Invisivision - delivering content like you've never seen it.
Invisivision - delivering content like you've never seen it.
Invisivision is an affordable eyewear solution enabling the user to select from multiple versions of an image stream on the same screen
Invisivision is an affordable eyewear solution enabling the user to select from multiple versions of an image stream on the same screen Read more
About this project
Who are we?
PipeDream Interactive is a new interactive entertainment technology company based in Kitchener, Ontario, Canada.
Ryan Brooks is a “man of many hats” and an innovator at heart. Strangely, it was his endeavor to write a trilogy of screenplays that led Ryan to realize the product we now call, Invisivision.
One of the characters in the screenplay he wrote discovers a magical item that enables him to see otherwise-invisible creatures / obstacles / items. Knowing that most audiences were already comfortable with wearing glasses at the theater, Ryan asked himself, “I wonder if there’s a way to give the audience the ability to control the revealing effect of the item, independent of every other viewer?”
Using his knowledge about the polarization of light and the method of stereoscopic projection employed by many 3D theaters, he confirmed his suspicions with a friend, and BOOM - the concept was suddenly real.
Needing assistance in the business planning / marketing / bean-counting departments, Ryan approached his recently-graduated, Business Administration Diploma-clad brother, Josh Brooks. Josh continually keeps Ryan's eye-rolling muscles in good shape.
But the final piece of the puzzle was when the universe reunited Ryan with his best friend from grade school, Robert Bruski, who left his job on Bay Street in Toronto at the exact moment PipeDream needed someone who knew the numbers game.
A wild, winding and fortuitous path led the PipeDream Team to develop the concept for a simple yet compelling way to provide audiences with an element of interactivity for conventional forms of media.
What is Invisivision?
Why is this valuable?
Advertisers and film studios are always looking for new ways to deliver content. Too often film creators find themselves limited by the technology available, both in terms of filming and displaying cinematic footage. Consumer driven companies constantly seek new avenues in which to engage their customers.
Invisivision is an extremely affordable and effective tool which employs existing display technology to deliver a new form of entertainment and audience interaction.
How does it work?
Stereoscopic projection is accomplished by displaying two image streams simultaneously which are slightly offset. In 3D entertainment, our brains then combine the two nearly-identical images, and thus depth is created. But what if you could use the two completely different image streams separately?
Using the existing infrastructure and technology, Ryan discovered a way to use a different combination of polarized filters to enable the viewer the ability to choose between the two image streams. The benefits of this continue to present themselves even now.
Using only our proprietary Invisivision glasses, users will be privy to the following features not previously possible with passive eyewear:
- Dual Perspectives - if you’ve ever wondered what your favorite scene looked like from another perspective, you can now unlock that mystery with Invisivision! Choose which vantage point to observe the scene from; the hero, or the villain? Security camera, or POV (point of view)? Birds eye or worms eye?
- Reveal / Conceal - hide or uncover invisible elements throughout the film. Subtitles - don’t want to see them? Flip the lens. Want a different language choice? Not a problem.
- Altered Vision - activate infrared goggles or x-ray vision at your leisure.
- Multilingual Subtitles - translated dialogue can now be offered in multiple languages / dialects within one showing.
- Creative Storytelling - content creators now have unique storytelling opportunities.
- Interactive Marketing - offer exclusive content to customers through the use of Invisivision and offer custom-branded eyewear.
- Closed Captions - can now be delivered in a cost-effective and unobtrusive manner.
You’ll want to see the movie twice just to witness the elements you didn’t catch the first time!
The fun doesn’t stop there though. These same glasses can also work on many display devices at home and in your community. That’s right - the same movies can be enjoyed afterwards with each viewing delivering a different experience.
What about video games? Yep - you can now control the night-vision during battle, or uncover hidden clues to solve the puzzle.
As a bonus, we've configured Invisivision to easily convert to perform as conventional 3D glasses. Simply flip up one side of the eyewear and leave the other down, and they will work in any existing 3D entertainment experience.
What are the benefits?
We want people to keep and reuse their Invisivision eyewear. The "recycling" system employed in North American theaters is a lose-lose situation for all parties involved - they generate unnecessary waste and require the filmmakers to spend millions of dollars extra per 3D film they create.
Overseas, many countries employ the same tactic as that used by grocery stores with regards to shopping bags; buy and bring. We hope to be a catalyst for the North American market to shift the industry from recycling to reusing.
The best part of Invisivision is that it uses existing technology to deliver a brand new form of entertainment. Multiple industries can benefit from the addition of multiple content streams, and our solution is both a cost-effective and environmentally-conscious method of providing these features.
Why such a lofty goal?
We're not naive. We know we've set our sights high. However, we also know that if we're going to succeed in this competitive industry, we need to put our best foot forwards. We only get one first impression, so the visuals we present to Hollywood and other potential adopters needs to be top-quality.
Ryan is collaborating with film director Glenn Forbes to create an engaging script for a short film which both entertains and demonstrates the various features mentioned above. We have partnered with the world-renowned Sheridan College to film and produce the short, and have brought on iconic actors Aaron Ashmore (Smallville, Warehouse 13) and JP Manoux (ER, Spun Out) to deliver epic performances for our characters.
On top of producing this high-quality, feature-packed short film, the funds raised through this campaign will cover a variety of associated costs, including:
- Development of a high-quality Invisivision prototype, tooling and production
- Rental of theaters across North America to debut the short film to campaign backers
- Distribution of eyewear and other rewards to backers
- Eyewear accessories such as soft cases, variation in colour / design, etc.
