About this project
Awl & Sundry is a New York City based custom shoe brand that allows men to designs shoes that are hand-tailored to their feet. We started with a mission to democratize bespoke footwear.
Awl & Sundry belts are handcrafted by Italian craftsmen and are made in the same factory that makes belts for some of the most renowned luxury brands in the world. These belts are crafted by seasoned artisans using the highest quality vegetable tanned Italian calf leather. By partnering with them, we are bringing these bespoke quality handcrafted reversible belts at an attainable price point without compromising on quality or the craftsmanship. These belts are made with keeping style and comfort in mind. Help us bring them to life by backing this project!
Created in collaboration with a number of fashionistas, our in-house design team has developed the Awl & Sundry Signature Belt Collection to cater your fashion appetite for every occasion. Cover every outfit in your wardrobe with these 4 timeless ready-to-wear designs (that's 8 belts) and you will never have to go shopping again!
All Awl & Sundry belts are handcrafted using Tuscan leather tanneries associated with the Pelle al vegetale consortium . Vegetable tanning is an artisan tradition that the Tuscan tanneries have passed down for generations. It involves tanning the leather using tannins and other ingredients found in different vegetable matter, such as tree bark prepared in bark mills, wood, leaves, fruits, and roots. Vegetable tanning could take as long as two months but there are number of benefits associated with this timeless process:
- No animal is killed for its skin. On the contrary, the raw hides used by our tanneries are the discarded by-products of the food industry producing meat for human consumption.
- Being tanned with natural tannins, a vegetable-tanned leather object can be easily disposed of at the end of its life, thanks to its chemical-biological characteristics.
- Our tanneries have made huge investments in depuration systems and waste recycling that make them work in full respect of man and the environment.
- Many of the substances used during the tanning process are recovered, recycled and reused in different fields. Hair removed from raw hides is transformed into agricultural fertilizer; sludge produced by the depuration plants is reused in the construction field to make bricks.
- Vegetable-tanned leather, recognizable from its trademark, does not contain any toxic substance such as azo-dyes, nickel, PCP or chrome VI
You can watch the tanning process here.
All Awl & Sundry handcrafted custom belts are made to measure based on your waist size. In other words, the belt will be cut based on the waist size that you provide during the campaign. We will be asking for your personalized belts preference along with waist size on the Kickstarter survey.
US sizes 7,8,9,10,11,12 and 13 will be offered in normal widths. We will provide sizing guide to all our backers post our campaign to confirm the sizes.
Risks and challenges
This is our second Kickstarter campaign since our first one in February 2015 which ended raising more than $92,000 in funding with backers from more than 30 countries.
Awl & Sundry has learned an extraordinary amount of knowledge from our first Kickstarter campaign, all of which is being applied to this campaign to provide the optimal experience to our existing and new backers.
The biggest challenge on our last campaign was timing and post campaign logistics. For this campaign, we have ensured to used the right tools to manage the complexity that comes with custom products like ours. Also, we will regularly update our backers and keep them informed on the production and delivery of their shipment.
As with most handmade products, there are certain manufacturing limitations that arise due to the nature of the product. With that being said, we have accounted for these and set our delivery dates keeping this in mind. We must also note that unforeseen complications do occasionally arise and in this case, we promise to keep all our backers informed.
Few important points to note:
- International backers will be subject to local customs import duties and taxes. Import duties and taxes are not covered by Awl & Sundry
- While all of our products include a warranty against any manufacturer defects, it is not our policy to offer refunds or returns on items received as Kickstarter rewards. We will consider exchanges on a case-by-case basis.
Support this project
- (32 days)