A Reply to the Commenters!
So to start, as Kickstarter guidelines point out, lets try to keep the comments about the product and away from personal attacks. We are working hard to make a change and many of the things that have been said have been at a personal level rather than focusing on our campaign. If you have a deeper problem with us, feel free to shoot us a message and we can, maturely and professionally, have a discussion.
So from a product standpoint, we were approved by Kickstarter. This means that they completely understood where we were in the development of the product. We have built a functional prototype and done initial testing (basic reduction in carbon dioxide, back flow, etc.) but still have not finalized designs. This is why we stated in the Kickstarter about sending all of our backers our final designs and data before we even release the product. There are still many things that need to be done before we send the product out: product tooling and increasing design efficiency!
There are still a few things we are figuring out and that will be done by the time we send out the product. These include how we are minimizing back flow with a better more creative design, how to recycle the product and use the bi-products in other applications, and how to integrate everything with the mobile-application. As to the back flow, over the past few days we have been talking to engineers (many local to Nashville) about potential design iterations to eliminate the back flow. As to the recyclability, because much of the sodium (bi)carbonate is disposed of, we are working on a material we can use to withstand the high heat and pressure of the exhaust stream and something that is durable as well. As to the application, we're letting the people that are writing the app take care of that (that stuff is way over our heads!).
The current external structure is just some stuff we found at a local hardware shop and is in no way final. We just needed something that would hold for our testing and do not plan on (and have not been) using a petroleum based pvc pipe for the co2ube. From a product development stand point, we have done initial testing and have found a reduction in carbon dioxide emissions. As we have discussed, we are in no way 100% there and we are using Kickstarter as a way to get closer to our goals and deliver this device to all of our backers.
The CO2ube is a general carbon capture idea. It can be applied to any carbon dioxide emissions source (the materials have to change slightly due to a more hydrogen or carbon intensive fuel source). Ecoviate has done some work with existing plants at a macro-scale with our patented technology, but have not released anything at the micro-level like the device in this Kickstarter. Due to this, we are probably going to ditch the algae photosynthesis (even though the media loved it) from the device due to problems we are encountering including sustaining photosynthesis, getting it light energy without increasing cost incredibly, and even if all things go right, how to minimize back flow with such large biomass. Because of this, we are sticking with acid/base reduction and have recently been testing some new mechanisms to further the reaction.
There is a reason we have not publicly released our data (and no, it's not a pride issue as some of the comments suggest!): we want to be third party validated before we make any claims. We are currently working with some fleet owners and have given them our data- they are also waiting on our independent testing! As this process is taking place, our backers will be receiving design iterations and our data (that will be from Oak Ridge and/or Clemson University International Center for Automotive Research). We are planning on setting up a live feed to watch the independent testing and all of the planned capabilities they have. This includes a variety of terrain simulations, weather simulations, and even a treadmill type engine/exhaust system to test long-term durability and fuel consumption.
We would not be releasing a product if it did not reduce carbon emissions- that would just be bad engineering. The 6-8 weeks is based on absorption rate of our filter and that we have found in our initial testing. Because of recent design changes, we are adding more sodium hydroxide and another mechanism within the filter. The output sodium hydroxide is not being contained in the co2ube, but rather, we have set up a method to dispose of it once it is pH neutral (or enough to meet epa standards).
We only have 10 days left and if you believe in our vision and our ability to deliver this product, back us! We will keep all of our backers up-to-date with the development and data-tracking.
Just like Ryan Gosling, we wont let pollution hurt you!