About this project
FREE Card Castle Print & Play for all backers!
- Pledge at any level to gain access!
- Link provided in special backers-only update
- Provided in classic grayscale to reduce ink costs
Slap cards to capture the Card Castle - a perfect party game for adults, teens, and kids alike. Easy to teach, easy to learn, and a blast to play!
Players: 2-8, Ages: 7+, Play time: 15-20 minutes
Contents: 56 cards
Card Castle is a fast-paced slap card game that puts players’ wits and reflexes to the test! Each player battles for control of the Card Castle by revealing cards from their face-down army deck to battle with their rivals in this medieval fantasy realm. Players win cards to grow their army by being the first to slap specific cards and card combinations. The ultimate goal is to add all playable cards to your army, and emerge as the ruler of the Card Castle!
The game introduces several new twists to the classic slap card game experience by adding battling armies, tricky look-alikes, powerful wizards who recruit cards for their allies, and fiery dragons that burn cards from play.
BONUS TWIST - Team Dragon: In 3+ player games, players who have been completely defeated in battle (aka have no army or reinforcements for one full round) join Team Dragon and burn entire card piles whenever they out-slap their opponents!
Full Speed Play!
310 gsm black core card stock!
"Simple, exciting and hilarious."
"Card Castle will absolutely surprise you with how fun it is."
"It was extremely well balanced and thought-out... Loved it!"
– Seattle Indies Expo 2016 Jurors' reviews
"I love the balance in Card Castle between knowing when to slap and suddenly realizing to late that you should or shouldn’t have..."
– Paul Peterson, game designer
(Guillotine, Smash Up, Pathfinder ACG)
"This slap-card game has enough twists and turns to keep things fresh every hand... It's a great family game that is easy to teach, easy to learn, and provides lots of fun along the way."
– Scott Hungerford, digital game designer
(Carcassonne, Battlemage, Commander Kamala)
"You're going to get smiles... It's worth checking out!"
– Ed Baraf @ Edo's Game Reviews
"You will like this. It is quick, easy to learn, and fun"
– Indie Tabletop
"The artwork on the cards is charming as hell... I foresee this being a drunken party game at my house."
– Geek Girls Rule
"It is fun... It doesn’t require heavy mechanics or strategy, is portable, and most adults and children can recognize the fantasy theme."
– Cassie Elle @ The Indie Game Report
"A fun new take on the card slapping games you played when you were a kid."
– Bayard Catron @ Game Theory
"Card Castle makes a fun family game."
– Christopher Richter @ Board Gaming For The Win
The goal in Card Castle is to out-slap your opponents, win all their cards, and Rule the Card Castle.
1. Players take turns flipping cards blindly from the top of their face-down Army decks onto the center of the table or playmat.
2. When slap cards are flipped (doubles, doors, or wizards), the first player to slap the card wins the battle and adds the card pile to their Reinforcements. But be careful… Don’t slap the Dragon or you'll get burned!*
*aka, you'll have to sacrifice an Army card as tribute to the Dragon
3. Once a player's Army deck is exhausted, their Reinforcements are shuffled to form a fresh Army. Battles continue until there is only one player left with cards, and they are crowned the ruler of the Card Castle!
Team Dragon: In 3+ player games, players who have been completely defeated in battle (aka have no army or reinforcements for one full round) join Team Dragon and burn entire card piles whenever they out-slap their opponents!
Full Speed Play!
Thanks so much for your support in helping to make Card Castle a reality!
Check out the rewards section and back the reward level that's right for you. Once our campaign exceeds our funding goal, we have several stretch goals simmering and just waiting to be unlocked and served up, with extra-hot rewards to boot!
- Add 7"x7" square microfiber playmats to All standard decks!
- PLUS upgrade all Deluxe backers to sewn-edge 7"x7" square microfiber playmats
- Add 2 New bonus cards to all decks:
- Red Dragon Cards - Feel more burn!
- Add solid-color microfiber drawstring pouch w/ single-color Card Castle screenprint to all decks - carry your Card Castle in style!
- Upgrade All standard decks to sewn-edge 7"x7" square microfiber playmats!
- PLUS upgrade All Deluxe backers to low-profile 8" round mousepad-style playmats 1/16" thick!
- Upgrade drawstring pouch to full-color imprint microfiber w/ Card Castle card back logo - carry your Card Castle in more style!
- Upgrade from tuckbox to two-part box
- Add 12 plastic mis-slap tokens to all decks
- Add 2 New bonus cards to all decks:
+2 Treasure cards - Slap card: first player to slap also takes a random card from the last player to slap
- Upgrade 12 mis-slap tokens with custom Card Castle imprint that will be voted on by all backers!
In addition to fulfilling our KickStarter rewards to our generous backers, we're raising funds to publish our very first production run of Card Castle decks to retail online and hopefully on a game shelf near you!
