Welsh production company Barefoot Rascals is very pleased to present The Holy Bible: My Testament.
On the eve of a sell-out tour, this exclusive series of interviews will explore the huge significance of the Manic Street Preachers’ third studio album in a way never done before.
Twenty years after its release we want to assess its huge significance and cultural impact. Award winning music journalist, Manics’ biographer and tour support DJ, Simon Price, will be in conversation with some of The Holy Bible's biggest fans about the importance of the album and why it means so much to them.
- Kevin will be sharing and talking about some of his stunning images of the Manics (see below) as well as giving us his thoughts on the album. Kevin’s iconic images of the band from the Holy Bible era feature in his new book Assassinated Beauty and are on exhibition until 11th January at Proud Gallery Camden www.proudonline.co.uk/exhibitions
- Rhian has been a Manics fan since the 90s and has written on the band for New Left Project, Planet Magazine, Wales Arts Review, and her blog Velvet Coalmine. Rhian grew up in South Wales and now lives in London, where she writes on politics, history, popular culture and the places where they intersect. Her first book Clampdown: Pop-Cultural Wars on Class and Gender, a critique of British culture and politics in the 1990s, was included in the Guardian’s Best Music Books of 2013. Look out for the other two names over the coming days!
- John is an award winning journalist and boss of leading music website Louder Than War. In a 30 year music writing career, and as well as being a huge fan of The Holy Bible, John was the first to write about bands such as Stone Roses and Nirvana and has several best selling music books to his name. He constantly tours the world with Goldblade and the Membranes playing gigs or doing spoken word and speaking at music conferences.
Simon will also give us his own take on one of the greatest albums ever made featuring:
- An in depth look at the music of The Holy Bible
- An assessment of the cultural, political and social impact it has had
- 1994 and the historic London Astoria gigs
Our final interview collection will be over an hours’ worth of footage (plus some bonus material) devoted to The Holy Bible. This will comprise of some archive material, in depth interviews covering the tracks and themes coming from the album and Simon's authored introduction. We know that the album is well worth that amount of time and more. This will all be available to our backers – see rewards for details.
4 minute versions of four of our interviews will be available for streaming via The Quietus website just before The Holy Bible London gigs.
We're doing this now because it's an historic opportunity to look behind the music of one of the greatest albums ever recorded. We believe The Holy Bible is just as relevant today as it was in 1994.
The only thing we need to make this happen is you! We are not getting funding from anywhere else for this so will be relying entirely on fans and supporters donations.
All the money raised will be spent on the project.
We'd like to thank some of the Manics' extended family for their support, without whom we wouldn't even be at this position. Special thanks to:
- Simon Price, Caffy St Luce and the R*E*P*E*A*T fanzine
- Thank you also to Donna and Dizzy who appear in our promo alongside Simon and Caffy.
- Manic Street Mania
We thank you in advance for your help and look forward to doing this with you.
Please spread the word by sharing this page!!!
Finally, if you've got something interesting to say about The Holy Bible and would like to be interviewed for this series please get in touch via this page. We don’t have many spaces but want to include as many fans as we can as possible DVD extras (look out for new rewards announcements!)
Cover photo courtesy Martyn Goodacre and R*E*P*E*A*T
'Christmas card' Image at the end of the promo courtesy of Dean Lewis
Risks and challenges
We don't have any other Kick-starter projects going at the moment, but as a production company we will deliver!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (15 days)