What do you receive?
Our project is unique in that it combines a new product and a short film in the same campaign. Both deliverables are interdependent, so we are aiming to offer packages which provide our backers with the best overall experience.
Here is a brief summary:
- $5 - "Virtual High Five" - exactly what it sounds like!*
- $10 - "Digital Thank You" - both online and in our post-campaign "Thank You Extravaganza Video"*
- $15 - "Instant Screenwriter" - offer a suggestion for the dialogue in our short film and your lines could be delivered by our stellar cast!*
- $25 - "Tech-strordanaire" - receive a pair of our proprietary eyewear and a sleek, stylish case.*
- $35 - "Trend Setter" - same as the $25 reward, but with one important addition: a ticket to the premiere of our short film, the first Invisivision-enabled feature EVER!*
- $50 - "Epic Visionary" - same as the $35 reward, but this time you are in charge of the colour of your eyewear. Choose from Blue Fusion, Red-gendary, Char-cool Black, Violet Trailblazer and Green. A custom-designed matching case will also waiting for you at the premiere of the short film.*
- $125 - "Poster - I hardly know her!" - lenticular posters are making a comeback - because we said so! Exclusive concept artwork of our quadcopter character "Optic" created by Douglas Crawford will be delivered in a dual-view poster.
- $200 - "My Optic - Tiny" - an adorable, fully-functional and flight-capable version of our quadcopter character "Optic". Limited quantity available!*
- $300 - "My Optic - Model" - a custom-designed, speech-capable and illuminated life-sized replica model of our quadocopter character "Optic". This model features the voice of famous actor J.P. Manoux!*
- $500 - "My Optic - Real Deal" - powered by Traxxas technology, this package offers a fully-functional, life-sized, flight-capable version of "Optic" with a custom 3D-printed body and high-powered eye lights!*
- $1000 - "PipeDream TeamUp" - grab an exclusive spot as an extra in our short film. Spend the day on set with Aaron Ashmore and you'll be skyrocketed to stardom (or at least in that general direction).*
- $5000 - "The Technology Seer" - prepare to add the tile of Executive Producer to your resume! You'll land one of five (5) spots available to be listed as an Executive Producer in the credits of our short film, Proposed-Coloured Glasses. This film will be shown to countless industry titans and will be submitted to many of the major film festivals across North America in the coming year!*
*Visit our website for more photos, videos and details about the rewards available. Check the status of the theater nearest you here.
What's the plan?
When we reach our funding goal, we will initiate a sequence of carefully-planned steps to bring the first ever Invisivision film to life:
1. Instantly put our expert post-production team to work to edit the raw footage of the first-ever Invisivision film. Key companies will be approached to begin discussions on brand integration and promotion possibilities. (Approximately July)
Development of the three Optic rewards will commence. The 3D CAD files have already been created and 3D printed. The custom circuit board has been designed, produced and tested:
Here you can see the finished Optic models:
Here is a video of "My Optic - Tiny" in flight:
Here is a video of "My Optic - Model" electronics in action (8 different phrases!):
Here is a video of "My Optic - Real Deal" in flight:
2. Send the 3D CAD files of the Invisivision eyewear to our manufacturer to begin development of the required tooling (mold) for the glasses. Injection molding will commence promptly after this to begin producing all of the eyewear for our backers in the campaign, and for demonstrations to industry professionals thereafter. (Approximately July)
3. As we have already made arrangements with Cineplex Theaters in Canada and Regal Cinemas in the US, we will simply inform them of the theaters in which we will be debuting our short film. Go here to see the current status of the theater nearest you. All rewards for those backers will be set aside to ship for the premiere. (Approximately August)
4. All other rewards will be assembled and packaged for direct shipping to the remaining supporters. (Approximately August)
5. The PipeDream Team will test the short film to ensure it is of "industry standard". Distribution of the short film and rewards to theaters will commence. (Approximately September-December)
6. The PipeDream Team will use the feedback from the debut of our short film to accompany us to Hollywood where we will host a special demonstration to key industry professionals. The results of this demonstration will provide us with the next steps to bring this technology to the masses with a feature-length film.
7. The short film will be made available online for all supporters to enjoy. (Approximately December)
All of this awesomeness depends on, well, you! The PipeDream Team is willing to accept assistance in all shapes and sizes. Contribute to the campaign, share it with your friends and family and enter our Cameo Contest. Every bit helps. It's time for everyone to Envision the Difference.
It's time - for Invisivision.
Risks and challenges
Invisivision is a product entering a very competitive market place, in both film and advertising. Though there are a number of obstacles ahead, we are prepared to overcome them using a variety of tactics. We have identified the niche of inexpensive visual interactivity which creates an avenue to engage viewers more effectively.
However, the method in which Invisivision operates involves the use of a stereoscopic environment, effectively making theaters with stereoscopic-enabled displays a dependent variable in our success.
Being that our primary target involves feature films, RealD, MasterImage and Dolby Digital are some of the major players in the stereoscopic entertainment market who become direct competitors of PipeDream Interactive and Invisivision.
We've secured strategic partnerships with established industry entities which have provided us with invaluable insight into the entertainment field. Regardless, we still face the challenges of encouraging user adoption, solving technical issues such as "ghosting", and creating movement in an industry which can be notoriously slow to react to change.
All of these can be combated by convincing one Hollywood studio to produce a feature film for these glasses. A key factor is that these eyewear are used in the right type of film - one that delivers the best content for the viewer. We've already had requests from two major studios to show them a quality demo. You can help us get there.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (40 days)