without looking. This may have been prevented had I been able to ring my bike bell safely to alert the errant pedestrian. I strongly believe that with the right kind of warning system in place such accidents can be avoided.
Loosening your grip for even a split second can dramatically reduce your ability to react, maneuver and brake safely. I designed Trigger Bell to solve this issue. The patent pending Trigger Bell is discretely secured under your handlebar. The ergonomic trigger sits near to your thumb while you’re gripping your handlebars making it as easy and safe to use as it is to brake or change gear. I hope you will join the mission to make cycling safer!
Always within easy reach and super quick to ping
Trigger Bell is always within easy reach of your thumb, making it very quick to ping. Based on our road tests, a cyclist travelling at just 10mph will ping Trigger Bell between 8 and 20 feet sooner than a traditional bell. The ergonomic trigger also means your thumb moves in a more comfortable and natural direction than traditional bells.
“Using Trigger Bell doesn't compromise braking or control... Every split second counts and can be the difference between avoiding an accident and being involved in accident".
- James Gilbert, Sales Assistant at a large London cycle store.
Trigger Bell v2.0
In return for your support of this campaign, you will be the first to receive your Trigger Bell in time for the Summer rides! There are also other rewards for your support. Check them out.
How to mount your Trigger Bell?
Trigger Bell fits on the left hand side of most handlebars with diameters from 22mm to 36mm. This means that Trigger Bell can be secured to children's bikes right up to the widest racing bars using a single screw.
- Although Trigger Bell is designed to work with the majority of handlebar types, Trigger Bell doesn't yet fit grip shift or twisty gears.
- Trigger Bell fits on the left hand handlebar.
- On high-end bikes with separate rapid fire shifters and brakes (eg SRAM or Shimano Trigger Shifters), Trigger Bell sits on top of the right hand handlebar grip (see photo below).
- On high-end drop handlebar racing bikes with gears integrated into the brakes (eg shift and brake lever sets), Trigger Bell fits on most brake / gear combinations but can sometimes get in the way whilst changing gear where the gear paddles are larger than normal.
- For 80% of bikes it'll fit just perfectly!
- If you've got any questions please drop me a mail ("Contact me" link at the top right of the page).
Since 2011 I've invested hundreds of hours testing, prototyping, demonstrating and improving Trigger Bell. Hand size statistics, bell physics and polymer properties have been used to refine and perfect the design, components and dimensions. The guys at Instrument Product Development have been involved in this project over the last year and helped finalise the design to bring it to this stage: ready for production.
Over 30 models have been made to test and retest Trigger Bell. In short, no stone has been left unturned and I can't thank the friends, family and fellow cyclists who have shared their feedback (and handlebars) enough!
Final production ready prototype
The bell is built in to a single sleek unit made out of Acetal (a super tough material used in mechanical gears and bearings) removing the need for a separate spring and hammer. The trigger has been tested to over 38,000 pings so you can be confident that it will last. I'm also running a longer test during March before the production tooling is made.
Trigger Bell is a tiny 25mm in diameter and 48mm in length and a feather-light 25g in weight. Trigger Bell's size makes it incredibly discrete and it can comfortably be hidden beneath your brakes for a sleek, uncluttered look. Finally, the bell is made of high quality brass rather than standard aluminium. This makes every ping wonderfully loud, rich and clear.
Everything is ready to go for production and I need your support to fund the two moulds which are needed to manufacture Trigger Bell (one for the brass bell and one for the Acetal body). I have two overseas manufacturers ready and waiting to produce Trigger Bell. They have already stood out by making high quality and resilient parts for the prototypes you can see in the video. So, everything is in place and ready to go! Equally, I'll be working to get production back into the UK in the near future.
It's your support that will make production of Trigger Bell possible, so thank you for all your help.
Over the last two years I’ve worked with some great people and these are now the people who will produce Trigger Bell. That means that I can move from Kickstarter to production at a relatively low risk and in a short time period.
• MARCH - APRIL 2014: Kickstarter campaign.
• APRIL - MAY 2014: Production tooling made for Trigger Bell body and brass bell.
• JUNE 2014: Trigger Bell manufactured to the highest standard.
• JULY 2014: Custom bell colours applied to your Trigger Bell. Trigger Bells will be painted, assembled and packaged in the UK.
• JULY 2014: Dispatch Trigger Bells and all other rewards to their new homes worldwide in time for summer rides and races!
Thank you so much for looking at my project and I hope it's something you can support. If you think Trigger Bell would benefit your friends and family, please do spread the word about this safer bike bell!
Important: No bike bell will make you invincible. Pinging a bike bell may not always get you heard above traffic or the ubiquitous iPod. Please continue to ride defensively and carefully. Trigger Bell allows you to control your bike while pinging so if you're not heard then you can brake to keep yourself and others safe.
Risks and challenges
Design Update: I'm working on making the Trigger Bell even tougher and easier to fit. This will improve the design of the spring and strap in the final Trigger Bell.
Manufacturing Update: I’ve been working with both UK and overseas manufacturers of each component during prototyping. They have been enormously supportive throughout the process. Also, as so much of the functionality comes from the design and materials, this production model has helped improve both of these inputs dozens of times to get to the point Trigger Bell is at today.
Although there are manufacturers lined up with the production mould and manufacturing runs already in their calendars there is always the risk of delay. Everything possible has been done to minimise these risks and I’ll keep you posted if there’s any chance we won’t hit the timeline above.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)