Your contributions will help with proofs, manufacturing costs, production of cards made with 310 gsm black core card stock (to hold up to all that slapping and shuffling), reward fulfillment/shipping, and Kickstarter fees.
We've spent hundreds of hours playing Card Castle, balancing, re-balancing, doing live demos at local game shops (thanks Uncle's Games, Arcane Comics, Blue Highway, Raygun Lounge, and Meeples!) and gaming conventions (thanks iFest, GeekGirlCon, PAX, Seattle Indies Expo, G2E2, OrcaCon, Emerald City Comicon, and Renton RetroCon!) to keep tweaking and improving Card Castle to the finely tuned slap-fest that it is today. We hope you love the game as much as we do and that Card Castle can help to bring more fun into the world.
Check out the rewards levels (to the right or at the top of the page) and find the level that's right for you. Thanks so much for your support in helping to make Card Castle a reality!
To make a pledge towards funding the Card Castle project, make sure you're first logged in to your Kickstarter account (or create an account if you don't already have one). Then return to Card Castle's Kickstarter page and click the green “Back This Project” button near the top of the page.
Looks like this:
(you can also share or sign up for project reminders using the other activity buttons)
Next, select the reward you'd like to receive and your pledge amount will automatically populate. If you select a reward that involves shipping, you'll be prompted to include this additional amount in your pledge.
If you don't want a certain reward, select "No thanks, I just want to help the project" and enter your desired pledge amount.
After selecting "Continue," you'll move on to confirm your payment details. If you've backed a project before and saved your payment method details, you can use them over again you'll have the option to select that payment method. If not, you'll need to enter the information manually.
Lastly, click the “Pledge" button and you’ll be all set! You should receive a confirmation email within moments of completing your pledge.
Thanks again for supporting Card Castle!
Domestic & International Shipping
Shipping within the United States is FREE!
Shipping charges outside the continental U.S. are shown when you select a pledge level on the right. We strive to ensure that every backer gets the best shipping price that we can offer.
NOTE: All taxes and additional shipping fees are the responsibility of the backer.
We wanted to start with a game that was fun and familiar, then stir things up with a few diabolical game elements and mechanics that would make game-play a little more challenging. We’re launching Card Castle as our first title because we love how tactile and energetic the game is - it’s been a great ice-breaker at demos and exhibitions. We’ve played the prototype more times than we can count, but it never feels old, which is great because we're really looking forward to playing Card Castle at game nights and conventions for years to come!
Shel Games is a group of four friends with one goal: more fun! Our vision is to develop great tabletop games that are genuinely more fun: fun to play, fun to watch, and fun to learn. Together, we design, illustrate, tweak, and streamline our tabletop games to maximize fun and minimize confusion during game nights for casual gamers and gaming enthusiasts alike. Card Castle will be our first published game!
Risks and challenges
1. Graphic Design for Rules Sheet - we've been primarily focused with the art and design for the game itself, but we plan to jazz up the rules sheet with more color diagrams to better illustrate the game play.
2. We've already found a reliable source for the Card Castle game decks and components, but we will need to finalize a source for the microfiber/mousepad playmats. We already have three potential vendors identified, but will need to work out optimal cost and logistics based on the volume of interest from our generous Kickstarter backers.
3. This is our first Kickstarter project, and we understand that there are often unexpected complexities involved in producing, shipping, and fulfilling tabletop games. To reflect that, we've set a budget and ship date that we believe will provide an ample buffer for unexpected overruns in production, shipping, and/or customs. That said, please know that we will do everything we can to get this great game into your hands on time and will communicate our progress and setbacks with backers on a regular basis.
We can refund you within 14 days of the campaign’s end, fees included. After that, any returns will be for the pledged amount minus 10% for Kickstarter and payment processing fees (which we can’t get back after 14 days). However, there will be a hold on refunds once the rewards have been packed for shipping, lasting until the reward has been received and subsequently shipped back to us.
All refunds after the 14 days close of the campaign may be processed via PayPal or reversed to your credit card at our discretion. Refunds within 14 days are reversed to your credit card.
This project is being funded in USD and any refunds processed will be in USD for the exact amount received in USD, excluding any applicable fees depending on the time of the refund being processed.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
By pledging to this project, you acknowledge that the final look, materials, and content of the rewards (and the project) are subject to change and may differ from what was presented while the Kickstarter project was active.
If you do not log in and submit your project survey results (ie, provide us with your shipping address) for your pledge within 8 weeks of our notification, you agree that we have fulfilled our obligations to you in full for payment or donations received. However, we may, at our discretion, refund or ship your pledge if you complete your project survey after the 8-week window has elapsed.
If you do not accept these terms, please do not pledge on this project but instead wait for the general release.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)